• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewy

Retired Champion
Years
Username: Lewy
Single or Ultimate: Ultimate
Game(s) FR>SS>E>Pt>W
Monotype: Fire
Team: N/A yet

Current Team
Charmeleon (Spitfire) Lv33

(HM Slaves) Meowth-Cut

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
FINAL Challenge Update

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long, but I've had family over! Anyway, I'm back to FINALLY finish my Black Fighting challenge!

So far:
Spoiler:

Today:
OK, first thing, I went straight to Undella Town for a showdown with Cynthia (After getting Gale to Lv. 70). Here's a play-by-play. (I realize the play-by-plays are almost a direct copy of jdthebud's, but that's why I do these. I was inspired by jdthebud to make all these add-ons to my updates. Ur the best! ;))

........... I lost. Well, let's try that again.
........... You know, I am just failing over and over again. Sigh. I think the whole play-by-play thing is ruining my concentration. No more play-by-plays!
Okay, my plans are foiled yet again! I am going into town for the 4th of July. But I will be back. I swear it!

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2014
Entry 04
After beating up my rival, I went and rubbed the captain's back. *shudders at memory* But, he gave me Cut, which I taught to Vickee in replacement of PoisonPowder. We took on Surge's challenge, and continued in our undefeated streak. We were currently an awesome team. We got a bike from the bike shop, and continued on our way. When we finally reached Rock Tunnel, I realised we were facing an impossible feat. One almost undoable.

We had to get through Rock Cave without Flash!

Current Team:
Fleur - Ivysaur - Female - Lv30
Toad - Parasect - Male - Lv27
Vickee - Weepinbell - Female - Lv27

Lewy

Retired Champion
Years
FIRST UPDATE
I managed to find my way through rock tunnel with Spitfire, who is now a charizard :D and headed straight to route 8 to catch my newest member growlithe (Ryde), after a tiny bit of grinding I decided to stop for the day

Current Team:
Charizard - (Spitfire) - Lv37
Growlithe - (Ryde) - Lv18
Meowth (For Cut)

Years
Username: Crackin355
Single or Ultimate: Ultimate
Game(s): FR -> HG -> R -> Pt -> W
Monotype: Fire
Team: Charizard, Arcanine, Flareon

Since I'm playing them all simultaneously before I found out about the one at a time rule, I'll only post FireRed progress even though I'm 60% through each one anyway. Then I'll post the finished progress of HeartGold afterwards, and so on. And I'll throw in XD between Ruby and Platinum since I'm doing that too.

(I've already finished the FireRed and HeartGold monotypes but I decided to redo them when I started playing them all simultaneously. That means I also erased my data and stuff for Ruby and XD, which means my signature is incorrect. So don't pay attention to that thing)

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Its been a while, but Im back from vacation and ready to start this again.
Starting in Lavaridge!
Spoiler:

Bob III

Person
Years
FireRed Water MonoType Challenge Log
Update #1:

Named myself ……. And my rival Tacoman

Got a Squirtle, named it JoeBob

Lost to my rival because he kept criting

Got through viridian forest alive

Defeated Brock

JoeBob evolved on the second trainer on route 3

Got through Mt. Moon

Went to Cerulean gym and defeated Misty, despite her critting

Defeated my rival after a few tries (sleep powder annoying)

Defeated Team Rocket and got the Dig TM

Cleared the S.S. Anne and defeated my rival

Defeated Surge using Dig

Evolved JoeBob (Yes, I also thought it was a monotype challenge too, not a solo run)

Been going through slowly because I already pretty much did this (Squirtle line solo run) and am getting slightly bored

Team:
JoeBob the Blastoise - level 36

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Taking down the twins!
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2023
Here is the final update on my Platinum Ultimate Ground Type challenge! I had left off after beating Candice.

- Went up to Lake Acuity and Jupiter ran off to Veilstone City
- Went to Veilstone City and beat the hideout there, and destroyed Cyrus and Saturn.
- Climbed up Mt. Coronet, beat all the grunts, Mars and Jupiter too.
- Went through Distortion World, destroyed Cyrus, and caught Giratina.
- Breezed through to Sunyshore City, beat Volkner without too much difficulty.
- Went up through Victory Road and reached the Pokemon League.
- Did a major moves upgrade and grinded everyone to Lv. 52.

