The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #27126    
Old November 3rd, 2013 (6:31 AM). Edited November 3rd, 2013 by Aruaruu.
Aruaruu Aruaruu is offline
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 199
    So I am making some e4 rematches in emerald and it seems to be going quite well except for this.

    Spoiler:


    The problem? It is meant to show Sidney, not Wallace. This also happens to the other e4 members too.
    I had to replace a few trainers to fit them (the e4 rematches) in, so that may be causing it somehow?

    This is what it should look like.
    Spoiler:

    Relevant Advertising!

      #27127    
    Old November 3rd, 2013 (7:36 AM).
    PokéMew's Avatar
    PokéMew PokéMew is offline
    Pokémon Fuchsia
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Location: Refresh
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Modest
    Posts: 490
    Does anyone know the fire red offset of the title screen background, the one with the fireballs flying up? I am trying to replace it and when I try to fully colorize it I need the offset first...
    Thanks, PokéMew
      #27128    
    Old November 3rd, 2013 (8:05 AM).
    Rezordaxx's Avatar
    Rezordaxx Rezordaxx is offline
    Asks many questions!
       
      Join Date: Aug 2013
      Location: The Netherlands
      Age: 19
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 290
      How do you change the in battle status bar (with the hp ,lvl and exp)
      __________________

      My hack
        #27129    
      Old November 3rd, 2013 (9:04 AM).
      rusticolus's Avatar
      rusticolus rusticolus is offline
      Grass/Flying
         
        Join Date: Apr 2008
        Age: 28
        Gender:
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 34
        Hi folks, quick question…

        In Spiky's DS Map Editor, is it possible to increase the number of different wild pokemon available in an area?

        For example, let's say Route 29. I understand that I could REPLACE Pidgey with whatever Pokemon I want. But can I ADD a new option to that route (instead of replacing)?

        Thanks!
          #27130    
        Old November 3rd, 2013 (10:16 AM). Edited November 3rd, 2013 by karatekid552.
        karatekid552's Avatar
        karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
        What happens if I push it?....
           
          Join Date: Nov 2012
          Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Bold
          Posts: 1,766
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
          Hello~
          I'm having a problem with Overworld Editor (Rebirth). I erased frame 0 of the player's sprite and drew this one in place of it (Snivy):



          After checking what it looks like in-game, this showed up:



          Columns of the sprite are invisible. Does anyone know what the problem is?
          I have had this issue before, and it is one of the reasons I don't use OWERE. Use NSE Classic. It has the same base interface but with more features, fewer bugs, and much easier to use. Basically an updated version. And, best of all, the creator is still currently semi-active (but lost the source:( ).

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Rezordaxx View Post
          So i need to go to a setflag offset (0x806E6A0) in a hex editor and set a breakpoint. What is a breakpoint? 00 or something?
          After you read The Concept of ASM, go and read HackMew's tutorial. It explains how to work with breakpoints.

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by PokéMew151 View Post
          Does anyone know the fire red offset of the title screen background, the one with the fireballs flying up? I am trying to replace it and when I try to fully colorize it I need the offset first...
          Thanks, PokéMew
          I can tell you the offset you need to overwrite to get rid of it.:P Umm, I found them in Un-Lz at one point. I think they are listed on one of the many tutorials for titlescreens around here.

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Rezordaxx View Post
          How do you change the in battle status bar (with the hp ,lvl and exp)
          Image editing. Find them in Un-Lz and edit them.
          __________________

          Paired with Simba
            #27131    
          Old November 3rd, 2013 (12:55 PM).
          Nuclearpoypoy's Avatar
          Nuclearpoypoy Nuclearpoypoy is offline
             
            Join Date: Nov 2013
            Location: The Internet
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Jolly
            Posts: 8
            Hello everyone ,so I downloaded an IPS patch for a hack I wanted to play an I did the usual "put the files in the same folder rename the file" trick but when I put the rom I VBA I get a white screen. I have my save type as 128K already so I don't think I need to change that. Is it a corrupted rom file? I downloaded it recently but I'm not sure.
              #27132    
            Old November 3rd, 2013 (1:11 PM).
            karatekid552's Avatar
            karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
            What happens if I push it?....
               
