• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

We're two years in, just hit chapter 3!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
It appears that joining a RP here often requires you to be involved for several years. Either that, or the RP dies prematurely. Do you think this is alright? Or should we try to shift the paradigm towards shorter RPs that aim to finish within a few months?

Maybe that could be done by splitting up a RP in several acts or parts and allow new players to join in between. I've seen it done before, I think.

(btw Crossroads is over two years in but at least we're on chapter 9 already! Go us.)

Years
In the past, on other sites, I've seen threads last nearly a year, before ending and a sequel thread being created. Some players leave, some join, characters usually changed but sometimes didn't.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've seen more threads end happily if they're shorter.

Years
I think in plot-heavy RPs it isn't wrong to expect a longer experience unless the RPs plot is specifically geared to cover a short space of time.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Shorter roleplays would be a welcome addition to the Theatre, yeah. I think that would attract a lot more to come join in as it doesn't seem as much of a tedious of a commitment to make.

Years
Shorter roleplays would be a welcome addition to the Theatre, yeah. I think that would attract a lot more to come join in as it doesn't seem as much of a tedious of a commitment to make.

You do raise a good point there.
One of the most common responses in the VIP poll about the RPC is just that people din't feel they had the time. So if we did have some shorter RPs mixed in that would be great for attracting those members.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
I think shorter roleplays that maintain quality would work and I do believe we have the right manpower to pull it off. It could be something simple, light and not too mechanic-heavy and what have you, just to test the waters.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
You know, we could have a RP that sort of goes in stages - maybe something like 5 - and would end once stage 5 is reached. The RP would have a concrete ending (based on what happens in the posts) and wouldn't last too long (hence removing the commitment barrier people have and stuff).

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I'm making a RP at the moment, and I was thinking about trying to make that arc based. That way an arc could be seen as a short roleplay in and of itself, but there would still be a bigger story going on. Players would be advised to leave and join the RP at the end and start of a new arc, and players could just say: "I plan on only joining for this arc." That way signing up is not a commitment for a long time, and the RP functions both as a short and long RP. I might need some feedback on this idea.

Years
Interesting idea. At the conclusion of each arc, the thread would need to go on temporary hiatus, and the sign-up process would begin again. Players would have the option to drop out if they desire, or keep going. The only problem I can foresee is player limit. If you have a minimum amount needed, anyone who bows out needs to be replaced before the game can be resumed.

Ice1

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Interesting idea. At the conclusion of each arc, the thread would need to go on temporary hiatus, and the sign-up process would begin again. Players would have the option to drop out if they desire, or keep going. The only problem I can foresee is player limit. If you have a minimum amount needed, anyone who bows out needs to be replaced before the game can be resumed.

I don't think a temporary hiatus is needed. A new post will go out once I feel like an arc is nearing it's end, and I'll give some details about the new upcoming arc. This gives people the time to work on a SU. Once the arc ends, I'll put up a summary post which includes all information important up to that point, so new players don't have to read up on the whole story. A low player minimum would be best, too, I feel, so people don't necessarily have to be replaced. If having 4 players is enough to move the story along, I don't think it will be a problem. I don't want the RP to actually stop for a while after each arc, because that might kill people's enthusiasm. I don't want the arcs to literally feel like new roleplays each time, but just have them as good jumping in, dropping out points, to involve people in the story quickly.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I'm making a RP at the moment, and I was thinking about trying to make that arc based. That way an arc could be seen as a short roleplay in and of itself, but there would still be a bigger story going on. Players would be advised to leave and join the RP at the end and start of a new arc, and players could just say: "I plan on only joining for this arc." That way signing up is not a commitment for a long time, and the RP functions both as a short and long RP. I might need some feedback on this idea.
I've been thinking this myself :3 But it just hasn't fit well into any RP I've made so far haha. Something with major plot points after which it makes sense to switch arc, would be nice. And where it also fits with the story that new players join in.

Ice1

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I've been thinking this myself :3 But it just hasn't fit well into any RP I've made so far haha. Something with major plot points after which it makes sense to switch arc, would be nice. And where it also fits with the story that new players join in.

I was talking about it with Sir Bastian, and we said that this really wouldn't work for Journey RP's, something you do a lot of, haha. In the setting I'm making, I try to have it be a good place to tell a lot of stories, so a lot of arcs can take place, and the story has a lot of jumping in points. It's basically the set-up of a comic book or an ongoing manga. I hope it works out, haha.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Personally, I had made my RP (Crimson Dawn) with a fixed timeline in mind. I didn't want it to take years, I only wanted it to take a year. Well, one year later, its completion is near; the section will be rid of it soon :D

I also had thought of what Adventure said in the OP, making a Roleplay in Acts. That can't be all bad, can it? Well, in the end, I'd prefer structuring RPs the original way. I do have chapters in my RP, so they serve as Acts on their own, without me having to post a new thread every time.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
I'll join the club of long-time experience RP's ;v;

Sword Art Online: Sanctuary is reaching floor 6 now! ... after 2 years! ... yaay!

Back