• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Pokemon Anime Remake

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
I doubt that they will reboot the series, the anime exist to advertise the games. But if they rebooted it I wish it would be about Red (Pok?mon Origins is to short) and later Ethan, Brendan etc..

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 29, 2019
I actually wouldn't mind this happening, depending on the success of the 20th anniversary movie. Unlike some, I thought that the choice to have Ash venture through Kanto with new companions is a good idea, especially from a marketing perspective, as it gives different groups of Pok?mon fans a common experience. The new companions are new to everyone, not just the youngest demographics, and I just think it keeps things fresh.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 18, 2017
I can see the anime trying new stuff. I mean in a way they have since the BW series with the way they did "arcs" I wouldn't be against a reboot with a new hero every game. Ash seems so different in certain series they might as well replace him. Thew trailer for the movie seems like a different Ash from SM which to me is odd since it is airing in the SM era

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Ash's/Satoshi's design in the upcoming movie is supposed to be his original look in an updated animation style. It's purposely not the SM design because it's not an SM movie.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 18, 2017
Ash's/Satoshi's design in the upcoming movie is supposed to be his original look in an updated animation style. It's purposely not the SM design because it's not an SM movie.

Still does not change the fact it is is a SM movie in the sense of the timing. (Coming out during the Gen 7 era) I mean it does make you wonder why since while yes it is the anime's anniversary there ways things could have done it in a different way. EX Bring back older people in the S&M anime. I mean I am all for the movie but I'm curious if the friends he makes will end up being canon in the actual anime. Like could they appear in SM and beyond.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I get that it's going to be during the time of the SM anime, but I have a hard time calling it an SM movie because as far as we know it's not in Alola and none of the SM characters will be in it.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
I also don't consider it an Alola film since it's not set in that region. It's an anniversary film set in the Kanto region and therefore for me it's a Kanto film.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 18, 2017
I also don't consider it an Alola film since it's not set in that region. It's an anniversary film set in the Kanto region and therefore for me it's a Kanto film.

To be fair many consider movie 9 a Hoenn film due to the era it was in even if they were technically in Kanto and you also the Genesect movie which was during the island arc which I think (I may be wrong) was in a really weird place since it was half Unova and Half Kanto.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
To be fair many consider movie 9 a Hoenn film due to the era it was in even if they were technically in Kanto and you also the Genesect movie which was during the island arc which I think (I may be wrong) was in a really weird place since it was half Unova and Half Kanto.

The Genesect film can still be considered an Unova film due the Decolore Islands seem to be part of Unova. Movie 9 is a part of Kanto in my opinion.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
The Genesect film can still be considered an Unova film due the Decolore Islands seem to be part of Unova. Movie 9 is a part of Kanto in my opinion.

If the promotional manga is to be believed, the entire movie's going to be a flashback that occurs while Ash and Pikachu are facing off against the Totem Komm-o of Poni Island, so, technically, it is still going to be an Alola movie.

Also, Movie 9's technically neither Kanto NOR Hoenn, it's Battle Frontier.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Interesting, although it's going to be weird being presented as a flashback he has with the new characters we've seen in the trailers and non-Gen 1 Pok?mon being shown.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
There may not be Alola people in it, but there are Alolan Pokemon. And it will probably be mentioned a few times.

It's a Generation 7 movie regardless of what people may think, because Gen 7 pokemon are in it. Therefore, it is a Alolan movie. As well as Generation 4 and 1. It really isn't just Kanto, especially when you have Ho-oH and probably Marshadow being the main characters.

This isn't another Kanto Anniversary, it is indeed all of pokemon this time, it just takes place in Kanto and possibly Johto.

And I personally don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell that this is a flashback. Nothing is the same. It just doesn't make sense. UNLESS we are already in the alternate timeline in Alola.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
If the promotional manga is to be believed, the entire movie's going to be a flashback that occurs while Ash and Pikachu are facing off against the Totem Komm-o of Poni Island, so, technically, it is still going to be an Alola movie.