              Join Date: Nov 2012
              Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Bold
              Posts: 1,766
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Nuclearpoypoy View Post
              Hello everyone ,so I downloaded an IPS patch for a hack I wanted to play an I did the usual "put the files in the same folder rename the file" trick but when I put the rom I VBA I get a white screen. I have my save type as 128K already so I don't think I need to change that. Is it a corrupted rom file? I downloaded it recently but I'm not sure.
              Did you actually apply the patch? or are you relying on VBA's auto-patch method? Auto-patching is a terrible idea, IMO. Actually patch the rom and give it a try. Also, make sure you have the correct rom type (E, J, S, etc).
              __________________

              Paired with Simba
                #27133    
              Old November 3rd, 2013 (1:25 PM). Edited November 3rd, 2013 by Rezordaxx.
              Rezordaxx's Avatar
              Rezordaxx Rezordaxx is offline
              Asks many questions!
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2013
                Location: The Netherlands
                Age: 19
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 290
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                Image editing. Find them in Un-Lz and edit them.
                Do you think there is a way to make it seetrough? Like i want the color red but i want it to make so that i can see the red but also can see what is behind it?

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                You need to disable the call to the flagdecrypter that happens whenever you use surf. There are multiple calls to it by bl. It's offset is 0x0806E5C0 (I think this is the flagdecrypter that is used here.). Either way, set a breakpoint on that and then try to surf. Ideally, it should only run when a flag needs to be checked, so it should break only when the surf flag is being checked. From there, you can work backwards using the LR to find the routine which called it. If I remember correctly, this routine will have the flag number loaded into a register, then there is a bl to the decrypter, and then a cmp. The cmp and bl can then be overwritten so that the action which is called when the flag is set is always called, even if it not set.

                If you don't know ASM, never a better time to learn. Trust me, it makes hacking a lot more fun and interesting. ASM is the gateway into finally understanding what you are doing when you hack and opens up every single possibility.
                Ive read your tutorial and hackmews. So now I know when you set a breakpoint on a routine and you activate the routine (offset) the game opens the debugger where you can put commands in it, so the part in bold on the quote I understand but what is a LR and what is a CMP and a bl could you link me another tutorial?

                I really appreciate the help and what youve done for me until now
                __________________

                My hack
                  #27134    
                Old November 3rd, 2013 (3:18 PM).
                KuroSeka's Avatar
                KuroSeka KuroSeka is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2013
                  Gender:
                  Posts: 15
                  I have a ask with SDME anyone can help me?
                    #27135    
                  Old November 3rd, 2013 (4:43 PM).
                  rusticolus's Avatar
                  rusticolus rusticolus is offline
                  Grass/Flying
                     
                    Join Date: Apr 2008
                    Age: 28
                    Gender:
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 34
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by rusticolus View Post
                    Hi folks, quick question…

                    In Spiky's DS Map Editor, is it possible to increase the number of different wild pokemon available in an area?

                    For example, let's say Route 29. I understand that I could REPLACE Pidgey with whatever Pokemon I want. But can I ADD a new option to that route (instead of replacing)?

                    Thanks!
                    Sorry, one thing to add… I don't need to learn HOW to do it… just whether or not it's possible. (I don't have the software yet)

                    Thanks again.
                      #27136    
                    Old November 3rd, 2013 (4:53 PM).
                    Rezordaxx's Avatar
                    Rezordaxx Rezordaxx is offline
                    Asks many questions!
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2013
                      Location: The Netherlands
                      Age: 19
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Relaxed
                      Posts: 290
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by rusticolus View Post
                      Sorry, one thing to add… I don't need to learn HOW to do it… just whether or not it's possible. (I don't have the software yet)

                      Thanks again.
                      I think the best way to find out is download the software and try it, ;)
                      __________________

