• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Your opinion / gauging interest in pokemon-like game

Rate this game idea

• good idea, would play this

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • interesting, may play it

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • needs more work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not my style of game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2023
first post here since 2017, lol

I'm working on a pet raising/ adoptables game, and would love hearing people's opinion/ whether they'd be interested in something like this.

I'll try keeping it short, I could write a book XD.

The basic concept is a community based game, where players can submit pets and pet forms: recolors/ re-typing/ holiday forms of existing pets. Artists can sell their adoptable/ pet designs for money (players download pets they like), and game developers can create a "region" with a "fake dex" and modified trainer battles / monster map locations (payed features).

The game is 2D, made with RMXP. I may make an App in Unity in the future.
monsters art is 120x120 sprites, so creating pets doesn't require animation or 3D.
wild battles (1 vs 1) are on the map, while the battle screen comes up for trainer battles and hoard battles, and allows for more strategy.
Monsters have a "map ability" which helps during exploration, like finding coins, healing your party, jumping over obstacles, etc. they an in-battle effect as well. there's also digging, to go underground/ soaring to fly above the map, which requires specific monsters in your party.

you get more monsters by hatching eggs or taming wild monsters.
the game is "semi online". meaning, your single-player game affects other players. Ie, if you choose the Healer job, you can set a healing spot in a designated map location, which other players can use in their game. it costs them money, and you can collect your profits once a day. Other jobs will train/ evolve / tame a monster for you, or set up shop, and sell rare eggs or items.

As mentioned, a monster can be found in many 'forms'. some have a 'wild' and a 'tame' form, which looks different, or has a different type. So getting a wild one requires 'taming' one by feeding/ interacting with it on the map / buying eggs from other player's shops.

The breeding system allows changing the pet's battle stats significantly. This ties in with a Breeder job, which can create battle-bred monsters, like designated 'sweepers', 'tanks', etc of a certain monster, to other players.

Riding Clubs: there are clubs dedicated to teach trainers how to ride monsters.
Ie, the surfing club, soaring club.. they have an obstacle course, with common obstacles (waves for the surfing club, etc). if you pass, you get a license, and a riding gear, which opens up new map areas. most clubs are optional, but some block your progress.

Story is pretty basic, I'm no writer ^^;
You're a runaway teenager, pretending to be a ranger. this makes people ask for your help everywhere you go.
you end up caught, but your previous success gets you recruited. you get sent to various tasks, most relating to problems caused by wild monsters, and 'rifts'.
The monsters have come from another world through a 'rift' like that. other rifts start appearing. you meet people who came from the other side, and end up fighting them, as they keep creating more rifts. you also help collecting monsters which came from other worlds (also a way to get player-submitted pets and forms), and visit other worlds (some are fan-made). as a side-story, you explore a cave to search for antique artifacts, where a mysterious object gives you a vision, then releases energy which makes the cave collapse. when you wake up, you acquire the ability to talk to monsters telepathically. after being suspected to be a fraud / scammer, you hide this ability. sadly, the monsters have little understanding/need for grammar, and it takes time to get used to that, and understand what they're saying (I trust some players to figure this out, and make a dictionary of sorts to help others get the concepts behind the monsters-speech). there will be a translator/dictionary item, and the more you talk to monsters, the more words you collect, until you can decipher the message you got in the vision.

and oops, this ended up longer than I planned..

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
sadly, the monsters have little understanding/need for grammar, and it takes time to get used to that, and understand what they're saying (I trust some players to figure this out, and make a dictionary of sorts to help others get the concepts behind the monsters-speech). there will be a translator/dictionary item, and the more you talk to monsters, the more words you collect, until you can decipher the message you got in the vision.

Oh wow! I'd thought of a similar idea a while back, and was wondering if it was too crazy. But if someone else has come up with it independently then it must be okay! I'll be keeping an eye on your project :)

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2023
Thank you Vendily ^^
mgriffin, really? what was your approach to it?
mine was removing words like me, I, and connecting world like 'of', and generally limiting the number of words in a sentence, kinda like someone telepathically sends you a series of images and you have to put them together to form a statement, request or threat.

also, forgot to add this to my post:
all monsters so far: family tree

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
mgriffin, really? what was your approach to it?
mine was removing words like me, I, and connecting world like 'of', and generally limiting the number of words in a sentence, kinda like someone telepathically sends you a series of images and you have to put them together to form a statement, request or threat.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been planning/doing something pretty similar. Because of the way the language ties into my game's mechanics I only need pronouns, verbs and adverbs, and I try to push as many things into adverbs as possible (e.g. "un-" is an adverb in my system), so I've got a very simple grammar, can only express pretty simple ideas, and there's a small number of things to learn which (I hope!) makes it easier for the player. Winning my game is entirely about figuring out the language system.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2023
I'll be using this for recruitment too, so..
More in-depth info about the game:

Main Features:

* Raise monsters

• battle other monsters, hatch eggs, level-up and evolve them. breed to get rare/strong ones.

* Overworld sprites

• First party member follow you on the map.
    wild monsters show on the map, walking around. some will approach you, some evade you.
    wild battles are on the map screen, but with a "zoomed in" battle window. (see more info below)

* Events / Community goals
  • releasing new monsters / new forms of monsters (ie, Halloween themed sprites).

