The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Deep Discussion
Debate Are PETA speciesists

Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old January 13th, 2018 (5:10 PM).
Pokémon professor of the Showdin region

Nature: Quirky
    As we all know the PETA are a bunch of people who defend animal rights and often go overboard. But, has it ever occurred to you they might be speciesists. To start this off, here something to consider:
    1) they are actively saying that you are a bad person if you are not vegetarian or vegan
    2) pokemon Black And blue
    3) they encourage human testing
    4) they attacked the mama cooking series because it has too many meat recipes

What do you think

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 13th, 2018 (6:14 PM). Edited January 13th, 2018 by LDSman.

PETA is a horrible bunch that believe that all pet breeds should die. They steal pets and lie to people all the time.

Edit: based on the definition of speciesm, I don’t think they would be. Most animal rights activists consider animals to be equal to people. Speciesm was created to be applied against those that don’t agree with the ARAs.

It could definitely be argued that PETA are bigots as they believe that they are better than the people that eat animals or use animals in any manner.
      Old January 13th, 2018 (7:05 PM). Edited January 13th, 2018 by Juno.

I'm not intimately familiar with PETA or their policies because the last time I looked into them, they just seemed bat-muk crazy and do disgusting things including killing the animals they vowed to protect for god knows why. I am all for animal rights, but like you said they do go overboard in a way that isn't helpful to their own cause - shock value is useful from time to time, but when you just make most people despise your organization it's hard to have a rational conversation or get people to listen to and respect your views.

That said, like LDS said, I'm not so sure about speciesism - do you mean they are speciesist against humans? Their mission statement is to basically put animals on the same level of humans, I think (again, don't know the details) so fundamentally they don't seem to be about speciesism but they do a lot of things that contradict their mission, so I don't know.
      Old January 14th, 2018 (12:05 AM). Edited January 14th, 2018 by gimmepie.
      • GT
      • EO

Nature: Mild
      My problem with PETA is the fanaticism and the hypocrisy (they are actually responsible for the deaths of hundreds of animals). I'm sure there was a point in which they did some good, but these days they are just an organisation based around fuelling the egos of its members. I would not call them speciest since they apparently believe in equality more than anything, but I would agree with the sentiments that they tend towards bigotry.
      Old January 14th, 2018 (5:31 AM).

I wouldn't call them speciesist (Although i'm fairly sure they never focus their efforts on anything that doesn't fall into the traditionally cute category? You never see them railing against people buying snakes or lizards and being neglectful) but they're a bad organisation who constantly does bad things.

Their advertisements against milk claiming it causes autism and their comparisons between farming conditions using actual pictures of the holocaust are pretty damning examples
        Old May 3rd, 2018 (1:49 AM). Edited May 3rd, 2018 by LadyJirachu.
        ~Kawaii Korrina Fangirl~

Nature: Timid
          Ohhhh yes. PETA is very prejudice against humanity IMO. I mean, they won't stop at ANYTHING to turn ANYONE vegan. Even people who might not want to ever stop eating meat due to autistic limitations or something.

PETA doesn't like us. Period.

Sorry if this post bothered anyone but this is just how I personally see them as.

Its one thing to care about animals. But I think they take it too far a lot of the time :/

To top that off, I even wonder if they even truly care about animals too. They don't work to make farms kinder; just to stop them COMPLETELY. Maybe it's changing now, i duno, i haven't been on their site in at least 10 years (i used to even follow them, sadly....i guess when you first find that site you just don't know any better o_o;; ESPECIALLY if you're ALREADY a vegetarian....*sigh*).

I mean, killing off cats and dogs just cuz they may associate with people, too? That organization has a serious hate problem.

Hiyo, i'm Jirachu~<3 Kawaii Pikachu and Jirachi cross, though now my favorite Pokemon character is Korrina; and I crush HARD on her lemme tell ya lol :3

I duno why but the image in my sig stopped showing up....So I removed it. :/
          May add some cute blingee sometime in its place though xD
          Pikachu Diglit Nidoran Pidgey Teddiursa Skitty Lugia Phanpy
          (i'm cute and sweet and like being friends with lots of people. just don't get on my bad side, please ;3)
          Old May 3rd, 2018 (2:18 AM).
          I was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Aliencommander1245 View Post
            I wouldn't call them speciesist (Although i'm fairly sure they never focus their efforts on anything that doesn't fall into the traditionally cute category? You never see them railing against people buying snakes or lizards and being neglectful) but they're a bad organisation who constantly does bad things.

Their advertisements against milk claiming it causes autism and their comparisons between farming conditions using actual pictures of the holocaust are pretty damning examples
            They also released a bunch of saltwaterlobsters into fresh water and caused them to die
            Old May 3rd, 2018 (5:04 AM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Hands View Post
            They also released a bunch of saltwaterlobsters into fresh water and caused them to die
            y'know, how do they expect to do anything good for animals when they do this sort of stuff lol
            Old May 3rd, 2018 (6:10 AM).
            I was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Nah View Post
              y'know, how do they expect to do anything good for animals when they do this sort of stuff lol
              They euthanize an insane amount of shelter animals per year too.
              Old May 3rd, 2018 (7:40 AM).

PETA's nuts. I'm against animal cruelty but they're crazy idiots who probably really don't care about animals.
                Old May 3rd, 2018 (8:40 AM).
                You can make to the sunrise....

Nature: Calm
                  To me they are a Terrible organisation, they are literally bunch of stupids that pretends to care about and rehome pets, but actually end up killing most of the pets they 'rescue', i think although they all started out with good motive but soon they all lost their way & literally become a animal killing organisation in the name of freeing them away from so called "slavery"
                  Old May 8th, 2018 (11:14 PM).
                  Banned

Ehh I don't know. Do we really have enough information to know for sure? We need someone from PETA to ask.
                    Old May 9th, 2018 (8:23 PM).
                    I have it

Nature: Rash
                      I wouldn't call them speciesists, but I also wouldn't rule them out yet. Their actions have been pretty antithetical to the motive they show, and they are apparently against speciesism.

Quick Reply