The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: Main Series Games Fourth Generation
Fourth Gen What changes would you make?

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, Platinum
HeartGold, SoulSilver

Old January 8th, 2017 (9:51 PM).

Nature: Quiet
As the title says, what changes would you make to any of the Fourth Gen games? :o

we're living limitless

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 10th, 2017 (6:28 AM).
I'm All Plugged Out!

Nature: Adamant
I wouldn't change toooo much, Platinum pretty much did that and fixed some of the issues in DP. There was quite a few legendaries in Platinum and I was unable to get the ones which event exclusive which was a shame, so I would make the likes of Shaymin and Darkrai available to everyone :3
Old January 10th, 2017 (9:40 AM).

Nature: Serious
Sinnoh has such amazing pokemon from Garchomp to Lucario. Its a dark and cool place with a sense of history and the creation trio lurking in those shadows. But it does feel slow at times despite the ambiance. They made great progress in the way of story and character with Pokemon Platinum, really developing Cynthia beyond the formidable champion into an ally and heroine. This awesome character and the new plotline of a gravity-defying pursuit into the distortion world are the legs that stand this region up in my opinion.

Saying all that, I do even in platinum feel that something is lacking in the story and I've come to the conclusion that its the rival. They tried way too hard to make a funny, zany character and it just kept falling flat to me. His team wasn't anything to write home about and he was just not a character who was convincing to me in this role as his plotline in the story became more important.

What I personally would do if D/P/Pt were remade or got a sequel is keep Barry in the story but bring in a new character, someone who is not exactly a rival, who can bring some of the qualities he's missing to round out the saga.
Old January 10th, 2017 (12:47 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
I'm struggling to find something that I'd change about those games which is most likely why they're my favourites. Diamond and Pearl were great games but then Platinum came along and just made them even better! The only main issue I can think of is the lag in battle, I guess that could be ironed out? When compared to other generations, the battles do seem to be a lot slower and tends to take longer to finish. Platinum sorta fixed this but it still felt like an issue to me.
Old January 10th, 2017 (12:53 PM).

Similarly, I struggle to find things I'd actually change about any fourth generation game. Perhaps include Emerald's version of Battle Frontier since i found it to be ever so slightly better/more challenging than Platinum's rendition of it, but that's just about it.

Interestingly enough I thought I'd include more things I'd want to change in HGSS. Maybe Lyra's design? Not a huge fan of pigtails...

we're living limitless

Old January 10th, 2017 (1:15 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Probably make Diamond and Pearl (and maybe Platinum but I haven't played that in a while) run a bit faster, I think it runs WAY too slow, particularly in-battle. HeartGold and SoulSilver feel much better in that regard however, and I seriously don't know what to fix about those two.
Old January 10th, 2017 (3:47 PM).
☕ milk tea & 💻 code.

My biggest peeve with the game is the lag when encountering a wild pokemon! Your character freezes for a good second or so before the encounter starts.

It's so trivial, but it really drives me mad.

every accomplishment starts with the decision to try
sun diaryplatinum diary
Old January 19th, 2017 (5:33 PM).

For heart gold and soul silver i would have updated and perfected the level scaling. i have no idea what in the world game freak were thinking. they worked on everything BUT that. it isnt that johto is hard, its the sheer incomprehensiveness decision to keep the levels of the pokemon you fight exactly the same. it may have been excusable in the original iterations of the game, but for the remakes its undeniably one of the worst things about the remakes
Old January 22nd, 2017 (4:07 PM).

Nature: Naughty
The only thing I didn't like were a couple HMs in DPP. I know there was one that just sat in a pokeball in the middle of snow and I always forgot about it. xD
Old January 24th, 2017 (5:00 PM).
Classic Barry-Type Rival

Nature: Quirky
I would make the regis available in normal gameplay outside of events, and have them in all games, in certain areas. i.e: Regirock in Diglett's tunnel (Level 40) / Ragged Tunnel (Level 30, but blocked by ruin maniac until 6th gym beaten)

Old February 3rd, 2017 (8:58 AM).
Fallen Angel Yohane

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrax
I would fix the level scaling in HGSS. Give it DPPt's level scaling, so that at the endgame you'd be facing an Elite Four whose party levels gradually advance from ~lv.50 to ~lv.60. Every Pokémon in Kanto would then have levels comparable to the Battle Zone, likewise for Mount Silver's wild Pokémon.
Old February 10th, 2017 (4:20 PM).
Often lost in thought

Nature: Calm
DPP had too many event pokemon, I'd make them ingame pokemon.
Old February 10th, 2017 (8:42 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
Yeah, I definitely agree here. I'm heavily biased because I want to get Shaymin the normal way. ;__;

we're living limitless

Old February 11th, 2017 (6:29 AM).

