• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let’s share our most painful shiny fails!

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Shiny Electrode in the Lost Hotel in X.

*Electrode appears*
Me: Oh, it's blue.
Gardevoir used Hypnosis
Hypnosis missed
Electrode used Self Destruct.
Electrode fainted.

I also had the misfortune of having two Shiny Yellow Riolu's on screen at the same time by SOS chaining. I had to faint one and throw a Timer Ball at the other.

Last edited:
Years
It was hoard battle on my Y or OR, that time I encounter a shiny oddish (forgot) and ooof boy I regret that day I killed it because there's no way telling which oddish is the shiny one ooof

Shiny Oddish are actually very easy to spot. Their body in the shiny form is green instead of blue.

I was in a segment that required you to have a partner with you (I think it was in White) when I encountered a shiny Skorupi. Unfortunately, since my character is apparently incapable of aiming with a poke ball when there are two Pokemon on the field (I miss Colosseum), I couldn't catch it. The Pokemon I had out wasn't strong enough to take out my partner's Pokemon in one hit (to avoid having to hope that my partner targeted the non-shiny Pokemon on the field), and unfortunately, said partner immediately took out poor Skorupi with a super effective attack.

I'm guessing it was Bianca's Musharna? Shame on her!

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I'm guessing it was Bianca's Musharna? Shame on her!

Yep. I used to see those double battle partners as a fun way to train up weak Pokemon (as you'd get healed after each round), but ever since then, I've tended to plow through them as quickly as possible with a Pokemon who can take out anything my partner might try using.

TimmyTom

TimmyTom
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 11, 2018
I was soft resetting for a shiny treeko and the bastard pocheyena that you can't even catch was shiny. I had to soft rest on it or knock it out. I let my braver friend handle it for me and gave up on pokemon emerald.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
You guys, your story are painful :(

Maybe it is because I don't have much shinies under my name in my life.. But I hatched 3 and the Treecko was perfect, the Mienfoo was almost perfect and the Foongus was still okay.

My worst one was that Lillipup that I ended up almost knocking because I didn't realized it was a shiny (and I do multitasking so I missed the star in the beginning of the fight). Realized in time, caught it... Worst nature ever. It goes against his strenght. Too bad, if it would have been alright I could use it in that walkthrought (I don't know why I didn't, natures are not important for a casual playing) .

Years
Figured my 50,000th post should be dedicated to a new hatred I have towards a certain Pokemon, and that is Trumbeak.

I was training some Pokemon in the Poni Plains, and when I was training my Tangrowth, he got massacred by two Trumbeak in an SOS battle. One of them landed a crit with Drill Peck, and then decided to poke at my Tangrowth's very low Sp. Def, killing him in an easy one-two punch.

It also didn't help that training my Hippowdon and Wailord against them sucked as well, since they had Bullet Seed and always seemed to hit 5 times, even when they didn't have Skill Link.

Seriously, screw Trumbeak. Nothing but the most savage birds ever.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 5, 2018
Caught a Shiney Sentret in Crystal recently. Then did a false move and accidentally closed Retroarch instead of saving. My first experiences with an emulator... Oh boy. '-_-.

At least I recently caught a Shiny Wingull and a Shiney Fearow. Only saw one shiny in 20 years of playing before last month (excluding the red Gyarados in GSC) , then found 3 in the same week 0_o

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 6, 2018
I fainted a Shiny Diagla because I forgot its typing. It then took my 3000 more resets to get it. This was also a time when I did not have the shiny charm.

Years
This just happened and I am still shaken up about it. I ran into a shiny Spearow on my Pokemon Leaf Green and Nina, my Nindoran F, was out. A Double Kick surely wouldn't kill it, would it? WRONG. I got a critical hit and I just sat there in my bed, turned off the game briefly, and cried after uploading my failure to my social media. Currently, I am attempting to quickly reclaim it but I do not have any hope right now. :(

Years
Oh gosh? This one's more painful in retrospect, but I distinctly remember that, as a child, I thought the odds of getting a shiny in GSC were, like, 1/512 or something instead of 1/8,192, so I ran from a shiny Nidoran?, thinking "I should probably catch a bug for the bug-catching contest; I can just find another later!"

I wasn't even in the bug-catching contest.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
One time, I found a Shiny Nidorina in Kanto's safari zone. I tried catching her, but she fled after one Pokeball toss...

& In Pokemon Diamond, when I was in Wayward Cave with Mira, I encountered a Shiny Zubat. Mira had her Kadabra use Psychic on it and it fainted. :'D

Another time, I ran into a Shiny Noctowl in Kanto, but it refused to stay in any of my Pokeballs. I got mad and turned off the game.... but I got a Shiny Drowzee that day so that shiny fail wasn't too painful.

Also I saw a freaking Shiny Barboach IN THE BATTLE PALACE OWNED BY ANOTHER TRAINER. I was so upset about it, I soft reset the game. Why is that fair? I always forget trainers can have shinies in the Battle Frontier.

Back