I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
That could possibly be a firmware issue you're having with the audio. Might want to check your dmesg logs to check for any errors.

I just fixed that on one of my computers. BIOS updates can be helpful.
Female
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
78 posts
3.6 Years
audio as in audio production lol

Dancefloor Degrader

"it's a beautiful thing that you can be..."

Male
Seen December 16th, 2019
Posted December 4th, 2019
3 posts
116 Days
I use Linux Mint on my main desktop, 'cause I can't stand most of the big tech companies and their shady privacy policies. I do have a Windows laptop, however, but it's for school and has heavily modified settings and loaded with privacy tools. I guess you could say I'm a bit paranoid.

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
I use Linux Mint on my main desktop, 'cause I can't stand most of the big tech companies and their shady privacy policies. I do have a Windows laptop, however, but it's for school and has heavily modified settings and loaded with privacy tools. I guess you could say I'm a bit paranoid.
I believe a bit of paranoia (or at least a precautionary mindset) is healthy, so good on you for taking an interest. :)

Any particular reason you went with Linux Mint? Also, do you use Cinnamon (since that's their golden child, and my personal DE of choice)?

jensmoking

Little boygirl.

Argentina
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
71 posts
176 Days
I used to have Ubuntu 10.04 (Just a little bit outdated...) in my laptop. Idk, it just feels better to me. Also, I had less complications to fix any error that may ocurr in Linux that in Windows. In my desktop PC, I use Puppy Linux; that PC is too slow when running Windows, but Puppy makes it work fine. Also, I usually use a Win8 laptop for gaming because Linux gaming isn't really a thing, game developers prefer Windows as target platform.

Name: Spotty
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
I used to have Ubuntu 10.04 (Just a little bit outdated...) in my laptop. Idk, it just feels better to me. Also, I had less complications to fix any error that may ocurr in Linux that in Windows. In my desktop PC, I use Puppy Linux; that PC is too slow when running Windows, but Puppy makes it work fine. Also, I usually use a Win8 laptop for gaming because Linux gaming isn't really a thing, game developers prefer Windows as target platform.
Lol. Just a tad dated, but Puppy is a really cool OS, so good on you for that choice. I personally always use SliTaZ or Debian for my really old hardware.

In regards to Linux gaming, I would really suggest trying it again. There have been massive gains in that regard thanks to technologies like Proton/Steam Play and Lutris. As long as the game doesn't have some form of Anti Cheat, then there's a really good chance that games will be able to work on Linux straight from the Steam client or emulator of your choice. The current hurdle that Linux is facing now is Epic Games though. :/

If you ever want to get around to giving it a chance, just let me know, and I'd be more than willing to help you out. :)

Pig

Not Frankie Muniz

Age 25
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
267 posts
1.8 Years
I would love to for various reasons but I would spent SOO much more time tweaking my settings and displays than I would actually playing my games, plus I don't want to deal with Wine.

Twitter

Game of the Month: Sims Urbz

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
I would love to for various reasons but I would spent SOO much more time tweaking my settings and displays than I would actually playing my games, plus I don't want to deal with Wine.
DO IT

That's honestly one of the most fun aspects of Linux to me. Spending time messing with the settings and themes. Really making your OS your OS.

Also, WINE has gotten faaaaar better over the years, and a lot of games just work straight from Steam now with no need for fiddling. :P

Pig

Not Frankie Muniz

Age 25
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
267 posts
1.8 Years
DO IT

That's honestly one of the most fun aspects of Linux to me. Spending time messing with the settings and themes. Really making your OS your OS.
I agree! and that's why I couldn't :P But now that I'm out of school for a few months with nothing left to focus on I'll give it another go

Twitter

Game of the Month: Sims Urbz

Dimitri

Age 30
Non-binary
Canada
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
15,591 posts
6.8 Years
My printer and scanner don't support it, so no :(
And I need both so.
i know they'r after me, they make it hard to breathe

Tsutarja

Age 25
Male
Tampa, FL
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
And I need both so.
It's quite possible your printer is supported. Might just have to do some extra steps to get it working, but if it's a USB printer, then it should definitely be supported.

https://opensource.com/article/18/11/choosing-printer-linux

FlameChrome

Winter Flame

Age 18
Male
United States
Seen 23 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
1,070 posts
3.1 Years
I would use linux (not just because of having no pc) but im just afraid of games from steam not wanting to work on it. Though i will give it a try. If its not workable with me,i will still put linux on my laptop (whenever i get one) cause i dont need anything fancy windows has. Only game i need on it would be minecraft. So im good.

