• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Your IDEAL starter in FR/LG/R/S/E

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
Years
OK, the choice is yours....

What, in your mind, is your ideal starter/s in all the 3rd gen games?
This is one aspect where your choices are usually always limited to fire/grass/water.

BUT

If you had the choice of any pokemon to accompany you on your journey, which one would you choose?

OBVIOUSLY, overpowered legendaries are out of the question and all pokemon should be in their PRE-evolved forms/base forms.

You're allowed to break the water-grass-fire type rule though!!

Want a ghost-type starter? go for it!!

Sound off below!!

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
...3th? :( You mean 3rd? Anyway, gonna tag on a "3rd Generation" prefix to this since you're asking for all 3rd gen games.

I'm fine with the starter choices we have in RSE/FRLG though, so I really wouldn't want anything else. I guess Eevee would be cool for FRLG since you can buy the evolutionary stones it needs, but you wouldn't be able to have Umbreon or Espeon, so that sucks. As for RSE, I really love all three starters and wouldn't wanna change them. If I had to Swablu would be nice, cause I hate having to wait so long to get one. Chirp.

Years
If Feebas weren't so terribly useless until you have a few TMs or evolve it, I might have chosen it, just because they're next to impossible to find in R/S/E. Honestly, though, I can't think of too many other Pokemon that I would want as a starter, as I've always been content with the choices that we've been given. Maybe I'd go with Dratini, just so I could have a Dragonite earlier on in my journey.

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2013
This is a hard decision, since I like so many pokemon from all three gens. But I guess I would choose Bagon as the starter.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
For me, it's Ralts or Ghastly. Their evolutions are so cool.

If I were limited to normal starters, I pick Mudkip. Although your rival picks Treecko in R/S/E, if you teach Earthquake/Ice Beam to Marshtomp or Swampert, then there, problem solved.

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
Years
...3th? :( You mean 3rd? Anyway, gonna tag on a "3rd Generation" prefix to this since you're asking for all 3rd gen games.

hehe, yeah sorry, Posting from my phone, which always wants to predict my typing...changed it now.... and thanks!!

Personally, I would want Pikachu in FR/LG....just for nostalgia purposes.....but in terms of ''coolness'', I'd pick Dratini. I've always wanted to journey with a dragonite

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I think having a fossil starter would be pretty cool. It'd take a crap load of training to evolve those suckers though. ;P

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
For me it would have to be my favorite Pokemon Shuppet into a Banette or any of the ghost type Pokemon from generations I-III such as Gastly and Sableye.....yeah Sableye would be an ideal partner for me since it has no weaknesses.

:t354:TG

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
Years
I would either go with Eevee for all the options for evolving it or maybe I could go with Dratini because I could evolve it into a powerful Dragonite and very few trainers have Pokemon with an advantage against it early game.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I think Eevee would be the best considering it has 3 evolutions so we don't need any other starters.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
For any 3rd gen, or 4th or hell even 5th. Definitely Pikachu, even with his bad defense.
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." Karen of the Elite 4

PhoenixWright77

Pokémaster Attorney
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
I think I would like to have a kabuto as a starter! It learns some pretty decent moves from the get-go!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 9, 2020
I really like to have Charmender since the beginning of the journey (in order to obtain my own Charizard xD) and i wouldn't change him for nothing. But in term of utility I think that Jinx was the correct choice because off its Ice-Physic types it can take advantage aganist many pokemon

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
Hmm, I guess it could've been Trapinch, Bagon or Dratini. Even though Dratini wasn't from third It would've been cool having Dragon type starters :3

Back