• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Orange Islands

Years
  • Seen today
@Vplay

I'm not really planning to. If there will be some evolutions from later generations eventually, they will only be from generation 2. Later generations will surely not be included, which includes Magmortar.

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2022
@pokemaniaco

Thanks! I can't promise anything but finishing it eventually is the plan;)

Question answers:
1: I guess you're asking why I have regular gym battles instead of the challenges from the Anime, right? In that case I recommend reading the comments in this thread;)
2: Crystal Onix? Same as above, but can be answered with just one word: no.
3: Alolan Forms? Same as above, and can also be answered with one word, no.
4: Gen 2 Pokemon? I was kind of planning to originally because I falsely remembered some of the Gen 2 Pokemon were in the Anime as well. It turned out Tracey's Marill was the only one in the series. And Slowking and Lugia appeared in a Movie. Since None of them will be catchable I think I'll eventually only include Gen 1 Pokemon.
5: Mewtwo: Probably, I want Mewtwo to be catchable eventually. I haven't thought about how and where though, but I could do it with that Mewtwo Island. If it will be included it will be after the main storyline.

Suggestions:
1: Ivy's Starter Pokemon: No, only Gen 1.
2: I have no idea what the decolore islands are
3: I always hated that some Pokemon evolved by trading them, so that will not be included
4: I think I did exactly what you said:P Some pokemon with a different (Orange Archipelago specific) color will appear as shiny.

One thing I also want to note: Although I made the second floor of the Pokemon Center available, I heard that trading is probably not working correctly. So I will eventually look into that to try and fix it (If possible).

Hope this clarifies;)

1. I suggest you see the scripts for Pokémon Naranja (first version made by Serg!o, and second version made by Danny) for the challenges before battling the leaders. I think they made simple scripts for the challenges, and they are effective ;)
2. Decolore islands are the islands in the Black&White anime (filler arc). If you use them as a post-game, maybe you can put other generation pokémon ;)
3. What are you thinking of doing for the evolution-only-by-trade pokémon then?
4. Is it possible to put all the existent pokéballs in the game (not only the ruby/saphire/emerald, but the other ones (for example, the apricot ones)?

The game could be anime-based, but there should be some kind of "official nintendo pokémon game" vibe... and for me the choosing of the starter pokémon is essencial (that's why I suggested the elemental monkeys as starter pokémon), as well as to choose the gender and name ;) just my opinion (and I think I'm not the only one... think about it ;) )

Keep up the great work ;)

Best regards,
Pokemaniaco

Years
  • Seen today
@Pokemaniaco

1: I know it's possible to make some kind of sled race/wave race available. But I did not find the sled race/wave race in Ash Gray or Naranja enjoyable at all. The base rom (Fire Red) is not a base for a racing game, but for a roleplaying game. Everything in the game is based on battling with pokemon and not racing with them.

Therefore the endresult of adding a challenge like a race in a GBA Pokemon game would need a large modification, before it will eventually turn out to be something enjoyable. And I'm not capable of doing that.

2: No Pokemon from later generations will be added, so I don't see the point in eventually adding those islands.

3: If I remember correctly Machoke, Graveler, Haunter and Kadabra all evolve at level 40

4: That would be something for an eventual game with Ash's adventures in Johto, not the Orange Islands

Hope this clarifies:)

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
Years
thanks for updating the game looking forward to this being completed in the future keep up the good work

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2022
@Pokemaniaco

1: I know it's possible to make some kind of sled race/wave race available. But I did not find the sled race/wave race in Ash Gray or Naranja enjoyable at all. The base rom (Fire Red) is not a base for a racing game, but for a roleplaying game. Everything in the game is based on battling with pokemon and not racing with them.

Therefore the endresult of adding a challenge like a race in a GBA Pokemon game would need a large modification, before it will eventually turn out to be something enjoyable. And I'm not capable of doing that.

2: No Pokemon from later generations will be added, so I don't see the point in eventually adding those islands.

3: If I remember correctly Machoke, Graveler, Haunter and Kadabra all evolve at level 40

4: That would be something for an eventual game with Ash's adventures in Johto, not the Orange Islands

Hope this clarifies:)

Just started playing your game. I'm in Tangelo island now ;) Your hack is awesome so far!

1. Are you going to change the sprite for when surfing with lapras?
2. For the race challenges (pre-battling gym leaders), can't you make a script that goes something like this (I'm a noob at this... don't hurt me! XP)

You can make the gym leader go (for example) 10 steps down + 10 right + 10 up + 10 left, just as an NPC can do in any town. But when the gym leader does the "2nd" lap, you trap her in some kind of a non-walkable sprite, so that she isn't any more "reachable".
While the leader does that race you put some obstacles for you while you "race" with the gym leader (see Pokémon Naranja with the Mikan gym).
If you get to talk with the gym leader while she does that "race", you won the race and can proceed with the battle (just put a flag and you're done).
If you take time and just catch the gym leader after the does the "2nd race", you talk to that non-walkable sprite which tells you something like "you lost. please leave this place and return". When you return, all will be back to normal and you can re-do the race.