Tsutarja

Age 25
Male
Tampa, FL
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
I would use linux (not just because of having no pc) but im just afraid of games from steam not wanting to work on it. Though i will give it a try. If its not workable with me,i will still put linux on my laptop (whenever i get one) cause i dont need anything fancy windows has. Only game i need on it would be minecraft. So im good.
Minecraft has a Linux release.

FlameChrome

Winter Flame

Age 18
Male
United States
Seen 23 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
1,070 posts
3.1 Years
Minecraft has a Linux release.
I know, thats why im putting linux on a laptop anyways

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
And I need both so.
What printer/scanner do you have?

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper

Age 35
Finland
Seen 44 Minutes Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
846 posts
12.7 Years
I used to have Ubuntu 10.04 (Just a little bit outdated...) in my laptop.
That's not just a little bit outdated, it's so badly outdated that upgrade it asap to at least Ubuntu 18.04.

I don't want to deal with Wine.
Dealing with Wine is easy now, here's two tips:
- If you're using Ubuntu, don't install Wine from the Ubuntu software center because there's an old version. Use WineHQ repository instead so you get the current stable version.
- Do NOT use Playonlinux, it looks cool but actually it just messes up your computer by installing several versions of Wine depending on the games you're playing. Newest stable version of Wine is enough.
Mewtwo X Espeon 4-ever!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.

Male
Liberty Garden
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
9,308 posts
7.3 Years
I don't use Linux quite much because I used Windows as my main OS, but I did get to try some distros like Ubuntu on virtual machines, and it's quite enjoyable to use. However, I'm unsure if some certain proprietary software or games will work or not on Linux, hence my reluctance to use it yet.

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
I don't use Linux quite much because I used Windows as my main OS, but I did get to try some distros like Ubuntu on virtual machines, and it's quite enjoyable to use. However, I'm unsure if some certain proprietary software or games will work or not on Linux, hence my reluctance to use it yet.
It's always worth giving it a try. :)

Linux software support has gotten much better as of late.

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
After getting through msdos and all solid windowses (3.11,95,98 up to win10 which i've downgraded back to the 7th) i'd say it's too late for me. Tried popular distributions about a decade ago and stopped at Pardus. It wasn't for me i guess. Don't have a patience to learn trival things again.
I currently wouldn't suggest using Windows 7 simply due to this actually being the last day of support. Not that I actually believe official support is all that relevant or important.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4057281/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020
Seen January 26th, 2020
Posted January 26th, 2020
53 posts
82 Days
Oh i know about that, but i did chose to abandon number 10 either way. It's the worst kind of "windows" i have encountered. And honestly, i don't really care for microsofts support. Had enough of their politics. In xp/7 backdoors were at least somewhat hidden - unlike in "windows 10". Too arrogant, too "simplified" and massive amount of problems with compatibility.

alexsandro22

little

Male
Ukraine
Seen January 30th, 2020
Posted January 24th, 2020
9 posts
1 Years
I used to use Linux for a while but it was uncomfortable for me so I came back to Windows. It's much more easier as for me ( especially for work). If you have ever worked remotely with using crm you probably understand what I'm talking about. Almost all the time I use my laptop for communication so here we are. EspoCRM is necessary for work and it's our team's additional so no one will change it because of me and Linux. So I decided that it's not comfortable for me at all and I've came back to Win10

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
Oh i know about that, but i did chose to abandon number 10 either way. It's the worst kind of "windows" i have encountered. And honestly, i don't really care for microsofts support. Had enough of their politics. In xp/7 backdoors were at least somewhat hidden - unlike in "windows 10". Too arrogant, too "simplified" and massive amount of problems with compatibility.
Windows 2000 is, imho, the best version of Windows to date. I don't dislike 10 anymore than any other version of Windows though. XP and 7 tend to be my least favorites though simply because many users overglorify them. 8/8.1/10 have their own plethora of issues as well. Vista, while not great, isn't as bad as it was made out to be imo.

I used to use Linux for a while but it was uncomfortable for me so I came back to Windows. It's much more easier as for me ( especially for work)
Most people feel that way, so nothing to be ashamed of honestly. What exactly was uncomfortable though if you don't mind my asking?
Advertiser Content