• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Operating System Ever Made

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Just saw a commercial for W8. Again, child running around using finger paint apps only further supports my "children's OS" theory.

It looks so childish /sad

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
The OS as is isn't bad. The tools to maintain it are the problem. Even the worst OS can be made usable when given the right updates. I never had so much problems with any OS, except with Linux on my relatively new Laptop (damn you NVIDIA).

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Windows 8. I think in Microsofts effort to make every simple, they made it overly simple and completely no functional. I've used it, and I just don't understand why they'd push an operating system such as it to be cross platform. It is a horrid experience for a desktop computer and most laptops, even for touch devices it becomes very, very difficult to use because they make it simplistic.

I really dislike that OS. A lot of programs become difficult to use and navigation is made annoying and difficult in it's attempt to be easy. When I am using my laptop I tend to just Windows+R everything.

I'll be sticking with Windows 7 till they make something exactly like it, just upgraded for speed. But at the moment I'm extremely happy with it. Perfect in lot's of ways.

Also, not a fan of Apple OS's. I use them at University and will forever dislike them.

Guest123_x1

Some of the worst operating systems I can think of are:

*Windows ME = Even though it ran on top of MS-DOS just like Windows 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 95, and 98, Microsoft made the boneheaded decision to disable access to real-mode DOS (both the "Command Prompt Only" option at boot and the "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" exit to DOS feature.) Also, the System Restore feature, while a nice addition, was highly vulnerable to compromise and other problems. The removal of real mode DOS led to rumors that WinME was redesigned to run without DOS, like Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/8.

*Windows 8 = They came up with an interface clearly designed with smartphones and tablets in mind, and made a conventional desktop OS out of it, with said interface so difficult to wade through with a mouse. Great move eh?

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
Tough contest between Windows XP and Windows 8. On the one hand, you have an ugly piece of software with multiple security holes and dreadful piracy countermeasures. On the other hand, you have software with a GUI designed for tablets which is complete rubbish on desktops, no Start button, and stripping of the desktop feature. I would probably have to go with Windows 8, being biased because I am currently enduring it now, but XP isn't far behind.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
OK here is something to get haters ranting on....

Spoiler:

Years
OK here is something to get haters ranting on....

Spoiler:
Whilst its true that XP came out in 2001, extended support for XP ends in 2014, and the latest service pack for the system was released in 2008, it's gonna be sooner or later when we have to move on from XP. XP is indeed a stable OS, but it isn't about the stability of XP, it's more about the security on why a majority of these "haters" appear to be bashing XP and are trying to convince you to move onto newer operating systems.

Trust me, I love XP. However, the only reason I might appear as "biting" to your opinion is that you talking about loving XP so much, I have yet to see you comment on how you've tried other operating systems such as Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Idk but I think W8 is good imo.

I'd say vista was the worst for me it had many bugs on the release although it was fixed woth the service packs.

XP was good too since almost like every software works in it. :3

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
IMO Windows 2000 what was the point of it? I'm really fond of the new Apple OS. I'm using windows 7 I like it, vista wasnt bad to me either, I also like XP. I've owned a windows computer most my life but 2000 was the worst in my opinion.. Linux, is kind of the forgotten OS but from the images i've seen it looks interesting

AntimatterAsh

Antimatter thing.
Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2014
Sorry for misspelling operating. :)

This thread is to replace the closed thread.

SO PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC!

The topic is, in your view, what is the worst operating system ever made and why?

Me, anything above Windows XP is dumb.

Let the thread begin!

Can I just point out that Windows XP has been one of the most successful and long lived OS out there? Windows 8, Windows ME (Mistake Edition) and Server 2012 are annoying, I hear that Server 2003 R1 and 2008 R1 are rubbish too.

I have heard mixed messengers about 2000

It's good, bad, dumb, crappy and BOSD prone.

Whats so bad about it? I have NEVER used it. LOL

There is nothing wrong with 2K what so ever. I still use it. Maybe you are thinking of ME.

Last edited:

Branellope

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
Windows FECKING Vista. Also not a fan of 8, maybe because I'm not used to it. But when I click where the start button was I get a freaking tablet menu. When I'm on a laptop, I want it to look like one.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
Windows Vista. Had lots of BSOD and sluggishness from it. Went 7 and 8 (my parents laptops are 7 and mine is 8 - only reason I'm not on that one is cause I need a new adaptor) and never looked back.

Yea, Windows 8 isn't perfect with the whole 'modern/metro/whatever' interface, but that's what Skip Metro Suite is for (and Windows 8.1 or Blue is supposed to have the option to skip metro and go straight to desktop). I never used Windows Media Player (I use Potplayer for everything media and Windows Explorer for adding to my mp3 players) so I don't miss it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Windows 8 was bad enough to make me shell out the extra £400 for a Macbook Air with Office. nuff said.

Although that might have been a problem with the laptop (Sony Vaio T13 Ultrabook). But Anyway the tutorials were bad, the user interface was bad, IE was worse than ever (didn't play video on any site, sent iPlayer straight to connection test, and was so slow I couldn't even look up what gestures did what), the App Store was awful (I searched for an iPlayer App and it brought up 4 pages of results, most of which had nothing to do with video. And the endless updates it said I needed to use my pre-installed apps never fully downloaded).

Shame because it looked pretty cool, but when a virus-laden 2min-battery life toshiba running XP that had to be balanced carefully on the edge of a table so the fan could get enough air was better than a brand new ultrabook running Windows 8, I knew it was time to change.

Apple's OS on the other hand has been pretty sweet - refurbished Macbook came with Mountain Lion and I've had no bugs whatsoever.

The way my school installed Windows 7 and Office 2011 also made it significantly worse than XP. But that's definitely just their fault - it thinks its been pirated onto around 200 PCs, and office 2011 has to have the update settings checked every time you start up.

Back