• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: [EM] Safe, fast and dynamic Pokemon Expansion

Leandro Zam

Brasileiro
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2021
Thank you very much for the tutorial, I hope you continue the good work, I will always be accompanying you to give you prestige.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2020
Hey man, that's awesome, thanks!

i'm just having a problem with the national dex, i've made a script to call "special 0x1F3" in order to find any errors and, when i opened the national dex it was empty at all and i could'nt move the cursors up/down (that causes not game freezing or anything like that). can u help me fix that?

one more time, thanks again!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 22, 2018
I'm new to rom hacking and I don't exactly know what I'm doing, but I know I'm having an issue with DevKit. Whenever I try to run the scripts it says there's no path to DevKit, proceeds checks wherever it thinks its supposed to be and then says it's not installed when it clearly is. I installed the older version of DevKitArm like instructed and replaced the new one with it, but it still isn't working.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 3, 2021
only one sugestion for you, when you extend the hoenn cry table control
Spoiler:

all new pokes are the same value "21 01" i think, you can change the code for put the correct values, are one limbo of egg at last UNOWN, and after it is you new pokemon cry,
"83 01" "84 01" "85 01" etc
i make it myself, but people not know hex it is hard, and if you need change it for new cries work correct.

Please allow me to bring this issue up again.

I noticed that Hoenn cries are not arranged in the order of pokedex, so an additional "cry conversion table" comes to repoint the messed-up Hoenn cry data.

The "12 01" value that all newly added pokemon will use coincides with Grovyle's value, so they ended up sharing the same cry with Grovyle. This is why PGE crashes when I tried to repoint cry for a new pokemon.

It took me a while to figure this out. Hope it will be fixed in the next update.

Anyway, thanks very much for the great expansion tool!

Years
What causes this type of error?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "scripts//build", line 102, in <module>
main()
File "scripts//build", line 98, in main
linked = link(itertools.chain.from_iterable(objects))
File "scripts//build", line 69, in link
cmd = [LD] + LDFLAGS + ['-o', linked] + list(objects)
File "scripts//build", line 79, in run_glob
files = glob(os.path.join(SRC, globstr), recursive = True)
TypeError: glob() got an unexpected keyword argument 'recursive'
Inserting data
C:/devkitpro/devkitARM\bin\arm-none-eabi-objdump: 'build/linked.o': No such file

File "scripts//insert", line 142, in <module>
offset = get_text_section()
File "scripts//insert", line 39, in get_text_section
out = subprocess.check_output([OBJDUMP, '-t', 'build/linked.o'])
File "C:\Python34\lib\subprocess.py", line 620, in check_output
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args, output=output)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['C:/devkitpro/devkitARM\\bin\\arm-none-
eabi-objdump', '-t', 'build/linked.o']' returned non-zero exit status 1

Delta231

A noob
Years
What causes this type of error?

File "scripts//build", line 102, in <module>
main()
File "scripts//build", line 98, in main
linked = link(itertools.chain.from_iterable(objects))
File "scripts//build", line 69, in link
cmd = [LD] + LDFLAGS + ['-o', linked] + list(objects)
File "scripts//build", line 79, in run_glob
files = glob(os.path.join(SRC, globstr), recursive = True)
TypeError: glob() got an unexpected keyword argument 'recursive'
Inserting data
C:/devkitpro/devkitARM\bin\arm-none-eabi-objdump: 'build/linked.o': No such file

File "scripts//insert", line 142, in <module>
offset = get_text_section()
File "scripts//insert", line 39, in get_text_section
out = subprocess.check_output([OBJDUMP, '-t', 'build/linked.o'])
File "C:\Python34\lib\subprocess.py", line 620, in check_output
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args, output=output)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['C:/devkitpro/devkitARM\\bin\\arm-none-
eabi-objdump', '-t', 'build/linked.o']' returned non-zero exit status 1
Are you using Devkitpro v45?

Delta231

A noob
Years
Yes, I use version 45 .. this only comes out when I put "True" in the line to install the Build .. my question is this: If I put "False" what would it be?

