• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I have two somewhat related questions. The first is, how can I change the default names for the player? For example, when you enter a blank name, it randomly substitutes a stored name {Red, Ash, among others). Also, how do we change the four default names for the Rival. It looks like a multichoice, but I don't see it listed in the XSE list of multichoices. I know it can be done (I've seen it before), but have no idea how. Thanks

You can change the default names of the player and rival by converting them in to HEX and changing them in a HEX editor or using Advance Text. Both of these links list every name that the male and female protagonists can have, which will hopefully save you time in the long run :)

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
You can change the default names of the player and rival by converting them in to HEX and changing them in a HEX editor or using Advance Text. Both of these links list every name that the male and female protagonists can have, which will hopefully save you time in the long run :)

Does the rival 'multichoice' work in the same way? From my experience, multichoices are generally annoying to edit

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Does the rival 'multichoice' work in the same way? From my experience, multichoices are generally annoying to edit

I've changed the rival's name list by using Advance Text with no repercussions so it isn't very hard to do. Search for his name in the program, change it and repoint if necessary.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
i need some help with the world map, namely telling the game which world map to pull up. i used some of the maps from the sevii islands (firered btw) for some of the towns and routes for the main region. i got all the fly points to work fine when im in a town that was already linked to map 1 (kanto), and can fly to these towns just fine. however, when im in one of those towns or routes, it still calls up the map it used to be on (sevii island [insert here]). i need to know how to make it call up the map i need when im in these places, because it'd be a major pain for the player to have to go to the next route over or wherever in order to fly where they need to go. thanks in advance

edit: ive already looked at the world map editor and the normal header tab in advancemap, and i cant find anything that looks like what i need. ill check real quick in professional header view though..

putting this here cuz its gonna get ignored at the bottom of the last page. and i couldnt see anything in professional header view that would help me with this either.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
i need some help with the world map, namely telling the game which world map to pull up. i used some of the maps from the sevii islands (firered btw) for some of the towns and routes for the main region. i got all the fly points to work fine when im in a town that was already linked to map 1 (kanto), and can fly to these towns just fine. however, when im in one of those towns or routes, it still calls up the map it used to be on (sevii island [insert here]). i need to know how to make it call up the map i need when im in these places, because it'd be a major pain for the player to have to go to the next route over or wherever in order to fly where they need to go. thanks in advance

edit: ive already looked at the world map editor and the normal header tab in advancemap, and i cant find anything that looks like what i need. ill check real quick in professional header view though..

As far as I can tell, he only thing you can do is rewrite the map data in a hex editor. There's a good tutorial here that tell you whats involved (but it is tricky)

Years
I've been editing some text in Firered with hex offsets not listed in Advance Text.
So far I've been taking nearby offsets listed in Advance-Text, used them to find the text converted from hex to (Poke)ASCII in XSE's hex viewer, and then manually changed them with a hex editor.

To be blunt, is there an easier way to edit such text?
And for reference, is there a list somewhere with the conversion of hex to (Poke)ASCII? So far I've only listed out BB-EE as letters, 00 as space (obviously), and a few other things (new line, semicolon, player name pointer, rival name pointer, etc.)- knowing what some other symbols and pointers are would be nice.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Overworlds show up in Advance Map

Could somebody please explain to me how to make new over-worlds show up in-game?

I've correctly inserted the pointers and data via a hex editor, as well as made the sprites in NSE.
All that's left is letting the sprites show up in-game.
I don't know if the sprites are supposed to show up in Advance Map, but regardless, the sprites don't show up in-game.

I believe my problem has something to do with what to put in the Unknown field of Advance Map.

Any help is appreciated; I'm pretty sure the answer is easy.

Thank you.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Could somebody please explain to me how to make new over-worlds show up in-game?

I've correctly inserted the pointers and data via a hex editor, as well as made the sprites in NSE.
All that's left is letting the sprites show up in-game.
I don't know if the sprites are supposed to show up in Advance Map, but regardless, the sprites don't show up in-game.

