Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon Alola, and welcome to the Alola region, Trainer! This is the forum for the first games of the seventh generation, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! Are you Team Rowlet, Litten, or Popplio? Do you prefer Solgaleo or Lunala? How do you feel about Alola forms? Talk about those and more here!

Old February 17th, 2017 (8:15 AM).
pleasecome
home;;
  • Platinum Tier
  • GTGet-Together Event Management

Nature: Quiet
This is going to be a pretty interesting discussion, I think!

So in SM, there are two ways you can EV Train:

Isle Evelup: This island in PokePelago can be used to increase your Pokemon's EVs. This is more time-consuming, but mostly ensures (I think?) that you can increase multiple Pokemon EV's simultaneously. As mentioned though, it is time-consuming, taking roughly anywhere between 24-48 (or more?) hours for results to show.

SOS Chaining: This one is my personal favourite simply because it's so much faster and, with Power items being buffed and including Pokerus, you can be done EV Training a Pokemon in minutes.

How do these two methods compare to EV Training methods from past generations?

Hard wind blows as the night is born
And the dark feels so safe
My body yearns for that need to start
Cause it's too hard to wait
We're going out tonight with something to prove
Take to the streets and let our demons loose
Put your hands up

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 17th, 2017 (10:50 AM).

SOS Chaining isn't bad, but horde EV training was better. Lot simpler, just as fast. Typically the stuff you could summon via hordes was limited in each area, making it easier to get the desired Pokemon to show up in the first place. Then you don't have to deal with weakening it and popping an Adrenaline Orb and then hoping that the RNG doesn't waste your time by not calling an ally Pokemon. With hordes you just Sweet Scent, click your spread move, rinse and repeat till done.

Buffing Power items was nice though and I wish they did that last gen.

Isle Evelup is nice if you want to EV train a bunch of stuff (and generally in the same stats) but don't mind waiting.

"Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

D&DTourney6th Gen
Old February 17th, 2017 (11:19 AM).
  • PokéCommunity Daily
  • Silver Tier
  • Social Media

Nature: Calm
I do SOS chaining, it's easy and fast to rack ev with a power item.
Old February 18th, 2017 (5:14 AM).
pleasecome
home;;
  • Platinum Tier

For me, I like SOS chaining for EV training. I've never really bothered with previous methods of EV Training all that much (for some reason in XY, I never really bothered with Horde Battles all that much) so I suppose my view is heavily skewed in this regard towards SOS chaining. :x

Put your hands up
Old February 18th, 2017 (5:27 AM).
Fighting a bigger fight

I prefer SOS training personally.

I use Pelago when I'm away from the DS for long periods of time.

Never really bothered with Horde battles personally. Yes, the battles are easier to set up and not subject to RNG, but obtaining the EV's takes longer (probably because the power items only give you four EV's instead of 8 EV's). I more or less used super training on ORAS for Ev's.

I think my one criticism of SOS battles would be the RNG. I think, if they had been restricted to Totem battles automatically and only started in the wild due to using an Ad. Orb, they would have been better.

Helps that my False Swiper is Weavile, whose Pressure helps to call out Wild Pokemon.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6300-2045-4545
    Old February 19th, 2017 (11:01 PM).
    Nyeh?
    • Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
    I barely even used horde EV training in my Gen VI stint; I mainly used Super Training as a semi-precise way of complex EV spreads. This gen, I use SOS battles for 252/252 spreads and Evel Up for complex EV spreads, as well as for Pokemon needing HP and defensive EVs; those are a bit harder to find and battle against compared to offensive stats and Speed, IMO.

Old February 20th, 2017 (1:14 PM).
    Shrewd Strategist
    • PokéCommunity Daily
    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
    In the time it takes for me to find the Pokémon I need to chain in SM, I could have trained like two full teams in gen 6 (because we all know, when there's one specific Pokémon you're looking for, suddenly it never appears). Once you finally find the Pokémon you need, using an Adrenaline Orb doesn't guarantee the Pokémon in question will call for help, so a lot of times I find myself stuck waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the Pokémon to call for help to keep the chain going. So even though it takes only 6-7 Pokémon to fully EV train one stat, it can take a very long time.

Compared to horde EV training, where certain routes/caves had only hordes of a specific kind, so all you had to do was go there, take a step into the grass, use Sweet Scent/Honey and then bam, you know you're about to EV train the right stat. Use a spread move, rinse and repeat like, 4 times. It's simple and very quick.

Unlike SOS battles where you have to keep one Pokémon around and hope it doesn't spam Growl or Sand Attack or whatever and make it so even your Lv100 Pokémon has a hard time knocking anything out after a few turns.

