• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Texas Fertillizer Plant Explodes

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Source w/ video of explosion

The 0:28 mark in this video shows the shocking power of the explosion at a fertilizer plant near Waco, Texas, that could have left as many as "60 or 70" dead and hundreds injured, West Emergency Services Director Dr. George Smith has been quoted as saying in a KWTX report.

Way too many explosions in the United States this week. The fertilizer plant was on fire, and because of the release of methane, an enormous explosion occurred resulting in a mushroom cloud as seen here. It did pretty colossal damage; a nearby apartment complex and nursing home were damaged significantly upon the blast and it's reported to have been heard 45 miles away.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
At the moment, I'm assuming this was more of an accidental explosion rather than the one in Boston Monday which was most likely was an act of terrorism. But still it's really tragic and so awful how much violence and explosions are happening lately here. Thoughts go out to the victims.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Most definitely accidental, but the impact of the explosion was enormous. Honestly I was not expecting it when I saw the video in the article link.

Years
I'm glad (well, not glad exactly) that this was an accident and not an attack. When I turned on the news this morning the very first things I saw mentioned an explosion and Waco (which is close to West, Texas where this happened) and I immediately thought it was some kind of attack related to the Waco disaster from the 90s.

Years

^ There's the home video that's been making the rounds on the internet. Warning, it is loud and the dad drops a few expletives afterwards, like anyone would.

Also, this factory received a citation or two in 2006, if I remember right, for hazardous conditions and such. What was done? You guessed it, nothing at all.

EDIT: They were cited for safety violations last year. Wow.

Last edited:

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
When I turned on the news this morning the very first things I saw mentioned an explosion and Waco (which is close to West, Texas where this happened) and I immediately thought it was some kind of attack related to the Waco disaster from the 90s.

I didn't necessarily think of what happened in Waco, but the first words in my mind were, "Oh my gosh, please don't let this be another terrorist attack." I think it was completely accidental, though, but the entire community, albeit small in size, was entirely devastated.

That video gave me goosebumps. I couldn't have even imagined how scary and loud that must have been, especially when the girl yelled that she couldn't hear a thing. I hope she didn't lose her hearing. :\

All my prayers are with the people of West. I know many died and many more were injured, so I'm really hoping for the best for them. And I'm also hoping that the owners of the factory are charged with committing this crime if they were irresponsible enough to keep the place running despite being told it didn't meet certain standards.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm disappointed this thread hasn't received more attention. Loads more people died in this, but yet the bombings received way more attention, just because it's a "possible terrorism threat". People die either way, and you should care about both incidents, rather than just one (also note that this one destroyed houses and possibly children if it was during the day - compare that to people who purposely bombed something TRYING to get attention and that's happening). :/

Anyway, it's terrible that this happened. I'm more irritated however, that it's right next to a retirement home and a school. That is terrible planning, really. But yeah this is really a terrible thing, and I hope the families involved can pick up their lives again after this, somehow. Also maybe someone should start asking questions in regards to town planning at this point too...

Years
Haha yeah. These guys were fined in 2012 for having unsafe or no safety procedures. I think it's kind of pointless to figure about what you should/shouldn't care about. I see the same tension between the amount of media coverage vs. loss as you do, and I don't think there's a point doing anything about it. I don't really care about these incidents as much as you would expect considering the media coverage.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
This is a big deal. People are dead, people are injured, and people are homeless. I hope they all get back on their feet soon.

Also, I really really hate the video of the guy who took his daughter out to look at the fire

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
WEST, Tex. — The blast was so powerful that the United States Geological Survey registered it as a 2.1-magnitude earthquake. It reduced an apartment complex to a charred skeleton, leveled homes in a five-block radius and burned with such intensity that railroad tracks were fused. It killed up to 15 people and injured up to 180. Volunteer firefighters were missing. Residents of a nursing home were pulled from debris and rushed to hospitals.

NY Times got up an article on the aftermath a couple hours ago.

That's insane that it actually registerd as a 2.1-magnitude earthquake. Damn.

TRIFORCE, I'm curious why you hate the video? They were easily a mile or more away from the plant and thought they were safe, I'm guessing.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I heard about this last night from Luke in the nest, but at the time there were no confirmed deaths. Sadly that's changed. :( I hate that this happened so close to the Boston bombings as well. The nation is already hurting from that. My heart's with you, Waco. x

I'm disappointed this thread hasn't received more attention. Loads more people died in this, but yet the bombings received way more attention, just because it's a "possible terrorism threat". People die either way, and you should care about both incidents, rather than just one (also note that this one destroyed houses and possibly children if it was during the day - compare that to people who purposely bombed something TRYING to get attention and that's happening). :/

The replies in this thread don't amount to the people that care about this, Nica. Trust me.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well, that'd be the 26th entry in this list, lead by Texas as the area with most people dead to ammonium nitrate in the world. Security measures anyone? Something will have to be done once we find out how and why it happened.

Such disasters are unacceptable.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
TRIFORCE, I'm curious why you hate the video? They were easily a mile or more away from the plant and thought they were safe, I'm guessing.
She clearly doesn't want to be there. Father seems to be ignoring her request and fear. Then she couldn't hear momentarily afterward and her ear's still hurt now. Just... not a whole lot of thinking on his part. He was acting like it was fireworks show.

Also, yeah, not sure why some things bring about more mass sympathy than others. The bombing is more... sensational I guess, but I find this to be a worse disaster given more people died and many more are "missing".

Back