The PokéCommunity Forums Off Topic Discussions Discussions & Debates
Discussion International Obligations

Discussions & Debates Have a seat at Discussions & Debates for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old 1 Week Ago (1:57 AM).
From The New World
PokéCommunity Daily Staff

Nature: Mild
Do wealthier countries have an obligation to provide aid to those that suffer from poverty or that have been hit by a severe disaster? Why/Why not?

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (8:34 AM).

My own belief is that we have a moral obligation to help people in need. But since that's just my personal belief I don't expect others to agree automatically.

I do think that it makes the most sense for the safety of the world and the human species for people to work together to mitigate disasters, whether they are natural (storms, drought, etc.) or human-generated (war, etc.). It's just hard to help people if you don't have much security yourself so we're all mostly afraid to help for fear of losing what little we have.
Old 1 Week Ago (11:02 AM).
Shocking the Battlefield!

Nature: Serious
Obviously, wealthier countries should try to help less fortunate countries, but they're not really obligated to. The needs of their own citizens needs to come first, in my opinion. Furthermore, the unfortunate reality is that these countries can't rely on foreign aid forever. They need to also do more to help themselves instead of expect someone else to take care of everything.

However, in the case of a natural disaster, wealthier countries should do everything they can to help those afflicted to rebuild. I see that as being an exception to my prior statement.

Old 5 Days Ago (8:15 AM).
I'm baaaaaaaaad

Nature: Lax
Wealthier countries still have poverty and problems. Until those are taken care of, I wouldnt say there is an obligation. And $1 that goes to a poorer country is a $1 not going to a poor person in America. Not to mention, generally, subsidizing poorer countries helps their government and the elites- not the people. It would be better if we removed that middle man.

Im also pretty sure there is an economic consensus that dumping a whole bunch of resources into poor countries destroys their domestic production and ensures their reliance on wealthier countries. It would be better to trade or place a limit on how much wealthier countries give them.

But at an obligation viewpoint... yes and no. I personally believe I have a moral obligation to help others, but I do not believe in forcing my personal moral beliefs on others, nor do i believe others should be able to force their personal moral beliefs on me.

Signature made by Nah
Old 3 Days Ago (12:22 AM).
Discord Moderoid

I believe Europe and Britain definitely have obligations to help the third world countries they ruined with their various Empires.
Old 1 Day Ago (10:13 AM).
High Impact Love and Kindness

Nature: Modest
Absolutely, the amount of hoarded wealth in the world is disgusting.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links