* Submit your own pet
  • other players can download it (can be sold for money/ made free to use). or submit a new form.

* Make a fakedex region (playable!)
  • create a new game version with your own pets & dialog. (payed feature)
will be accessible to other players who purchase your region, by entering a "time rift".

* Community based game

• the game is created by the fans in a way, as they add new monsters and regions. existing monsters change too- smart players can breed ------- the "ultimate" monster for battles, by slowly changing its stats, choosing the perfect ability & battle moves, etc.
    I hope this creates a community of competitive battlers, artists, etc.
    there will be a forum where players can sell/buy items, learn about Events, find new monsters/region, join races, find tips and more.

* Online features

• other players see you as an NPC, by the job you choose: shop owner/healer/tamer/etc at the right "level", and it earns you game-money.
    Races- a contest for a group of friends. Reach a certain point in game first.
    Tournaments. Monthly tournament of online battles, with 1 winner. May on may not happen, still learning the technical requirements.
    if someone beats you to a keypoint along the way, you must fight them (their party, but AI controlled).
    note normal game-play isn't online.

Monster designs

Evolution tree:
https://www.deviantart.com/hollow-shell/art/Monsters-family-tree-823838944

All sketches (outdated, there are ~10 more I need to add)
https://www.deviantart.com/hollow-shell/art/All-pets-sketches-410635969

Interesting bits

The monsters have come from a rift in space/time, hence the game name-- Riftmon.
you'll encounter a few more rifts during the game- defeating monsters coming through/ going into them to explore.
visiting regions/fakedex of other people is done through rifts too.

while some monsters were tamed/domesticated, others are wild, and attack people / raid their fields / plan humanity's demise (spoilers).
some monsters have "domestic" and "wild" forms, with different battle stats/ type/ etc.

There are 12 types:
Pyro, Aqua, Terra, Wind, Solar, Volt, Dark, Frost, Ninja, Metal, Sonic, Spirit.
* Sonic is sound-based. Solar is sunlight based (think plant+light), and Ninja is based on ninja/guardian/martial arts .

Branched evolution
an egg can hatch into 5 kinds of "basic monsters".
there's a basic form for all bugs, mammals, plants..etc. by branched evolution, you can get all monsters in that group.
* only basic forms have multiple evolutions. the 2nd stage monsters may have 2 evos, but it's mostly a simple line from then onward.
evolution lines are 3-5 stages long (2-4 if you don't count the basic "baby" form).
meaning every 2nd stage monster evolves. no Delibirds.
there are 3-5 stages for each monster.
I realize this sounds comlex, but imagine 5 eevee-like monsters, where the eeveelutions are not the last stage, but actually the 1st stage in an evolution line.

The battle system is on-map, literally.
during battle, you see a zoomed-in area of the map, with trees/rocks/etc at the same location. you can move on the zoomed map to dodge/attack/shoot attacks. you can interact with trees, rocks, cliffs, tree logs and more, and some objects have an effect on battle, like boosting a certain type.
your actions affect the map- you can set a bush in fire/ climb a tree/ freeze water /change the weather and more.
May be changed from turn-based system, to real-time with attack recharge. still being debated.

Battle commands include
Attack (use a registered move),
Defend (reduce damage/defend an ally),
Bait (the foe takes it and battle ends),
Item (use a healing item).
Swap (replace with a different monster from the party)
Skill (replace the registered move, choose 1 out of 5 skills)

Each monster has 5 moves available in-battle, and 10 "known moves".
between battles, you can choose any 5 moves from the known moves. no item/ NPC needed.
moves are mostly STAB (same type as the monster) and 'regular' attacks. there's a system to learn other types of moves.
a monster may lose the ability to use a move after evolving (usually it's when the basic form evolves).

Breeding
the breeding system works by stacking small changes to the monster's stats.
the changes are limited, but can lead to new battle roles/strategies for the monster.
unwanted eggs stay with the parents and hatch, becoming "farm animals". they give you items/resources, and can be sent to "work" for you, but require taming to be used in battle.
any monsters not in your party are sent to a farm. you can see them roaming the farm area. you can talk to them to add to the party.

Technical stuff
The game is made in RMXP
the website/server for the online features, will be made in c# and angular (by me).
there will be a forum for the game

My skills/looking for:
I'm a programmer and artist. can do pixel art too. familiar with RMXP, mostly the script section.
I'll need help with music, character design, plot, and dialog for NPCs.
Artists which can design monsters, and play-testers are welcome too.

Recruiting / Open jobs :

• - Concept design
    ------ coming up with ideas for plot events, characters, monsters, battle moves, abilities, forms
    - Feedback collector
    ------ gathering feedback using forums, polls, social media, and streaming the game play.
    - Pixel Art Animator
    ------ animating monster sprites, slightly. ie: making the ear move / wagging the tail, etc. 3-4 frame animations.
    - RMXP Skill Animator
    ------ animating the various skills in RMXP.

Commissions (payed jobs)

• - Graphic Designer
    ------ design the layout of a few menus and the battle screen
    - Artist
    ----- draw a title screen image: a trainer with a few monsters, and a view of mountains/open plains. must be high quality
    ----- draw animation building-blocks. ie: lighting, flames, etc. must be high quality.
    - Ruby Programmer
    ------ teach me how to send web requests in RGSS, and how to post/get files (currently done by running a c# exe)

Last edited:
Back