Poké Pelago isn't awful if you don't plan on playing for a few days and can afford to toss in your Pokémon and wait, but if you need something EV trained in a reasonable amount of time, Poké Pelago isn't the answer. I can see how it would be helpful for unique spreads, but even then, Super Training was a much faster, more convenient way of reaching those obscure numbers.

I appreciate that they buffed the EV training held Items this gen, but to be fair, they kind of had to. SOS EV training without the buffed Items would have been an absolute nightmare.

"My only wish was to see you again."
    Daily
    Staff Fire Emblem Collab
    Old February 20th, 2017 (3:36 PM).

Nature: Timid
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Rivvon View Post
      In the time it takes for me to find the Pokémon I need to chain in SM, I could have trained like two full teams in gen 6 (because we all know, when there's one specific Pokémon you're looking for, suddenly it never appears). Once you finally find the Pokémon you need, using an Adrenaline Orb doesn't guarantee the Pokémon in question will call for help, so a lot of times I find myself stuck waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the Pokémon to call for help to keep the chain going. So even though it takes only 6-7 Pokémon to fully EV train one stat, it can take a very long time.

Compared to horde EV training, where certain routes/caves had only hordes of a specific kind, so all you had to do was go there, take a step into the grass, use Sweet Scent/Honey and then bam, you know you're about to EV train the right stat. Use a spread move, rinse and repeat like, 4 times. It's simple and very quick.

Unlike SOS battles where you have to keep one Pokémon around and hope it doesn't spam Growl or Sand Attack or whatever and make it so even your Lv100 Pokémon has a hard time knocking anything out after a few turns.

Poké Pelago isn't awful if you don't plan on playing for a few days and can afford to toss in your Pokémon and wait, but if you need something EV trained in a reasonable amount of time, Poké Pelago isn't the answer. I can see how it would be helpful for unique spreads, but even then, Super Training was a much faster, more convenient way of reaching those obscure numbers.

I appreciate that they buffed the EV training held Items this gen, but to be fair, they kind of had to. SOS EV training without the buffed Items would have been an absolute nightmare.
      This basically sums up how I feel about EV training in S/M. If adrenaline orbs 100% guaranteed ally pokemon op appear then S.O.S. wouldn't be so bad.
      Old February 20th, 2017 (3:50 PM).
      I'm too nervous to look...

Nature: Lonely
        I'm EV-training my XYZ-event Zygarde right now... without playing the game... by playing Shuffle's Volcanion EB instead.

Gotta love the Pelago's Isle Evelup.
        Old February 20th, 2017 (8:37 PM).
        pleasecome
        home;;
        • Platinum Tier

It's interesting how people put Horde battles on a pedestal. I never really took notice of them all that much in Gen VI.

Put your hands up
        Old February 21st, 2017 (7:19 AM).
        • Super Moderator
        • Battle Server Staff
        • Platinum Tier

Nature: Modest
        I've never enjoyed EV training as much as I do this gen. I can shiny hunt AND EV train my pokemon at the exact same time! It's so much fun and so simple!

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
        Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
        Old February 24th, 2017 (4:27 AM).
        dorks
        • Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
        SOS chaining is a great method imo, probably the best we've had so far. I'm not usually a fan of EV training, but the methods introduced in this gen have really helped me get a grip on things and understand the whole concept a lot more.
        Old February 25th, 2017 (6:53 AM).

I just breed a pokemon, Go somewhere high lvled like Poni plains, and then just lvl it with a power item on, and on occassion drop some berries to remove the excess ev fat. I have a LOT of ev berries so this method is more convenient and easier then chaining, i've found.

By the time my pokemon has reached 50 it's ev's are full. It's even faster when i can go to high lvl places like a cave with only speed evs too, but going any faster is pointless.

I like that you can get 250 evs in astat by leaving your pokemon in pelago for 2 days.
          Old February 27th, 2017 (4:54 AM).
          pleasecome
          home;;
          • Platinum Tier

I think the ease of finding EV-reducing berries also makes EV training a bit easier in the long run in the SM because you don't have to worry about messing up all that much. If you accidentally give a wrong EV point here and there, just drop an EV-reduction berry and you'll be fine. In this perspective, it might as well be more useful than Super Training's Reset Bag since you're not erasing everything and starting off from scratch every time you mess up.

Put your hands up
          Old March 9th, 2017 (1:22 PM).

SOS Chaining, once you get the hang of it, is better than Horde Training from XYORAS, in my opinion. Hordes were much simpler though.

Sponsored Links