• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Football/Soccer Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducklighter

Throw caution to the wind.
Years
It's really a problem, especially since there are fantastic players in the under 21s who aren't given enough chances. Clearly, some teams rather buying already amazing and skillful players than relying on youngsters that they've essentially bred.

NGL, If there were another team I'd support, it'd be Spurs. I just always end up enjoying their games.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
My issue's not as much with the younger players as it is with the idea that you can take a very mediocre team from nowhere straight to the top with only a little work and a ton of money. Completely undermines the idea of competition and hard work in football.

Heh, yeah, Spurs is a pretty entertaining team. Although lately even I'll admit that we've been a bit... um... down.

Years
Wow I should have checked this more recently since it's been a pretty big week for football.

First of all, the Barca-Chelsea game was insanely boring to be honest. Barca games tend to be boring because of the style of play, but the only way Chelsea could win was by reducing the rest of the entertainment too. I'm happy for Chelsea though because I'm more than a bit sick of Barca. Got to question Guardiola selecting Cuenca though.

Then there was the Madrid game which was brilliant, although I'll be disappointed not to see Madrid in the final. Neuer was excellent and I'm starting to think he's the best keeper around at the moment. Ramos just... oh dear.

I missed the Europa League games because I didn't care too much, I'll maybe watch the final.

Then finally my more local note, Cardiff won and we lost so we didn't reach the play-offs.
We've shot ourselves in the foot too many times to deserve it really. A positive though is that an Olympic friendly is taking place at the Riverside between GB and Brazil so I'll get to see the likes of Neymar and maybe even Beckham or Ronaldinho.

tl;dr
Chelsea win Yay
Bayern win Nay
Brazil coming to Boro

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Well, I support Blackpool, and we made the playoffs, but we got a difficult game facing the likes of Birmingham City. I believe in them enough that we can snatch a win and play either Cardiff or West Ham (Although we'd like to play Cardiff and humiliate them again >: D ) But if we end up against West Ham, it's gonna be a very difficult game.

As far as tonight's game goes, I'm rooting for Man City. I have never liked Man Utd, and I hope they get a thumping like last time. Man Utd winning the titles is really starting to bore the premier league, and I want a different team for a change winnig the title.

Years
Ahhhhhhh I have never been so nervous for a match. This game will decide who wins basically.

I don't want City to win for two reasons.

1. Because I am a United fan.
2. Because I don't want this to prove that if you throw enough money at a team, you can win titles.​

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Man City 1-0 Man Utd, with Kompany scoring the goal. I can't view it on my tv, so I'm gonna miss the goals that come in, and I won't know who's been the better side unless I tune in to Sky Sports News.

Years
Well I would've liked it to go to United but it's hardly over yet.

United have a habit of losing the 'decider' then winning the title. (A few years back they lost 4-1 to Liverpool but still won iirc)

It's good to have a fellow Championship team supporter, Airbourne. We had a good game against you at our place this season but I think we got tanked at Bloomfield Road.

Edit: Forgot to add, what are everyone's thoughts on the probable appointment of Hodgson as England manager?

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well, here in La Liga, Madrid are ready to win after their Clásico triumph, they need 3 points in 3 matches, easy pie.

But the fun part is on the other side of the table. Today, Sporting and Villarreal (18 and 17th respectively) were fighting to avoid relegation. The match ended 2-3 after 97 minutes of insanity, including a goal from the player's own side, crossing the entire rival half with a ridiculous shot (1-1); a penalty just before halftime (1-2); two red cards for people on the bench (Sporting's coach and Villarreal's substitute keeper); a goal with four minutes to go (2-3); people throwing bottles before a corner kick; the referee being thrown a coke can; no additional time being shown by the fourth official and several time-wasting yellows amongst terror by both sides (and they didn't know how long was left before full time!). I haven't enjoyed a match this much in a while (Sporting fans though mustn't be enjoying it at all though, after saying hello to Segunda...).

Years
Mean while, in England, Liverpool lose to Fulham. This eases my pain a little from what happened last night; always nice to see Liverpool lose horribly.​

Years
Two absolute beauties from Cisse to sink Chelsea. Even as a rival fan I really hope Newcastle get that last CL spot.

Real Madrid have pretty much won the title as I type this.

untitled-8zjkh2.gif

Just for those who missed it or want to witness it's beauty again ;)

Ivysaur

Years
10 minutes of injury time? What the hell happened? XD (Beautiful shot indeed).

Also, the yearly review of the best moments in the Australian league. Worth watching.

And the 2010/2011 edition, in case you didn't watch it last year.

Years
10 minutes of injury time? What the hell happened? XD (Beautiful shot indeed).

Also, the yearly review of the best moments in the Australian league. Worth watching.

And the 2010/2011 edition, in case you didn't watch it last year.

I honestly have no idea, added time has got a bit ridiculous this season, it's difficult to get a game with less than 5 minutes added time. As a kid, it was like 3 minutes maximum.

I'll have to watch the A-League video sometime. Might be able to find a Boro season highlights video so you can witness our amazingness. XD

Ivysaur

Years
I honestly have no idea, added time has got a bit ridiculous this season, it's difficult to get a game with less than 5 minutes added time. As a kid, it was like 3 minutes maximum.

I'll have to watch the A-League video sometime. Might be able to find a Boro season highlights video so you can witness our amazingness. XD

It's 3 minutes here by default as well. We were really shocked when the referee added 6 in the incredibly messy match I talked about before, and there had been several interruptions due to people fighting, so XD

Years
added-time.png

Mocked this up to prove my point because I have too much free time. These are the last six Boro home games, as I thought it was getting ridiculous lately. Anyway, pointless image over. :P

Years
Your home form is very... sporadic; two wins, two draws and two loses.

Really should have beaten Bristol City, though, we seem to always claw our way back up the table at the end of the season. I just follow them since I am in Bristol! XD​

Years
Your home form is very... sporadic; two wins, two draws and two loses.

Really should have beaten Bristol City, though, we seem to always claw our way back up the table at the end of the season. I just follow them since I am in Bristol! XD​

The basic problem all season is we haven't had someone to create anything against the lower sides who are willing to just sit there and get a draw from us.

It's been fine against teams like Southampton because although they're much better, they tried to win the game which left it quite open. This is probably the main reason why we scored more point away than at home.

Years
It was good that Arsenal slipped up, I want Newcastle to come 3rd as much as I should hate them.

The Fa Cup was alright, Liverpool just didn't care until Carroll came on. Unfortunately we'll have to live with 'Carroll is good now' and 'OMGGG GOAL LINE TECHNOLOGYYYYY' forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back