• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed Enhanced Hack

Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
So, I'm more than willing to learn the ropes to make this hack, based on FireRed v1.0 but I have no issues asking for help or building a team for this project. The overall idea is really straight forward, and I just want to get some help sizing up the fully needed changelog. So here's what I have:

The core concept is to create a "modern" gba Pokemon game. I'll be using kanto as the base since I find it more fun to play through multiple times over hoenn, and there are no differences in the maps between green and red, over ruby sapphire and emerald. It should include just about everything from the modern games that is needed to make this hack feel like you're playing a modern game. Here is a short list of mandatory changes and a list of preferred changes.

Required Changes
  • Running Indoors
  • The Fairy Type
  • Physical Special Split
  • Gen 7/8 Moves
  • Reworked TM list + Reusable TMs
  • Redistributed encounters and Johto Pokemon in the wild
  • Reusable TMs
  • Later Gen Evolutions (Togekiss, Sylveon, Wynaut, etc)
  • Newer Items (Held, Berries, etc)
  • Newer Abilities
  • Newer game Items
  • Berry Growing
  • Remove HMs, Replace them with Items. (No more HM slaves. Cut=Shears, Flash=Lantern, Surf=Lapras Ride, Fly=Pidgeot Express, Strength=Boulder Gloves, Rock Smash=Karate Gloves, (not the best names, but you get the idea))
By and large the player shouldn't feel most of the changes to the game. The Pokemon they encounter might be a little tougher, but that should only make them better partners. Gym battle should be more of a test, but overall still doable. Strategy would be more important, held items playing a greater role, and so on. But it would mostly be the same game with modern comforts.

Prefered Changes
  • A huge list of things I don't know about that were added in later games for polish that I would love a list of. Like asking to reuse repels, and trapping moves not working on ghost types.
  • Fix Pokedex (remove evo restrictions)
  • Early Sevii Islands (kanto black did this to great effect)
  • Improved Boss fights (Gyms, Elite 4, and Rockets mostly. The Rival fights are actually pretty good)
  • Change pokemon evolution requirements (no trades, no gimmicks, stones needed more sparingly)
  • Earlier access to the Power Plant (Lock off Zapdos though)
  • Remove the trade floor from pokemarts, and merge the pokemart inside.
  • Make the pokemart inventory change based on badges.
  • Make Pokemarts specialty stores for getting rare Items like special balls and berries.
  • Earlier access to breeding
  • Changes to the Game Corner (Remove the grindy need to play them for coins with a BP or regular Shop, and make the coins useful for only one thing so you don't need to play them.)
  • Fix lt. Surge's dumb 'puzzle'
  • Removing in game trades.
While players will have access to a lot of things that weren't in the original game, they should mostly feel like things that should have been there. Being able to catch Pokemon that were trade only before (Honestly one of the weirdest things about that generation. Where do Jinx live? Who knows! You can only get one from some guy that wants a very common Pokemon after all.) Or being able to fully evolve trade Pokemon, like Abra and Geodude, that often fell behind because of their limited potential.

With additional stat changes, some Pokemon that suffered from not being intended to be used past a certain point (like butterfree and beedrill) can be made able to journey with you to the end without hampering you. Ideally none of this would get in the way of simply enjoying the game, and going from place to place, as you head to the elite four.

Also, while not in the list, a 'super boss' addition to the game might be welcome. Something like the red fight from gen 2. For after you beat the elite four twice, and have gotten you Pokemon to level 80+

Modern Exclusions
  • Mega Evolutions
  • Z Crystals
A short list. Almost all new features are pretty great. I don't feel these powerboosts can be justified with Pokemon already getting stat boosts, and the requirement for enemies to also use them often. Some cues from these features might be taken. Mostly stat changes (Pidgeot from physical attacker to special) and type changes (Ampharos from electric to electric/dragon) can be taken into consideration for more expressive and useful pokemon however.

A Small list of little changes I want:
  • Change the move Absorb from grass to poison, raise the base power from 20 to 35. Where most Pokemon would learn leech life, they learn this instead. (Because most gen 1 grass types are grass poison, it doesn't make it unusual they would learn this, and since gen 7 boosted the power of leech life from 15 to 85, it shouldn't be on every zubat in mount moon. This also gives some extra poison options early game.)
And this is just a list of the little things that I want to make sure get done. Mostly tiny things that aren't modern, but could/should be.