Elite Four! Here We Go!

Aaron: Bugs are fairly straightforward to take down. Rhydon took care of Yanmega and Vespiquen, and Garchomp took on Scizor, Drapion, and Heracross.

Bertha: Pretty easy to take down as well. Torterra's Wood Hammer beat Whiscash and Rhyperior. Gastrodon beat Gliscor with Ice Beam and Hippowdon with Surf. I had to pull in Garchomp to take down Golem since it was faster than Gastrodon.

Flint: Fire types against ground types? Once again, easy... Garchomp beat Houndoom and Magmortar; Rhydon beat Rapidash; Gastrodon beat Infernape and Flareon.

Lucian: Well, I was going to take Torterra for a spin in this one... Then decided that Garchomp + Swords Dance x3 = destruction. And destruction it was. Victory!

Cynthia: She is one tough trainer! It took me a few tries, but I won. Here's how it went down... Gliscor could take two hits from Spiritomb, so that fact allowed me to Swords Dance up and beat it with Aerial Ace. Milotic and Togekiss came next, and were destroyed with Thunder Fang. Out came Garchomp... There went Gliscor. But Gastrodon got a Critical Hit Ice Beam to take care of Garchomp. From there, it was smooth sailing. Roserade was beaten by Garchomp's Fire Fang, and Lucario went down to Earthquake. And a new Sinnoh champion was crowned!

On to Unova on White Version, the final leg of the challenge!

Final Team:
Torterra Lv. 53: Crunch/Rock Climb/Earthquake/Wood Hammer
Rhydon Lv. 53: Shadow Claw/Hammer Arm/Earthquake/Stone Edge
Gastrodon Lv. 53: Mud Bomb/Sludge Bomb/Ice Beam/Surf
Gliscor Lv. 53: Swords Dance/Aerial Ace/Thunder Fang/X-Scissor
Garchomp Lv. 54: Swords Dance/Fire Fang/Dragon Claw/Earthquake

Impressions: Garchomp is really strong... Gliscor is pretty cool... and Rhydon is still really good; couldn't find a spare DS to trade with SoulSilver to get Rhyperior, but that's all right... Gastrodon isn't all that good, but it is a ground type that can learn Surf, so there ya go... Torterra is your typical versatile starter pokemon, good but not the strongest out there

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 26, 2014
Can I do this on a hack? Like Touhoumon Emerald or Firered or World Link(hack of emerald)...? It still has the same regions and types as the original pokemon games. If I can't do it that's fine though. :P Just wondering.

Bob III

Person
Years
Was able to defeat the final 4 gym leaders with no problems, catching a Seel named Flippy and a Tentacool named Pentacruel (of course I evolved both)

To make the challenge harder, I did no training after victory road, and bought many less items then I usually do for the elite 4

Was barely able to succeed against Tacoman (Only Laser left, but luckily his last Pokemon was his Rhydon)

Screenshots

Final Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

BaroNight

Chaos Incarnate
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 18, 2014
A question please.

I was taking my time, even doing some time warps, but Baoba didn't called again for more objects. Does that mean that I REALLY have to proceed with the game to be able to make him call again? Do I need to be in a specific place or do a specific work like beating some crap who call themselves Gym Leaders? I need guidance. And I need more diversity in my team.

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Beginning of the end.
Spoiler:

-Stay tuned for my next challenge, on Pearl!

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Username: Lt. Col. Fantastic
Type: Bug (Seemed like the hardest one...)
Challenge: Ultimate
Completed: None yet

Currently on Firered (I wanted to be the girl...teehee)

Team: Beedrill (Ripper) Butterfree (The Beast)
Hm slaves: bulbasaur (in box, no hms yet.)

