• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Brawly

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Wattson

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Flannery

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Norman

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • Winona

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Tate & Liza

Votes: 129 45.1%
  • Wallace/Juan

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
In Emerald, those evil twins with their obviously hacked pokemon. KO'd all my pokemon except Aggron, who got really lucky to come on the Solrock and Lunatomb so worry about Earthquake and making critical hits.

Crux

Evermore
Years
Tate and Liza's entire gym practically went through holocaust when I got there.
Norman fell with ease against my Machoke. (Just a worker Pokemon my a...anyway.)
But Watson...oh the horror...no more shock waves...please...

Empire

Lurking since 2008
Years
Norman's was the easiest i must say, i think i had a Blaziken at the time and just kept spamming Brick Break.

Hardest definitely Tate & Liza.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Norman was nearly impossible in my first Sapphire run, but since I always have come prepared to take him on. Still a heck of a fight. His bigger Slaking is evil - the rest of his Pokemon not so much. I just need to have a Breloom, Machoke, or Blaziken in stock.

Tate & Liza are also REALLY REALLY hard, and are probably my current answer. They're definitely hackers, lol.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I always found Norman to be quite a challenge as well as Tate and Liza. I never could surpass Norman's Slaking's power and it really irritated me when it would usually one hit KO me. ):

Years
In the older days of Sapphire, I used to dread Wattson because I would always have a Grovyle. I remember a particularly horrible experience when I had a Grovyle, Crobat (it evolved 2 levels after Golbat :D), Pelipper, Beautifly, and Aron. It was that day that I sweared revenge against Wattson >:( But I found out about Tate & Liz.... Even with type advantage, I somehow lost at least 6 times...

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I'd definitely say Tate and Liza. I had enormous trouble on my first run so many years ago with a level 65 Sceptile and a level 40 Mightyena even. But back then I didn't even know about type advantages, and 4 of my 6 Pokemon were all like level 15 (I was lazy -_-)

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
None, really. Mudkip- Marshtomp- Swampert essentially took care of all of the gyms up to Wallace/ Juan and even then, Shiftry took care of that. If I had to choose though, I guess Norman and his Slaking posed the most challenge to me.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Tate & Liza have always been my most hated gym leaders because of their freaking Lunatone and Solrock.

Normal is a close second though with his Slaking.

#isthenumbersign
Years
Watson's really good for some reason. He's got all those Super Potions and Static Pokemon too. :(

Years
Particularly, Norman as well as Tate and Lisa gave me a really hard time in my first play through as their Pokemon to me were extremely hard to beat. Though, this was also the first time I had ever played through a Pokemon game so, that may have also played a factor, but Lunatone and Solrock were a hard duo to beat.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I am gonna have to say Norman. When I played RSE I did not really pay attention the weaknesses. Now,I don't think I would have that big of a problem. But it has been forever sense I played RSE.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Liza & Tate weren't so hard for me.A couple of Surfs and its over.The most trouble i had is with Wallace because i didn't have a good type advantage against him.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I don't remember who I have the hardest time with on Ruby. My bets would have to go with Norman because back then my teams never had a Fighting type nor a Fighting move. But on my Emerald I would have to say Juan because Kingdra and being quite under leveled. Also Girafarig being the one with a Thunderbolt move ye-up. Not sure if I had my vileplume by then either.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Mine was for some odd reason Tate and Liza. During my first time playing but I was like 8 or 9 and it was my first pokemon game so yeah. In my replay it was Norman but I only failed 2 or 3 times.

~Sincerely
PikakittenX, devout member of the Pokecommunity

ArcanaFlaera

Guard of the Generation
Years
Tate and Liza are always a pain for me whenever I got up against them. The only reason I get to beat them is critical hits with a Surf.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Of all the regions, Hoenn has by far the hardest gym fights. But the hardest is, fittingly, Juan. His team is filled with attack based Pokemon. His Kingdra is insane too, and loves to spam double team.

(Am I the only one who thought that Tate & Liza weren't that hard?)

Years
Tate & Liza were never easy for me, because all of my teams consisted of Blaziken and Swellow, who sucked in the gym, and I usually had some poison type, which always left me to have to try beat them with mainly my water type.

Back