• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] The Capture/Evolution/ Release, etc. Thread

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
So do we have any confirmed SM saga captures so far? I'll be brutally honest: I haven't kept track of much regarding the new saga. :x

Negative. No news yet.

Re: releasing, whether Ash actually releases Greninja will be seen in the future. And, Ash sending his Pokémon to Oak? Same thing as sending them to the PC box in games, so no, not a release. (But if he does release his Greninja, I still won't be surprised...just upset.)

LucarioFan3

Needs A New Username lol
Years
My predictions:
Litten (evolves into its final form eventually): Going by the leaked concept art with this. The first bit that gets me is that its the only one of the final evolved trio that has any other characters from the anime (specifically the small bit that has Ash, Pikachu, Mallow, Popplio, and Rowlet hanging around "Beltigre" while a tea pot sits on his "belt"). Now, I know what you're thinking: "No big deal". Well, think of it this way: how often does a companion of Ash get the final evolution of a starter? May was the only one that ever did. Add that to the fact that, aside from regions where Ash got all three starters anyways, he always gets a fully evolved starter. That's enough to convince me that Ash will get Litten.
Rockruff (evolves into either one of its final forms): Rockruff's definitely been one of the more heavily pushed Pokémon this gen. Heck, it's basically the second coming of Eevee. And since the anime was basically made for promotion, I can easily see Rockruff getting even more promotion.
Pipikek (evolves into final form): Because Ash needs every last regional early bird apparently.

My wishlist:
Popplio's final form: It'd be a nice change of pace to go for a starter that's more elegant rather than cool like they usually go for.
Gumshoos: Even though I don't care for the Pokémon in general but I do feel like he's got quite a bit of potential for the anime.
Vikavolt: This guy would be amazing to see in action (Side note: he totally should replace Pikachu)
Salandit: I can only imagine the humor Salandit could bring.

Reactions: Z25

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
So do we have any confirmed SM saga captures so far? I'll be brutally honest: I haven't kept track of much regarding the new saga. :x

I am fairly certain we can confirm some things based on the trailer and poster.

Mallow will have Bounsweet
Lana will have Poppilio
Sophacles will have Togedamaru
Kiawe will have Turtanator
Team Rocket likely has Bewear and Mimikyu (Wobbufet also makes a return)
Lilie is likely to have Alolan Vulpix.

To me, the Poster and Trailer were pretty solid Confirmations for the above.

As for Greninja, I didn't take the screenshot showing Ash releasing Greninja at all. I took it as he saying good bye to the power. Greninja can't transform into Ash-Greninja without Ash. I just think they were saying good bye to the power, not Grneinja.

They could also be pulling a Charizard and sending Greninja to train at the Ninja Village, but not release it.

Last edited:
Years
Cause it's implied by that image, that greninja is left in Kalos. Meaning released, rather the go back to the lab. Greninja isn't at Oak's in that image.

I didn't even know about this release until now, and I don't know if I'm for or against it tbh. On one hand Greninja's done enough already so he isn't needed, but on the other hand it seems pointless for him to stay in Kalos when he could've just stayed at Prof. Oak's lab instead.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
I didn't even know about this release until now, and I don't know if I'm for or against it tbh. On one hand Greninja's done enough already so he isn't needed, but on the other hand it seems pointless for him to stay in Kalos when he could've just stayed at Prof. Oak's lab instead.

If it does stay in Kalos, there technically wouldn't be a reason for Ash to be able to contact sycamore to send it over. As he could maybe learn of Greninja's whereabouts.

Even so it's a weird situation, that I wonder what the explanation will be for it.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Based on some of the new scans, it looks like Ash could be catching Litten early on, probably before Rowlet. He seems to have a somewhat large confrontation with a Litten.

If this ends up being similar Sinnoh, he could be getting both Rowlet and Litten, which means both should evolve by the end. Mallow could also possibly be getting Rowlet, but nothing indicates that other than her being a Grass Trainer. And in the first poster, it seems like Ash gets Rowlet.

Guess we will find out. He might end up catching more than 5 pokemon after all.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
New trailer finally shows Rowlet running into Bounsweet. That may mean that it isn't Ash, but Mallow who catches Rowlet.

With the extreme lack of pokemon, we might see Ash getting an Alolan.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
I don't think Alola is going to be anything like Sinnoh, but i can see him getting all three of the Alola starters.

Years
I don't think Alola is going to be anything like Sinnoh, but i can see him getting all three of the Alola starters.

I probably don't think he's getting all three starters, since Lana (one of the first four Trial Captains who are apparently his new companions) has a Popplio. I do see Ash probably getting both Rowlet and Litten though.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
I probably don't think he's getting all three starters, since Lana (one of the first four Trial Captains who are apparently his new companions) has a Popplio. I do see Ash probably getting both Rowlet and Litten though.

I thought the trailer shown that the Trial Captains had all three of the starters, and if that's the case. He may not get a starter at all. I can see him getting Popplio, Rowlet, and Litten though.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I thought the trailer shown that the Trial Captains had all three of the starters, and if that's the case. He may not get a starter at all. I can see him getting Popplio, Rowlet, and Litten though.

No, only Popplio has Lana. Litten was stepped on at the beach by Ash, so I am almost certain he will catch that. Rowlet wasn't seen till the newest trailer and it ran into Mallow's Bounsweet.

Sophocles has only been seen with Togedamaru. Lana with Poppilio. Kiawe with a Charizard and Turtanator and Mallow with Bounsweet. The Charizard with Kiawe I think was not actually his. Same with Sharpedo ect. They are all pokemon that can be called on for riding.