For False: if you want this script to only replace tables and to not run build/insert scripts

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023
Hey everyone,

All the work done here is awesome! I've got a question about putting all the hacks together, specifically regarding the "The recordvalue argument is not a valid value" error in PGE. I've followed the instructions document, checked this tread and made sure I inserted the battle engine before attempting to edit. Yet, I still keep getting the error. I've attached my ini, hopefully the answer is hidden in there because I'm not seeing it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023
Figured it out! I forgot to change the amount of Pokemon in the config.h for the Battle Engine. D'oh!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 6, 2023
How can I install devkitARM r45? I am getting a black screen when opening the Pokedex, and the link suggested to download devkit is dead--I installed it from devkitPro's site, but there's no documentation on how to install an earlier version from what I can see.

Delta231

A noob
Years
How can I install devkitARM r45? I am getting a black screen when opening the Pokedex, and the link suggested to download devkit is dead--I installed it from devkitPro's site, but there's no documentation on how to install an earlier version from what I can see.
Sadly, All EM repos are only compatible with DevkitPro v45 and it's download link is dead so I recommend you to hack FR. :smile:

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Heya guys! Great work on this dizzy! I have a question: for line 5 i open up python and when I enter the script line it says script is unidentified. Is there a certain way I'm supposed to open up python? I'm not familiar with python so I may just be doing it wrong :/

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Aug 1, 2018
By line 5, I'm guessing you mean the 5th step in the readme for installation. I followed another set on instructions that was posted somewhere else to help install the expansion, item expansion and the battle engine, in which it said to just modify expansion.py, and make sure to have a PGE ini renamed to test.ini and an Emerald rom renamed to rom.gba in the poke expansion folder. Launch the cmd prompt by right clicking on the folder while holding down the Shift key to have "open command window here" as an option and click on that. Then type "python scripts\expansion.py" and it should work.

Jakob99

Worlds greatest trainer.
Years
I have a quick question on this. I added in all the Gen 1, 2, and 3 add on evolutions (Leafeon and Glaceon were replaced with two new custom made Pokemon. I still counted them for that purpose) introduced in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, but I made too many national dex slots and Hoehn dex slots and I want to know if I can deexpand the Pokedex (that is, take away the useless slots). I have 430 National Dex Slots and 255 Hoehn dex slots. I need those to be reduced to 412 National dex slots (412 is Deoxys, and this does not count the 26 ???'s between Celebii and Treecko. If it did, then I'd have 438) and 246 Hoehn Dex slots (with 246 being Deoxys to keep it the same as the original dex). Anyone know how to deexpand the pokedex? I edited the expansion.py and changed the X value next to new_pokes to 22 (so it removes three uneeded slots), dex pokes to 412 (so it removes the 18 uneeded national dex slots), and hoehn dex Pokes to 246 so it removes the uneeded hoehn slots. I have all the Pokemon programed with dex entries and arranged how I want some of them to be (so Budew appears above Roselia, etc. Any new Pokemon pre-evolution without a Hoehn dex slot got slotted between Metagross and Regirock), so restarting is not really an option. Any help is appreciated.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
Has anyone been able to figure out how to get the second frames working with this? Currently, no expanded Pokemon will use their second frame for whatever reason. It makes it basically impossible to add any animations which is really lame

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 8, 2019
I don't particular consider myself dumb with computer stuff but i legitimately don't understand like 20% of the instructions for how to do this. I've trialed and error my way to a rom that is expanded but no matter what i do The dex won't work right, either being completely blank or just not showing expanded pokes(clearly because in that case i expanded national only). It also bugs out my rom upon receiving my dex and pokeballs from the professor. I'm given someone in the number of 1000s of pokeballs and all my personal numbers on the trainer card and my money go nuts. I know for a fact i'm doing something wrong but i legit have no idea where to start. I'm only trying to add about 400 pokemon. Would like everything to be on the regional dex too or start with the national dex but figuring out what i'm doing wrong would help first.

Back