Nature: Careful
Very, very difficult here! I struggle to find what I don't like about each game since they essentially got fixed overtime, but here's some problems I've noticed:

D/P/PT:
Fix the slowness: I'm not asking for something super fast, and Platinum improved on this a lot, but it still helps out a little bit if this could be improved in a remake or something.

Better Pokedex: Fixed in Platinum, but could use some more fire, ghost, and VIABLE grass types other than Roserade. Maybe give Mothim or Wormadam a buff like Su/Mn?

Some sprite changes: This seems weird, but some sprites for the Pokemon are kinda...off? Look and you see what I mean. I just feel they could've been made a bit better( looking at you Gligar).

Fix that awful Level Curve: As much as I love these games the Level curve is pretty bad. D/P has it the worse, but it's still pretty painful in HGSS. I think the overall lack of trainers before the Elite 4 really doesn't help you. Plus, the lack of evolution items( like a moon stone for NIdoking!) until late really harms some potentially useful Pokemon. I will say though that Platinum surprisingly has the least worst of the level curve. Replaying it, I found it easier to get where I wanted to be in Levels when I got through Victory Road.

Get rid of Whirlpool: No one I know likes it, it sucks in terms of power, just use Waterfall instead.

Nerf Miltank/Poliwrath: I know this weird, but these Pokemon should have some nerf. They are way too strong for their respective portions of the game and I feel, even with my Machop and Mareep, they should have been a tiny bit nerfed.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:14 AM).

Just thought of something!

I'm not a huge fan of Gen IV's contests. I'd really just bring back Gen III's contests with the new (at the time) moves and leave it as is.

Yes, I have a heavy bias towards Gen III-style contests and that time was the last time I really participated in contests. :c They were fun!

we're living limitless

Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:26 AM).
Foolish fools.

Nothing, Gen IV is as close to perfect as Pokemon will ever get

Well...a lack of Fire-types is something that really bothered me; I wanted to choose Piplup and I was stuck without a fire-type for a verrry long time. So one thing I would do would be to actually add some fire-types to earlier routes that aren't worthless like Ponyta.

In HG/SS...make the GB Sounds available immediately. These games are nostalgic as hell, but waiting until the very end of the game to listen to the original music? Obscene. I used my Action Replay to unlock this immediately, but one thing I would have changed would have been to have it included on the Pokegear, maybe as a radio station, rather than as a separate item.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:18 PM).
Innocent Trainer

Nature: Gentle
I think they should have add more other regional starters as a gift pokemon.Morever they should also had changed elite four's team. (the 2nd time battle)
Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:10 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducolamia View Post
D/P/PT:
Fix the slowness: I'm not asking for something super fast, and Platinum improved on this a lot, but it still helps out a little bit if this could be improved in a remake or something.
Agree on this so much - HeartGold / SoulSilver brought it up to the right levels.

Quote:
Better Pokedex: Fixed in Platinum, but could use some more fire, ghost, and VIABLE grass types other than Roserade. Maybe give Mothim or Wormadam a buff like Su/Mn?
In Platinum we had Leafeon and Tangrowth as well?

Quote:
Get rid of Whirlpool: No one I know likes it, it sucks in terms of power, just use Waterfall instead.
The only thing worse than Whirlpool is Defog. At least the former is kinda a fun move and I do like the appearance of the Whirlpools in-game. But yeah somehow its worse than when they had 3 water HMs in Hoenn - I think because in those games you could just delete Dive after reaching Sootopolis City.

Quote:
Nerf Miltank/Poliwrath: I know this weird, but these Pokemon should have some nerf. They are way too strong for their respective portions of the game and I feel, even with my Machop and Mareep, they should have been a tiny bit nerfed.
Nooooo! Miltank is irritating as hell but I wouldn't have it any other way - she'd be so easy to beat otherwise. Also Poliwrath, really? There's so many options for pokémon that can hit it super-effectively by then. Maybe I'm biased because its one of my favourites, I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colours View Post
Just thought of something!

I'm not a huge fan of Gen IV's contests. I'd really just bring back Gen III's contests with the new (at the time) moves and leave it as is.