I believe my problem has something to do with what to put in the Unknown field of Advance Map.

Any help is appreciated; I'm pretty sure the answer is easy.

Thank you.
You mean a completely new overworld to the game, or just adding a pre-existing one to a map? Also, for which game?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years

I'm not sure how/ if you can change the world map you can see depending on which map you're in, but you can make it appear like all of the cites are sharing the same map. You should only do this if you aren't using the Sevii Island world maps (which it sounds like you don't need). By repointing the Sevii Islands world map data to that of Kanto's, every map will look and perform the same, allowing you to fly from one city to another regardless of which world map they are supposed to be in.

First up, you need to have the maps look the same, which means repointing the tilemaps of the Sevii Islands to Kanto's tilemap data. You can find a pointer to Kanto's tilemap in a HEX editor at 0x3035C so copy it down somewhere. Take that pointer and then replace the pointers at 0xC0370 (Islands 1-3), 0xC0388 (Islands 4 and 5) and 0xC03A4 (Islands 6 and 7) with it, depending on which maps you wish to change. If you look at the world maps in A-Map's world map viewer at this point in time, you will be able to see that background of the maps have changed, but the location markers are still the same. In order for this to work, the location markers should be the exact same as the Kanto world map. You will need to change these either by hand in the world map editor or you can once again have the ROM take the data of Kanto's world map and apply it to the Islands. In your HEX Editor change the pointers found at 0xC419C (Islands 1-3), 0xC41A4 (Islands 4 and 5) 0xC41CC (Islands 6 and 7) so that they point to 0x3F2490.

Now when you check the map in A-Map's world map editor the locations markers in the Sevii Island maps should now mirror that of Kanto's. Regardless of where you are in-game it should display Kanto's world map and include the flying positions of any Sevii Island towns and vice-versa.

I've been editing some text in Firered with hex offsets not listed in Advance Text.
So far I've been taking nearby offsets listed in Advance-Text, used them to find the text converted from hex to (Poke)ASCII in XSE's hex viewer, and then manually changed them with a hex editor.

To be blunt, is there an easier way to edit such text?
And for reference, is there a list somewhere with the conversion of hex to (Poke)ASCII? So far I've only listed out BB-EE as letters, 00 as space (obviously), and a few other things (new line, semicolon, player name pointer, rival name pointer, etc.)- knowing what some other symbols and pointers are would be nice.

This thread has a list of HEX values and what they correlate to in a spoiler during the first post. C+P it's contents and save it in a notepad file. You can use a HEX editor like Translhextion to work off this table file in it's ASCII column which should be a lot easier to work with than XSE's HEX editor (which was really only designed for small jobs) :P

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2012
Erm,hello everyone i just newbies....

Actually i dunnoe i did post my question in right place...
Erm,may i know how to change Moves description in Pokemon Emerald?
and any tools is needed?
seems last time i convert the text to hex and search it with ultraedit, but seems din't found...

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
I know how to make sprites move around during "cutscenes," but is there a way to make one instantly travel around the screen? The start of my plot heavily involves a wild Abra that I want to have warp around the screen during certain times in "cutscenes." Is there a way to have the sprite teleport from one place to another without using flags?

Epitaph93

Intermediate Digidestined
Years
BLAAAAAAAh :(

im following the steps of everyones tutorials ive watched videos...

im trying to index snivy, i used the color (light blue) in paint for the background.

as far as im aware of it all worked untill i imported it into advance sprite editor,the blue background is still there and i have the 2 ?? in front of my image of snivy....so i clearly didnt do something right...and when i push "syncronize pallete" i get a error and it says i can continue but it may not work or quit" ugh what am i doing wrong :(...

can someone just send me a pic of a indexed snivy lol im tired of messing up and not knowing what im doing wrong...

