The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Deep Discussion
Debate Population Control

Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old June 9th, 2018 (2:50 PM). Edited June 9th, 2018 by MortalPhoenix.

Nature: Serious
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
    Is it ethical for a government to take steps to manage the growth of the population it governs?
    It depends on how it is done. Personally, I don't want laws like in China which restricted people to having one Child.

Government does need some control over the population, but how it goes about it matters. At the very least, the Government should try and maintain a fertility rate of 2.1, but put in laws and programs that influence to that rate without forcing people into a straight jacket.

From wikipedia, but it summarizes some information from Crisis in the Population Question.

"The book deals with the consequences of continued low fertility in Sweden. Sweden was threatened by population decline and thus reduced productivity and standard of living. The authors advocated a series of social reforms in order to overcome this problem."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_in_the_Population_Question
    Old June 15th, 2018 (9:23 PM).
    Primary form of sustenance is cute images

Nature: Lax
    If it's really severe, like in India or China, I think maybe some measures might be warranted, though these need to be well vetted to make sure they don't end up causing unintended consequences (like families abandoning, killing, or selling children for financial reasons as happened in China). Anywhere else, no.

I will never support any kind of hard limit on children because I believe people have a right to procreate as long as they're able and willing to do what's necessary to support a family. I'm also not sure I buy the idea that overpopulation is this huge impending disaster that's going to affect everyone, and even if it was, I think there are other solutions we can pursue that won't infringe on basic human freedom.

Quick Reply