I think that these flags and scripts are somehow manageable, since you are using the walkable NPC script (that already comes with advancemap), with just that little difference at the end. If you didn't understand my thoughts, please ask me ;)

Keep up the great work! You are excellent!
Best regards,
Pokemaniaco

Years
This looks very cool, it uses Firered for the base rom, right? is it v1 or v1.1? If it said that somewhere I must have missed it!

Years
  • Seen today
@Pokemaniaco

1: Nope, Surf will eventually be available as HM to make every Pokemon able to surf. So it would be weird if a lapras showed up in that case.

2: I thought I explained myself clear enough, but apparently I didn't. Of course I'm capable of making such a script as you're stating, but going through an event like that wouldn't give you a feel of actually being in a race... That would only feel like: 'The maker had to include this, because he wanted to exactly follow the Anime.' And that's not what I want. I choose nice gameplay over closely following the Anime. The Anime story is what this hack is based on, but it won't be exactly following that story.

Conclusion: No, there is not going to be pre-battling racing challenges.

@dearman4

I think all romhackers use FireRed 1.0 as a base, so that's what I did as well;) (If someone doesn't state anything about which version it's based on it will mostly be 1.0)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 4, 2020
Hey Kalarie.

I know i'm boring, but I don't understand why Crystal Onix can't be catchable. I know this pokemon wasn't catched in the anime, but this is a pokemon game, not an exact copy of the anime. There is not a lot of legendary Pokemon in the orange islands so it can be a special Pokemon like red Gyarados in Johto. This may be very cool if we can catch the Crystal Onix ^^. For exemple, a very good asset of Pokemon Naranja is this game follows the anime but stay a pokemon game, so Crystal Onyx is catchable ^^

I'm sorry cause I'm French, so my reply is maybe incomprehensible ^^.

Years
  • Seen today
@Akaneo

There's a very small chance I'll add the Crystal Onix as catchable in a later stadium. But to be honest, I don't think I'll eventually include it.

Years
  • Seen today
Hi all,

The moment is there, the official release of Beta 3.0 of Pokemon Orange Islands! You'll be able to play up to the third gym on Trovita Island. So Orange islands' progress will be roughly comparable to Pokemon Orange by Pia Carrot. (About 6 gyms in a regular Pokemon Game)

What's new in this version:
- Improved Sprites and Tiles I was not happy about
- Fly will be available
- New islands, towns and routes
- More Pokemon will be catchable
- Plenty of Anime-Based Events
- And more!

Even though your save files will be compatible with this new version, I would encourage you to start from scratch. That way I will know I didn't accidently overwrote something important. But that's totally your call:)

The IPS patch can be found in the main post of this thread. And I'll say it again, even if you find the tiniest bugs/glitches not mentioned in the BUGS section don't hesitate to reply here or give me a message.

Enjoy!

Edit: For some reason some scripts were nowhere to be found which caused a crash in one instance. A new Beta version (3.1) has been attached with early fixes for now;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 4, 2020
Thank you so much! I love this RomHack ^^. Keep up the good work!!

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I am so happy that my favorite orange islands hack is getting another update! You seem to be going really quick with this project. Man, I can almost taste the "Naranja" of a completed version my lips.

Years
  • Seen today
@Qazmachuck @Akaneo @Inner Rhymes

Thanks;)

Bumping this thread because I uploaded a newer version with more bugfixes!
Enjoy!

ookamishadows

ookamishadows
Years
Hey There.

I just downloaded your game and look forward to playing it. I am so glad you are not adding Pokemon from later games in since I think this game will be the 'spiritual child' of the anime we all love. :) I hope you get the time to finish this, the scariest part of downloading a game, especially a hack is when it's creator gives up. I see a lot of people here in the thread love your game already and that you update the game frequently. I love the energy man! Go on and do your best! Well, I am off to try out your game :)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 24, 2018
I need help since I don't know how to turn an IPS to ZIP, can you guys help me? Really, really want to play the game. Thank you all! :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
I need help since I don't know how to turn an IPS to ZIP, can you guys help me? Really, really want to play the game. Thank you all! :)

Hi Friendo, not really sure when you're asking. Usually you get a rom for fire red, and apply the patch using, say, Lunar IPS. :smile:

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 8, 2022
So far how long is the patch ends? Can I suggest to add a information on it so that the other can see also where it ends every patch. Because this hack i find it very interesting. Thanks for noticing ^_^

Years
  • Seen today
@Rob Austin

You need Lunar IPS to patch the IPS file onto a clean Fire Red 1.0 (Squirrels) ROM.

@Xist

Read the main post...

Back