Your image has a color depth that's too large. In Irfanview go to Image>Decrease Color Depth>16 colors(4bpp)>OK.

They should sync just fine now; however if the images look strange when you sync them, copy and paste both into the same picture in Paint. Save it as whatever you would like. Decrease color depth in Irfanview, then save the two as different images.

P.S. you don't have to worry about fully indexing the sprite. As long as the backgroud is a different color from all the other colors of the sprite, the sprite editor will automatically index it for you. Just to make life a little easier for you ;)

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Your image has a color depth that's too large. In Irfanview go to Image>Decrease Color Depth>16 colors(4bpp)>OK.

They should sync just fine now; however if the images look strange when you sync them, copy and paste both into the same picture in Paint. Save it as whatever you would like. Decrease color depth in Irfanview, then save the two as different images.

P.S. you don't have to worry about fully indexing the sprite. As long as the backgroud is a different color from all the other colors of the sprite, the sprite editor will automatically index it for you. Just to make life a little easier for you ;)

http://edenselite.deviantart.com/gallery/33720706#/d4bctnn

Just crop them to the right size and use the Advanced Series to insert.

Years
problems with megamap

Hello
I just started at world rom hack and I have started to make a rom hack of Pokemon Gold The mapping goes well, the problem is in making connections. I am working with MegaMap and the problem is when I have connections to introduce another map. I do not understand the meaning of these data.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

PS: I hope that is not the question raised earlier. If so, I apologize but I have not been able to find it.

Rasen

ASM is very cool!
Years
Hello
I just started at world rom hack and I have started to make a rom hack of Pokemon Gold The mapping goes well, the problem is in making connections. I am working with MegaMap and the problem is when I have connections to introduce another map. I do not understand the meaning of these data.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

PS: I hope that is not the question raised earlier. If so, I apologize but I have not been able to find it.

I prefer using Advance Map 1.92 and 1.95 BETA

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I know how to make sprites move around during "cutscenes," but is there a way to make one instantly travel around the screen? The start of my plot heavily involves a wild Abra that I want to have warp around the screen during certain times in "cutscenes." Is there a way to have the sprite teleport from one place to another without using flags?

Use the command 'movesprite' as it will move a sprite on the map to a new position instantaneously. It will stay in that position until you walk away far enough that it goes offscreen, when it will return to it's original position on the map. The command has this structure in XSE:

Code:
movesprite 0x[Person Event No.] 0x[New X-coordinate] 0x[New Y-coordinate]

If you want it to stay where it is until you leave the actual map itself, use the command 'movesprite2' which has the same structure as the first movesprite command. Finally, if you want the OW to stay in its new position permanently you should set a flag/ variable in the script, make a level script that checks for the flag/ variable and then uses movesprite2.

When I'm in a city, the world map says I'm somewhere else. How do I solve this?

In the world map editor there are two boxes labeled 'Pos X/Y' underneath the name of map you're currently looking at. These coordinates determine where you show up on the world map when you look at it and aren't automatically change when you place town/ city/ route in a new position on the map. Getting the new coordinates that should be input into the X/Y boxes is simple: Click your town's new position on the big map on the left and look underneath it, copy those X and Y values to the boxes and save the data. When you're working on a route try to get the position that is closest to the centre of it, since you can only assign on X/Y value per map folder.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
Hmm. I've having a very strange error. I changed Abra's movement type to Hidden (0C) and when I turned the game on he was still looking around. After going down the stairs and coming back up I was brought back to the title screen. I've confirmed that changing his movement type is the cause of this as I had a previous back-up and tried both with and without his movement type set this way. I'm not changing anything else. I'm honestly pretty baffled as to how or why this is happening. I just wanted Abra to be invisible until I triggered a script, though it is kind of amusing that I somehow changed my warp point to take me to the title screen. I'm using Fire Red (with all of the event scripts removed) and advance map 1.95.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back