Also, Movie 9's technically neither Kanto NOR Hoenn, it's Battle Frontier.

The Battle Frontier took place in Kanto in the anime so it can still be considered a Kanto movie.

For me to be an Alola movie it must be set in Alola.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
There may not be Alola people in it, but there are Alolan Pokemon. And it will probably be mentioned a few times.

It's a Generation 7 movie regardless of what people may think, because Gen 7 pokemon are in it. Therefore, it is a Alolan movie. As well as Generation 4 and 1. It really isn't just Kanto, especially when you have Ho-oH and probably Marshadow being the main characters.

This isn't another Kanto Anniversary, it is indeed all of pokemon this time, it just takes place in Kanto and possibly Johto.

And I personally don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell that this is a flashback. Nothing is the same. It just doesn't make sense. UNLESS we are already in the alternate timeline in Alola.

Hey, I'm just going by what the prequel manga indicated. You can read it up here if you don't believe me:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pocket_Monsters_the_Movie:_I_Choose_You!_(manga)

Specifically, under "Plot."

The Battle Frontier took place in Kanto in the anime so it can still be considered a Kanto movie.

For me to be an Alola movie it must be set in Alola.

The one thing we CAN say is that, whether it's Kanto or Alola, it's most certainly a Generation VII movie, that much cannot be denied.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
I honestly wouldn't mind a reimagining of the Kanto and Johto sagas, because they are a godawful mess compared to later seasons, which is when the anime finally hit its stride

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
The anime show is not getting a remake. Remakes are for games. The show is picking off after kalos with ash going to alola and clearing trials. The latest movie has nothing to do with SM anime. It be a waste of time to start the show all over again. Lets just keep it going as it is.

Years
I would not mind a reboot of the pokemon anime...

That reminds me, both Best Wishes and Sun & Moon attempted to be reboots but failed.

The former for trying to copy the Original series, and the latter being a complete overhaul with influences from shows such as Yo-Kai Watch and Teen Titans Go! (and I also blame the Japanese preferring slapstick over serious stuff). However, I'd prefer BW over SM because the former actually had travelling and battles.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I wouldn't say Sun and Moon is a complete overhaul. Ash is still a skilled trainer from before and Pikachu has the same move-set he had in XY. He's just working with not overly experienced with Pokémon other than Pikachu right now and battling is less of a focus than it was in the past. They've also made references to Ash's past Pokémon and starting his journey with Pikachu from Oak's lab. I do think this series needs some more battling and work in the story more, but it looks like more story and intrigue is coming later on and I think the slapstick and more upbeat nature works.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I wouldn't say Sun and Moon is a complete overhaul. Ash is still a skilled trainer from before and Pikachu has the same move-set he had in XY. He's just working with not overly experienced with Pokémon other than Pikachu right now and battling is less of a focus than it was in the past. They've also made references to Ash's past Pokémon and starting his journey with Pikachu from Oak's lab. I do think this series needs some more battling and work in the story more, but it looks like more story and intrigue is coming later on and I think the slapstick and more upbeat nature works.

Slapstick nature doesn't work when the bulk of your fan base happens to be much older than the 10 year old target audience. I also think the more serious nature of the previous series is what captivated people into wanting to watch it each and every week(including their 10 year old target audience and not to mention having far more battling than SM has had so far). Battling is the core of the game and having more of it, not less is what would make the series better than what it is. An example of what I mean is that people prefer the 2003-2006 Teen Titans over the current Teen Titans GO. 2003 version had a far more serious nature(with comedy mixed in) while TTG is basically a mesh of Teen Titans with Looney Tunes. 2003 version appealed to all audiences while TTG can only appeal to a handful of kids while turning off anyone who knows better off onto other programs.

When it comes to Pokemon BW, it gets more shaft than what it deserves. I mean sure they botched the series in more ways than one but the crux of the series revolved around battling. Sun and Moon revolves around a freaking Pokemon School. How is that an improvement?

Back