Update 1: Hey! I'm gonna beat this challenge with my super awesome bug pokemon! (I really wanted to do ghost, but Gengar is the only one in gen 1...he would have been lonely) I just started, and after I finish Oaks errends, I'm going to catch two super hot pokemon, Caterpie and Weedle. I will then grind to level 20 each for Brock (curse his rock typing!) and if I still can't beat him, then I'll have to grind higher.

Update 2: Caught my two bug pokemon! Bulbasaur, say hello to hm slavery. Named Weedle Ripper and Caterpie The Beast
I beat Brock, but I was level 15, not 20 (Butterfree does decent damage with confusion, which suprised me) Onto Mt. moon, where I will catch my shroomy cohort, Paras.

Update 3: Caught Paras, named her Zombie. Im currently stuck on Blue, I'm and idiot and picked bulbasaur, so his level 18 charmander kills whatever pidgeotto doesnt. Facepalm

Last edited:

BaroNight

Chaos Incarnate
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 18, 2014
Well, now that I can post pictures, I can present my Emerald team:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Team:

Spoiler:

Years
So, I decided to finally write the progress of my FireRed Fire Monotype. I'm up to the 6th Gym so far. I won't write important details about what happened, since its stuff you should already know. This is my second time writing this because my sister was an idiot and got out of Google Chrome without asking.

VS Brock
Spoiler:

VS Misty
Spoiler:

VS Lt. Surge
Spoiler:

VS Erika
Spoiler:

VS Sabrina
Spoiler:

VS Koga
Spoiler:

That took a while.

Last edited:

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Update 4 on Bug Ultimate Monotype Challenge

I beat misty pretty easily, since paras learned bullet seed from the tm in mt. Moon.

Blue finally was beaten by a lucky effecy spore putting his pidgeotto asleep. Zombie evolved into Parasect.

Did everything you normally would, beat Lt. Surge with dig, Parasect learned it.

Im now beating all of the trainers in the area before proceeding to Dark Cave, I always hated that place. After that, I'm going to get Scyther in Celadon city.

Update 5: Beat Erika no sweat, foiled team rocket in the game corner and pokemon tower. Beat koga, barely. Had to use a tm to teach venemoth psychic. Oh, got venemoth and scyther btw. Both level 33. Parasect is 36, butterfree 40, beedrill 38. Caught doduo for flying, and bulbasaur is cut slave. Now in silph co, trying to level everyone to at least 40 before sabrina. After that, im gonna get the heck beat out of me by blaine. Gotta grind for that.

Edit: Oh god, Blue has a charizard. Why did I pick bulbasaur?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2023
Here's a quick update on the final leg of my Ground Ultimate challenge. Gotta get this in before the week starts!

So, ground types in Unova... there are five lines of 'em total, I believe. So, the team's gonna be Seismitoad, Excadrill, Krookodile, Stunfisk, and Golurk. Nothing until after the first badge...

- Picked Oshawott as the starter for water HM moves and whatnot.
- Grinded through all the way to the first badge and won with the help of Pansear and Oshawott.
- Oshawott actually evolved before I got to Wellspring Cave...
- Caught a Drilbur in Wellspring Cave. Took forever, just couldn't get one of the dust tornado things.
- Trained Drilbur on my way to Nacrene City, then hopped over to Pinwheel Forest and grabbed a Tympole. At least I've got 2 usable pokemon now!
- Trained the two up to Lv. 20, including beating the trainers outside of the forest. I remember that the normal type gym can kinda be tough, so the levels helped. Also taught Drilbur Rock Smash.
- GYM BATTLE! Tympole took down Herdier with some Bubblebeams, but Watchog was faster and took it down with a Retaliate. Drilbur came out and hit Watchog with some Rock Smashes, including a lucky critical hit. But Lenora used a Super Potion and put Drilbur to sleep... Luckily, it woke up at the last possible moment and finished her off with another Rock Smash! Two badges already!
- Here comes Team Plasma! Went through Pinwheel Forest and put that team in its rightful place with relative ease. (Also, caught a Pansage. Don't remember seeing them in the wild on my last runthrough)
- Crossed the bridge and arrived in Castelia City!

Team: Tympole Lv. 22, Drilbur Lv. 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back