                      My hack
                        #27137    
                      Old November 3rd, 2013 (5:40 PM).
                      Renegade's Avatar
                      Renegade Renegade is offline
                      Time for real life...
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2011
                        Location: United States
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Careful
                        Posts: 998
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                        I have had this issue before, and it is one of the reasons I don't use OWERE. Use NSE Classic. It has the same base interface but with more features, fewer bugs, and much easier to use. Basically an updated version. And, best of all, the creator is still currently semi-active (but lost the source:( ).
                        I downloaded NSE Classic (instead of OWERE) and loaded up the frame and redrew it. After that, I checked it in-game and the same result showed up. Do you know if there is any way to fix this problem? I really need to figure this out...
                          #27138    
                        Old November 3rd, 2013 (6:46 PM).
                        karatekid552's Avatar
                        karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                        What happens if I push it?....
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2012
                          Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Bold
                          Posts: 1,766
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
                          I downloaded NSE Classic (instead of OWERE) and loaded up the frame and redrew it. After that, I checked it in-game and the same result showed up. Do you know if there is any way to fix this problem? I really need to figure this out...
                          I think the corruption might be stuck in there. Try repointing the image data (don't copy frames) and then try again. You can do that all in NSE.
                          __________________

                          Paired with Simba
                            #27139    
                          Old November 3rd, 2013 (6:49 PM).
                          Renegade's Avatar
                          Renegade Renegade is offline
                          Time for real life...
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2011
                            Location: United States
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Careful
                            Posts: 998
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                            I think the corruption might be stuck in there. Try repointing the image data (don't copy frames) and then try again. You can do that all in NSE.
                            Argh, it didn't get rid of the corruption... I do have many backups, but the one before OW editing was quite a while ago. Guess I'll have to restore from backup. Thanks for the info, anyways. At least I learned something from this -_-
                              #27140    
                            Old November 3rd, 2013 (6:49 PM). Edited November 3rd, 2013 by karatekid552.
                            karatekid552's Avatar
                            karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                            What happens if I push it?....
                               
                              Join Date: Nov 2012
                              Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Bold
                              Posts: 1,766
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Rezordaxx View Post
                              Do you think there is a way to make it seetrough? Like i want the color red but i want it to make so that i can see the red but also can see what is behind it?
                              See through is tough and will require ASM. Let's work on one tough thing at a time.:P

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Rezordaxx View Post
                              Ive read your tutorial and hackmews. So now I know when you set a breakpoint on a routine and you activate the routine (offset) the game opens the debugger where you can put commands in it, so the part in bold on the quote I understand but what is a LR and what is a CMP and a bl could you link me another tutorial?

                              I really appreciate the help and what youve done for me until now
                              This will help you greatly: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pq34x0jrni4uqt/THUMB%20Reference.pdf

                              "bl" and "cmp" are commands in ASM, like "goto" and "if" are in C.

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
                              Argh, it didn't get rid of the corruption... I do have many backups, but the one before OW editing was quite a while ago. Guess I'll have to restore from backup. Thanks for the info, anyways. At least I learned something from this -_-
                              Dude? Did you even read the second half of my response?? Just repoint the frames... The corruption is most likely in the image itself... So repoint to some free space, get a clean slate, and then draw/import the images again.
                              __________________

                              Paired with Simba
                                #27141    
                              Old November 3rd, 2013 (7:55 PM).
                              rusticolus's Avatar
                              rusticolus rusticolus is offline
                              Grass/Flying
                                 
                                Join Date: Apr 2008
                                Age: 28
                                Gender:
                                Nature: Calm
                                Posts: 34
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Rezordaxx View Post
                                I think the best way to find out is download the software and try it, ;)
                                I'm afraid there are complicating factors. If it was that straight-forward for me I'd have done it.

                                Would you mind just answering it if it's an easy question?

                                To repeat, in Spiky's DS Map Editor (that's what you guys are referring to as SDME, right?), can you add more different wild pokemon to a route, rather than just replacing them? Like, could I make it so there are 15 different wild pokemon on route 29, instead of just the 4.
                                  #27142    
                                Old November 3rd, 2013 (10:03 PM).
                                Konekodemon's Avatar
                                Konekodemon Konekodemon is offline
                                The Master of Pokemon Breeding
                                 
                                Join Date: Mar 2007
                                Location: NC
                                Age: 33
                                Gender: Female
                                Nature: Gentle
                                Posts: 1,999
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Nelsyv View Post
                                Ahem.

