• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
for hosting a challenge, my best advice would just be to be good about updating your thread and answering any questions you might get. you don't have to make the op flawless and perfectly coded or anything, just organized and easily understandable. some aesthetics are nice (sprites, colors, different font styles to highlight major points, etc) and make the op appealing to the eye, but aren't necessary. here are some of my threads that make ass examples, but should get the point across:

really simple and straightforward
literally only the rules and participants
graphic design is my passion
this one is actually kinda cute

Years
So I've been recently thinking about creating a challenge. I've got some ideas for a nuzlocke variant that still need developing, might share them another time. Has anyone here got a basic idea of what it takes for one to be accepted? And what the experience and duties of hosting it are?
Aside from what Sydian said, the basic skeleton for the challenge is title, some kind of introduction, rules, end points, possible variations (like ultimate run), sign-up and list of challengers and champions.

Well this brought up memories. Now I want to do Skyla run.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
you should do it. i played that challenge as jasmine and my team was hella fun to use. i also worked really hard on those list of gym leader pokemon lol wouldn't take much to add in gen 7 probably to revive it, but hoo boy i don't feel like making THAT much effort.

Sorvete

Novice
Years
So the gist of it is it would be based on A Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones), and besides normal nuzlocke rules, Pokémon would be sorted into one of the nine great houses (based on their nature, or something like that) that would have individual challenges tied to each of them. I was also thinking of adding "trainer classes" based on the trainer's ID, that would each also have a condition tied to them (maesters, septons/septas, members of the night's watch, red priests/priestess, etc.). Perhaps also after a significant point of the game, like a new badge obtained, or a trial completed, more challenges would be added. It's kind of similar to the Potterlocke Challenge.

There are still plenty of ideas I have in mind for it, I'm gonna keep thinking.

Last edited:
Years
you should do it. i played that challenge as jasmine and my team was hella fun to use. i also worked really hard on those list of gym leader pokemon lol wouldn't take much to add in gen 7 probably to revive it, but hoo boy i don't feel like making THAT much effort.
I wanted to bring that challenge back about a year ago, but couldn't find the thread and doesn't really felt like updating lists for everyone.

So the gist of it is it would be based on A Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones), and besides normal nuzlocke rules, Pokémon would be sorted into one of the nine great houses (based on their nature, or something like that) that would have individual challenges tied to each of them. I was also thinking of adding "trainer classes" based on the trainer's ID, that would each also have a condition tied to them (maesters, septons/septas, members of the night's watch, red priests/priestess, etc.). Perhaps also after a significant point of the game, like a new badge obtained, or a trial completed, more challenges would be added. It's kind of similar to the Potterlocke Challenge.

There are still plenty of ideas I have in mind for it, I'm gonna keep thinking.
That sounds great. I remember there was Game of Thrones Challenge, so you can check it for inspiration.

Sorvete

Novice
Years
Took a quick look over it. It seems like choosing a house in the sign-up instead of sorting Pokémon into houses is better.

Sorvete

Novice
Years
Damn, it is hard to come up with nuzlocke rules. Can't really make type or move restrictions since the teams aren't completely chosen by the player.

11wildy

Me!
Years
so half my team in my sapphire random challenge is poison and it's making me want to do a monotype after i finish this + my normal playthrough of platinum. i'm considering playing black 2, but i don't know what type i want. any suggestions? preferrably a type i can make a full team of. shouldn't be too hard considering bw2 has a nice regional dex.

Have you considered Ice? It sounds like a good challenge because of the horrible defensive resistances ans as a bonus, you can use the ice cream!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
alright y'all i'm back on my bs what should i do. in-game trade pokemon only run in red/blue or mono-normal in ruby/sapphire

Years
While in-game trades in RB aren't bad, I think Normal mono run in RS is more interesting. Kecleon, Slakoth, Castform and Spinda on one team sounds great.

Kyuuji

Gold himself?
Years
I wish there was a challenge discord channel so I could actually regularly chat with people who are doing challenges just like I am and enjoy doing them..

Years
I wish there was a challenge discord channel so I could actually regularly chat with people who are doing challenges just like I am and enjoy doing them..
I've talked about it with admins in the past and we never really come to a conclusion since there were other things going on that required their/mine attention more. You can make discussion threads here for now.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Say, is it allowed to multi-post (like double-post but multiple times) for updating challenges?

challenge rules thread said:
Double posting is allowed.
Need to update your progress, but you were the last to post? Feel free to post again! So long as it isn't too excessive or spammy, double posting is allowed for updating!

you are good to go, my friend.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 16, 2020
Hey there, I have some questions about wheter a challenge is tied to a single playthrough or not.
Specifically, when I got back into pokémon I told myself that I wanted to try as many as possible for the sake of variety, so I started playing different games/hacks with a clause of not using the same pokémon twice. Later on it evolved into a challenge I posed to myself in which I try to use every pokémon ever created at least once to beat a game.
I'm having fun with it since the difficulty increases with every playthrough and I wanna share what I'm doing, but I'm not sure wheter I could open a thread here for it and challenge other people to it, since the rules say "A challenge is just a playthrough of your Pokemon game with varying restrictions and rules". I've saw a couple of threads with cross-playthrough challenges (the legacy and the generational ones), does this mean mine would be welcome?

Sorvete

Novice
Years
Hey there, I have some questions about wheter a challenge is tied to a single playthrough or not.
Specifically, when I got back into pokémon I told myself that I wanted to try as many as possible for the sake of variety, so I started playing different games/hacks with a clause of not using the same pokémon twice. Later on it evolved into a challenge I posed to myself in which I try to use every pokémon ever created at least once to beat a game.
I'm having fun with it since the difficulty increases with every playthrough and I wanna share what I'm doing, but I'm not sure wheter I could open a thread here for it and challenge other people to it, since the rules say "A challenge is just a playthrough of your Pokemon game with varying restrictions and rules". I've saw a couple of threads with cross-playthrough challenges (the legacy and the generational ones), does this mean mine would be welcome?

If you'd like to make a thread with your own personal challenge playthrough, Travel Journals is probably the place to do that.

Years
Sorry for the late reply, but as Sumner said Travel Journals is the place to post in your personal challenge.

I also try to use as many Pokémon I can and not to repeat them often. It's pretty interesting and I think after 4 years I got pretty close to finish it.

Years
Are there any cool challenge runs I should do? I want something that is difficult but not too difficult. I don't like the theme of a pokemon dies permanently. Every time I try a Nuzlocke of some sort, my best pokemon ends up dying and I get salty and just continue on, still using that dead pokemon. Something that can make the game interesting and mixes things up a bit. I would do a randomizer but gens 4 and 5 I have already done multiple times and have gotten bored of them. I would love to do a randomized gen 6 or 7 game, alongside some sort of challenge but it's just too hard to randomize.

Back