Yes, I have a heavy bias towards Gen III-style contests and that time was the last time I really participated in contests. :c They were fun!
Oh yeah, Gen IV contests were terrible - they basically added frustration to the original format for no apparent reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyneth View Post
In HG/SS...make the GB Sounds available immediately. These games are nostalgic as hell, but waiting until the very end of the game to listen to the original music? Obscene. I used my Action Replay to unlock this immediately, but one thing I would have changed would have been to have it included on the Pokegear, maybe as a radio station, rather than as a separate item.
I think the idea is to make you explore everywhere again, especially when some new players might not know about the gym leaders appearing for rematches / trades. I actually liked it being so late, gave me a reason to raise my Kanto / Hoenn starters on wild battles rather than exp. share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria Animi View Post
I think they should have add more other regional starters as a gift pokemon.Morever they should also had changed elite four's team. (the 2nd time battle)
I'm not sure what you mean here? In HeartGold / SoulSilver you can get Gen I,II and III starters and you can get Sinnoh starters in Sinnoh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
There's like 2 threads on this already because its so true. I especially don't understand why Darkrai isn't available in-game considering its a counterpart to Cresselia. Shaymin makes more sense as Mew-esque pokémon (The 100x6 base stats cute legends) are never available in-game.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:03 PM).
d r a g o n i a.

Nature: Timid
Honestly, if the changes made in Platinum were present in Diamond and Pearl initially, then I wouldn't dislike gen IV as much as I do. Looking at the things I would fix, they were already handled in Platinum, so I can't say much really. Platinum just...did it. It wasn't enough to save the generation for me, as DP already left the sour taste in my mouth, but still.

I wouldn't make any changes to HGSS, though. I think they handled those very well... Maybe the only thing I'd do is allow GB Sounds to be obtained earlier. By the time you get the item, the game's basically over and there's not much time to enjoy it! So yeah.
Old 6 Days Ago (2:16 AM). Edited 6 Days Ago by Feroniamon.
Harmony of Storms

Nature: Docile
Hm... What would I change? For me there's more to fix things in HGSS than Platinum, which fixed many problems DP has.

Platinum:
- Giving more training options (or moving Houndour to Route 207) when arriving in Hearthome City. I didn't like it I couldn't access Route 212 before the third badge while it was possible in DP (at least the North half).

- Making Darkrai and Shaymin available outside from events, maybe after the League. I don't get it why Darkrai was event-exclusive while it's counterpart Cresselia isn't. And Shaymin is so adorable (actually, I don't like the Shaymin from the Giratina movie, but the Shaymin from Explorers of Sky was decent).

HGSS:
- Fixing the level curve (maybe making it akin to Emerald's level curve, which was alright for me) or making at least a Battle Simulator for training.

- Including the missing evolutions such as Togekiss and Leafeon in the Johto Pokédex. With Togekiss I suddenly saw Togepi finally useable and I was upset Togekiss wasn't in the Johto Pokédex...

- Placing a Moos Rock in Ilex Forest and a Ice Rock in Ice Path, so Leafeon and Glaceon can be available. And making sure Magneton and Nosepass can evolve on Route 10 or Rock Tunnel (because of the Power Plant).

- Obtaining the GB Sounds much earlier. Maybe in Violet City, so Ethan/Lyra would still give you the GB Sounds along with the Vs. Recorder.

- Being able to battle Ethan/Lyra as friendly rivals (more like friends). Not being able was one of many points why I don't like them in HGSS...

- Catching Ho-Oh/Lugia shall remain optional! Just for sake the Kimono Girls plot can stay, but I found it extremely annoying and senseless I have to catch them to process to the league... Another reason why I don't like Ethan/Lyra, because he/she stand around as a roadblock to the Tohjo Falls...

- Having the Shiny Stone and Dusk Stone available from the beginning in Pokeathlon. And maybe reduce the costs from 2500 points to 2000 points for the Elemental Stones, so it will be less tedious.

- Making the Johto Pokémon more common. The Safari Zone may have it fixed kinda, but it isn't enough for me (I would raise the levels from shy 18er levels to mid 20 to early 30er levels, kinda like the Kanto Safari Zone did). Is it difficult to place a Houndour in Route 37 while Mareep can be captured earlier thanks to additional grass in Route 32?

A idea I have for Gen 4 in general was replacing the HMs with a Terrain Ability system. It means every Pokémon has up to four Terrain Ability slots, but it's a fixed list (except if the Pokémon evolves). An example: For using Defog, you are required to have one Pokémon with the Defog Terrain Ability to use it. In this way we can move through without to complain about the HM abundance. It can be a nice idea for a DP remake since SM uses Poké Ride instead of HMs.
Old 6 Days Ago (3:40 AM).
Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.

Nature: Naive
If i'd change one thing, its the soundfont. I find the compositions good, but how it sounds was a bit of a letdown sometimes to me, same with Gen V.
Old 6 Days Ago (8:35 AM).

Looking back at this thread, can I just come out in favour of the existing level curve? I liked how it gave you the opportunity to play around battling wild pokémon to raise your gifted starters in Kanto. Also, if all the pokémon in Kanto have hit lv.50-60 in 3 years, doesn't that mean that in another 3 years literally Red, Ethan and their rivals are going to be the only people able to travel safely around the region?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links