                                http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vba+link

                                I assume you mean link over the internet using VBA?
                                No that won't work. I meant actually with someone online who's not in the room with me.
                                __________________

                                Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
                                Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=231549&ref=61528
                                Get a Free PS3, this is no joke: http://www.YourPS34free.com/index.php?ref=5580831
                                  #27143    
                                Old November 4th, 2013 (12:39 AM).
                                dondon151 dondon151 is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jan 2012
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Posts: 33
                                  I have a question that has to do with palettes for overworld sprites:

                                  I added overworlds of the Kanto starters to FireRed (bitmaps taken from the HGSS OWs), inserted their own palettes, pointed them, etc. The OWs look fine in Overworld Editor RE, but they don't work in-game.

                                  Relevant screenshot:


                                  So here's the deal. In this little event, Bulbasaur appears first, then Charmander, then Squirtle (you can hardly tell because the colors are so messed up, but it's Squirtle). Bulbasaur's palette is fine to begin with. Then when Charmander appears, I suppose it changes Bulbasaur's palette to Charmander's. Squirtle's palette is just... yeah.

                                  In Overworld Editor RE, I sort of figured out that the problem has to do with the "Unknown Data 2" field. Both the Bulbasaur and Charmander OWs have 1A 01 00 00 in that field whereas the Squirtle OW uses 19 01 00 00. If I change the first byte to 10, it screws up the player OW's palette. If I change it to anything other than 1A, the OW screws up like Squirtle up there.

                                  Without going deeper into the details, does anyone know why this happens and how I can prevent it from happening? As an aside, I'm not using JPAN's Hacked Engine (which gave me huge headaches when trying to figure out how to insert new OWs because most of the guides require it).
                                    #27144    
                                  Old November 4th, 2013 (1:11 AM).
                                  chrunch chrunch is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Oct 2009
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Posts: 1,350
                                  How could I change the multichoice box options using a hex editor? Is it just as simple as finding the offset and changing a few bytes?
                                  __________________
                                    #27145    
                                  Old November 4th, 2013 (5:10 AM).
                                  Aruaruu Aruaruu is offline
                                     
                                    Join Date: Sep 2011
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Posts: 199
                                    Still need help with this.
                                    Post is here -> http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7917116&postcount=27297
                                      #27146    
                                    Old November 4th, 2013 (5:17 AM). Edited November 4th, 2013 by karatekid552.
                                    karatekid552's Avatar
                                    karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                                    What happens if I push it?....
                                       
                                      Join Date: Nov 2012
                                      Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Bold
                                      Posts: 1,766
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by dondon151 View Post
                                      I have a question that has to do with palettes for overworld sprites:

                                      I added overworlds of the Kanto starters to FireRed (bitmaps taken from the HGSS OWs), inserted their own palettes, pointed them, etc. The OWs look fine in Overworld Editor RE, but they don't work in-game.

                                      Relevant screenshot:


                                      So here's the deal. In this little event, Bulbasaur appears first, then Charmander, then Squirtle (you can hardly tell because the colors are so messed up, but it's Squirtle). Bulbasaur's palette is fine to begin with. Then when Charmander appears, I suppose it changes Bulbasaur's palette to Charmander's. Squirtle's palette is just... yeah.

                                      In Overworld Editor RE, I sort of figured out that the problem has to do with the "Unknown Data 2" field. Both the Bulbasaur and Charmander OWs have 1A 01 00 00 in that field whereas the Squirtle OW uses 19 01 00 00. If I change the first byte to 10, it screws up the player OW's palette. If I change it to anything other than 1A, the OW screws up like Squirtle up there.

                                      Without going deeper into the details, does anyone know why this happens and how I can prevent it from happening? As an aside, I'm not using JPAN's Hacked Engine (which gave me huge headaches when trying to figure out how to insert new OWs because most of the guides require it).
                                      My guide doesn't require JPAN's engine. Look for: "Advance Overworld Sprite Editing: Part 2".