Last edited:

Burtle

Discord: Burtle#6904
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 8, 2019
You should use Skeli's DPE and CRFU. They contain, among other things:
128 TM/HM's and 64 Move Tutors
Reusable TMs
Deletable HMs
Physical/Special/Status Split
Fairy type
All Pokemon, Moves, Abilities, Items, and Effects through Gen 7
Z Moves
Mega Evolution / Primal Reversion / Ultra Burst
Hidden Abilities (this means Hidden Grottoes should be implemented)
Headbutt Trees
Gen 1-7 Poké Balls
Trainers with EVs
Gen 1-7 Evolution Methods
Gen 7 Learnsets
Gen 6 (and 7) Exp. Share
Battle Frontier
Expanded Move Reminder (up to 50 moves)
Swarms
Day/Night/Seasons (complete with wild Pokemon spawns depending on time of day)
Roaming Pokémon
Updated Daycare system
New Field Moves like Rock Climb & Defog

Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
You should use Skeli's DPE and CRFU. They contain, among other things:
128 TM/HM's and 64 Move Tutors
Reusable TMs
Deletable HMs
Physical/Special/Status Split
Fairy type
All Pokemon, Moves, Abilities, Items, and Effects through Gen 7
Z Moves
Mega Evolution / Primal Reversion / Ultra Burst
Hidden Abilities (this means Hidden Grottoes should be implemented)
Headbutt Trees
Gen 1-7 Poké Balls
Trainers with EVs
Gen 1-7 Evolution Methods
Gen 7 Learnsets
Gen 6 (and 7) Exp. Share
Battle Frontier
Expanded Move Reminder (up to 50 moves)
Swarms
Day/Night/Seasons (complete with wild Pokemon spawns depending on time of day)
Roaming Pokémon
Updated Daycare system
New Field Moves like Rock Climb & Defog

That is a fantastic list! Perfect for what I'm looking to do. Also, I've updated the original post (since my draft I was writing somehow got posted by itself?)

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2020
Some you forgot:
- double battles

Other

What I'm also thinking about is the replacement of HM's to key-items. The current requirement of having hm slaves can be a drag sometimes & even limit the option of creating a nice party. The HM moves should be rebranded into level move-pools like it is in higher generation. Offcourse outside side effect could still be implemented like how Dig can be used as an alternative to escape rope in caves. Dive could be used as a return to the place you originally start surfing, teleport could remain as the teleporting to the last visited pokémon center and headbut can be brought back as a way to catch pokémon inside brushes. Currently only Farfetch'd is able to learn Cut but a nice outside effect like litterly cutting grass like in generation II would be hilarious. Flash could work as a repel that only works in caves, having a use for Volbeat would be great.

Another thing that could be intressting is a way to get some pokemon more often. For example fossils that you can find in rocks, Clefairy that holds a moonstone, a hidden locations (possible unlock after league) where starter pokémon can be encountered. Not like the O let's go to an trainer island & find them al in the grass but more like. O let's dive in route 22 and get to an area where rare pokémon can be found including Squirtle or having an hidden area in Viridian forest where Bulbasaur can be found. Want a volcano area full of Magmar, Charmander, Charmeleon, etc.

Would be cool to have a way to obtain some regional pokémon as wel like Alola Vulpix. This include the non-official ones and anime ones like Crystal Onix/Crystal Steelix, Orange Caterpie/../Butterfree, Orange Bellsprout/../Victreebel, etc... The Alola form could for example be rewards for the game corner & the current rewards could be catchable in the wild more often. Other ways could be done by trading with for example a normal kanto version for it.

More extreme ideas could be changing entire areas. I believe Pokémon Fusion is a good example of this where areas have been improved to make it more enjoyable to play through. I really loved the Viridian Forest & Moon cave changes. Maybe an event similar to the SS Anne could be added where you enter a spaceship where you will be rewarded your first moonstone. It could be full of fairy pokémon with a spaceship crash in the end. The crashside could be on route 4 that currently is just waisted area. In the cave itself an fossil mining area could be added where you can smash a lot of rocks in order to find fossils, rock pokémon & other items

Back