Lillie has not been seen with any pokemon, but the poster hints that she may get a Alolan Vulpix.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
No, only Popplio has Lana. Litten was stepped on at the beach by Ash, so I am almost certain he will catch that. Rowlet wasn't seen till the newest trailer and it ran into Mallow's Bounsweet.

Sophocles has only been seen with Togedamaru. Lana with Poppilio. Kiawe with a Charizard and Turtanator and Mallow with Bounsweet. The Charizard with Kiawe I think was not actually his. Same with Sharpedo ect. They are all pokemon that can be called on for riding.

Lillie has not been seen with any pokemon, but the poster hints that she may get a Alolan Vulpix.

I think Lillie will actually have Alolan Vulpix from the start. I wonder why we don't see it if she does though. Lillie cannot touch pokemon for some reason so I wonder how that will play into her capturing things. I'm sure she will, but it's an odd trait on a trainer.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017

Ash may get two starters this time around, next Generation he could get all three of the starters.

I think we will have to wait and see what he will have for his Alola team.

Years
I feel Ash's starter distribution will be a Sinnoh 2.0, having only the Grass and Fire starters while the Water starter is owned by a female character, with Lana having Popplio similar to how Dawn had Piplup.

Given Popplio's evolutions take a more female-looking route, it was unsurprising the writers don't want Ash to have it since he never catches feminine-looking Pokemon.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Given Popplio's evolutions take a more female-looking route, it was unsurprising the writers don't want Ash to have it since he never catches feminine-looking Pokemon.

Definitely true for the most part, though there were a few exceptions, such as Chikorita, Snivy, Leavanny, and Lapras (though he didn't really catch it). So definitely unlikely to happen but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility to catch a feminine looking Pokemon, maybe one will trip Ash's trigger just enough that he won't be able to resist catching it.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Ash may get two starters this time around, next Generation he could get all three of the starters.

I think we will have to wait and see what he will have for his Alola team.

This is definitely what I am thinking. To me, Unova was like Kanto and Johto. Kalos was like Hoenn and now I think Alola will be similar to Sinnoh.

Currently, I am almost 100% positive he will catch Litten. He has too many interactions with one in the trailers for him not to. And they seem to be strongly hinting at him catching Litten with how many times Litten and Ash have appeared together.

Rowlet I am still not positive. It definitely looks like Rowlet was going to be Ash's in the poster, but it is seen running into Mallow's Bounsweet.

I am currently worried if Ash will catch at least 5. But I think he will.

If he gets Rowlet and Litten, then Kiawe can catch the other fire types. Right now, it does not currently seem like he will catch a water type this time around. There is so many pokemon that don't evolve or have a pre evolution that I only want him to catch 1 of them.

Currently, about half of the pokemon we have in Alola are Basic pokemon. Which is a really huge turn off for for him catching them to me. Especially if he catches more than 1 of them.

Currently, these are the pokemon I would like him to catch.

Litten
Rowlet
Crabrawler
Mudsbray
Rockruff
And 1 Alolan Pokemon.

Years
If he gets Rowlet and Litten, then Kiawe can catch the other fire types. Right now, it does not currently seem like he will catch a water type this time around. There is so many pokemon that don't evolve or have a pre evolution that I only want him to catch 1 of them.

Currently, about half of the pokemon we have in Alola are Basic pokemon. Which is a really huge turn off for for him catching them to me. Especially if he catches more than 1 of them.

I can understand your logic on him not catching any Alola Water-types since aside from Popplio (who is going to Lana) not many of them evolve. He didn't catch any Grass-types in Kalos since Chespin and Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist were owned by Clemont and Chespin respectively, while Gogoat was Alexa's, leaving only Phantump who wasn't owned by any main character and only had spotlight in one episode. My guess was the writers felt Phantump's Ghost-type doesn't suit Ash's team, which is odd because Ghost is one of the few types he still hasn't owned yet, alongside Steel, Psychic and Fairy.

Considering what you said about the huge number of non-evolving Pokemon in the Alola Pokemon lineup, this could be the first time he may possibly have more than one non-evolving Pokemon on his team at once, since he did have a few in the past (such as Heracross, Torkoal and currently Hawlucha).

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I can understand your logic on him not catching any Alola Water-types since aside from Popplio (who is going to Lana) not many of them evolve. He didn't catch any Grass-types in Kalos since Chespin and Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist were owned by Clemont and Chespin respectively, while Gogoat was Alexa's, leaving only Phantump who wasn't owned by any main character and only had spotlight in one episode. My guess was the writers felt Phantump's Ghost-type doesn't suit Ash's team, which is odd because Ghost is one of the few types he still hasn't owned yet, alongside Steel, Psychic and Fairy.

Considering what you said about the huge number of non-evolving Pokemon in the Alola Pokemon lineup, this could be the first time he may possibly have more than one non-evolving Pokemon on his team at once, since he did have a few in the past (such as Heracross, Torkoal and currently Hawlucha).

Aye. It is possible. Possibly more time to develop character this time around. I may have already said too much for those who don't want to be spoiled. I will spoiler the next part. As it is about to get mega spoily. Read the next part at your own risk.

Spoiler:

As for Alolan Pokemon, I would love for him to catch an Alolan Sandshrew. I would say Alolan Vulpix, but I think Lillie will some how catch it. Or maybe Ash will catch it for Lillie and give it to her once she can touch pokemon. I can't really see him catching any of the other Alolan Pokemon due to him already having a Pikachu and Muk. Maybe Ratatta since technically he did catch one in the past and tried to catch one at the start of the series. Would be a nice throw back to the St. Anne.

Back