                                      The reason the palettes collide is because in that series of bytes, it is is 1X010000. Only the X matters. If you go into VBA->Tools->Palette Viewer, you will see 16 palettes for OBJ. That X determines which palette slot is used for the OW. Only 0-A are availible. 0 is always the player.

                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
                                      How could I change the multichoice box options using a hex editor? Is it just as simple as finding the offset and changing a few bytes?
                                      There is a tutorial around here somewhere.... Look for it.
                                      __________________

                                      Paired with Simba
                                        #27147    
                                      Old November 4th, 2013 (7:41 AM).
                                      PokéMew's Avatar
                                      PokéMew PokéMew is offline
                                      Pokémon Fuchsia
                                       
                                      Join Date: Sep 2013
                                      Location: Refresh
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Modest
                                      Posts: 490
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                                      I can tell you the offset you need to overwrite to get rid of it.:P Umm, I found them in Un-Lz at one point. I think they are listed on one of the many tutorials for titlescreens around here.
                                      Um.... You never told me the offset, and I did look at a ton of titlescreen Background tutorials, and they all gave me the charizard intro offset. So I would like to know the actual offset number...
                                        #27148    
                                      Old November 4th, 2013 (11:03 AM).
                                      Rezordaxx's Avatar
                                      Rezordaxx Rezordaxx is offline
                                      Asks many questions!
                                         
                                        Join Date: Aug 2013
                                        Location: The Netherlands
                                        Age: 19
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Relaxed
                                        Posts: 290
                                        How could i make something like the boat script on emerald that you talk to the guy and the guy brings you with the boat somewhere if i know how to do that i wouldnt need to surf ..
                                        __________________

                                        My hack
                                          #27149    
                                        Old November 4th, 2013 (11:16 AM).
                                        karatekid552's Avatar
                                        karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                                        What happens if I push it?....
                                           
                                          Join Date: Nov 2012
                                          Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Bold
                                          Posts: 1,766
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by PokéMew151 View Post
                                          Um.... You never told me the offset, and I did look at a ton of titlescreen Background tutorials, and they all gave me the charizard intro offset. So I would like to know the actual offset number...
                                          Sorry about that. Okay, all of the pointers (or at least most of them) for the titlescreen images are located at 0x78A90 along with there pallettes. Check every pointer you find in the surrounding bytes and see what you find. Also:
                                          Code:
                                              Disable OAMs on TS:
                                                  [08078FE0]= C0 46
                                                  [08078FE2]= C0 46
                                                  [08078FE8]= C0 46
                                                  [08078FEA]= C0 46
                                          __________________

                                          Paired with Simba
                                            #27150    
                                          Old November 4th, 2013 (2:38 PM).
                                          dondon151 dondon151 is offline
                                             
                                            Join Date: Jan 2012
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Posts: 33
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                                            My guide doesn't require JPAN's engine. Look for: "Advance Overworld Sprite Editing: Part 2".
                                            Ah, right! I did use your guide extensively after finding it halfway through repointing stuff. It was indeed immensely helpful.

                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                                            The reason the palettes collide is because in that series of bytes, it is is 1X010000. Only the X matters. If you go into VBA->Tools->Palette Viewer, you will see 16 palettes for OBJ. That X determines which palette slot is used for the OW. Only 0-A are availible. 0 is always the player.
                                            Hmm... So does that mean that I have to use the existing palettes for newly inserted OWs? I checked the Palette Viewer when the player is in Oak's lab and slots 0-9 seem to be used. I know that slots 1-5 are commonly used for other OWs, but when I assigned values of 6-9 for X, the new palette wouldn't load into that slot. Only slot A seems to work (probably because it's unused). Is there some way around this, or do I just have to make do with existing palettes instead of inserting a new palette for each new OW?
                                            Closed Thread

                                            Quick Reply

                                            Join the conversation!

                                            Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                            Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                            Sponsored Links
                                            Thread Tools

                                            Posting Rules
                                            You may not post new threads
                                            You may not post replies
                                            You may not post attachments
                                            You may not edit your posts

                                            BB code is On
                                            Smilies are On
                                            [IMG] code is On
                                            HTML code is Off

                                            Forum Jump


                                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:54 AM.