• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[EM] Battle Engine Upgrade (On Halt, Will undergo reboot!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
I learn about attacks animations the last 2 weeks, and i make some animations for finish
this awesome project:

i make all last for 4 Gen: (you can download all in the attachment)
i test one per one, and all work fine

PSYCHO SHIFT

Psycho_Shift.gif

Spoiler:

TRUMP_CARD

Trump_Card.gif

Spoiler:

HEAL_BLOCK

Heal_Block.gif

Spoiler:

ME_FIRST

Me_First.gif

Spoiler:

COPYCAT

Copycat.gif

Spoiler:

LAST_RESORT

Last_Resort.gif

Spoiler:

HEART_SWAP

Heart_Swap.gif

Spoiler:

MAGNET_RISE

Magnet_Rise.gif

Spoiler:

MAGNET_BOMB

Magnet_Bomb.gif

Spoiler:

STONE_EDGE

Stone_Edge.gif

Spoiler:

STEALTH_ROCK

Stealth_Rock.gif

Spoiler:

CHATTER

Chatter.gif

Spoiler:

DOUBLE_HIT

Double_Hit.gif

Spoiler:

ROAR_OF_TIME

Roar_Of_Time.gif

Spoiler:

SPACIAL_REND

Spacial_Rend.gif

Spoiler:

CRUSH_GRIP

Crush_Grip.gif

Spoiler:

MAGMA_STORM

Magma_Storm.gif

Spoiler:

DARK_VOID

Dark_Void.gif

Spoiler:

SEED_FLARE

Seed_Flare.gif

Spoiler:

SHADOW_FORCE

Shadow_Force.gif

Spoiler:

well it finish 4 gen moves animations, i finishing 5 gen now, i public it soon.

download all code in attachment.

Alot of those look fine, you could have used some of the custom particles and animations I've already made in my rombase such as for Stealth Rock, Stone Edge, etc. Good placeholders for now though!

I'd also use a different background for Chatter it currently looks like Bug Buzz, maybe the air background.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 8, 2019
I guess my command prompt will help people find my error...

Spoiler:

That is what the command prompt said after I ran "python scripts/make.py".

Last edited:

Wesley FG

Pokémon Kalos Advance !! Gba Hack
Years
The animations all look awesome, very well done, thank you! :)
I'm also glad you took your time and learned how the animation scripts work and posted them in the script format.

Thanks so much, i really apreciated your work and love make it.

All the animations look really nice, but If I could give a couple of suggestions:

Chatter's animation looks almost the same as Bug Buzz. Would be better to switch the background to the same as Aeroblast's, since both are Flying type moves.

Seed Flare would look more accurate with a green background instead of a red one.

EDIT: Looking at it a second time, Shadow Force would look more accurate if you used Shadow Ball/Night Shade background instead of Cosmic Power's. I think this could also apply to Dark Void's animation, though you could use Faint Attack's background since both are Dark type moves.

Other than that they're all great. congratulations!

Thanks for you sugestion, i really like all and make the changes.

Alot of those look fine, you could have used some of the custom particles and animations I've already made in my rombase such as for Stealth Rock, Stone Edge, etc. Good placeholders for now though!

I'd also use a different background for Chatter it currently looks like Bug Buzz, maybe the air background.

Thanks so much, i am new making it, and because it only use particle from the game, i can improve much the animations. About the Chatter i really not know all new moves animations, and i change it.

I guess my command prompt will help people find my error...

Spoiler:

That is what the command prompt said after I ran "python scripts/make.py".

you probably not install :

https://sourceforge.net/projects/devkitpro/files/devkitARM/devkitARM_r45/

or install wrong,
1-you check if selected the correct version for windowns 32 or 64 bits,
2-if yes when you install you click right button of mouse and select "install with permission of administrator"

============================================
The changes:

New Chatter

New_Chatter.gif

New Seed Flare

New_Seed_Flare.gif

New Dark Void

New_Dark_Void.gif

New Shadow Force

New_Shadow_Force.gif

The Code for all are in attchments

Attachments

• Gen4Moves.rar
    2.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Thanks so much, i really apreciated your work and love make it.

Thanks for you sugestion, i really like all and make the changes.

Thanks so much, i am new making it, and because it only use particle from the game, i can improve much the animations. About the Chatter i really not know all new moves animations, and i change it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/devkitpro/files/devkitARM/devkitARM_r45/

or install wrong,
2-if yes when you install you click right button of mouse and select "install with permission of administrator"

============================================
The changes:

New Chatter

New_Chatter.gif

New Seed Flare

New_Seed_Flare.gif

New Dark Void

New_Dark_Void.gif

New Shadow Force

New_Shadow_Force.gif

The Code for all are in attchments

Chatter, Dark Void and Shadow Force all look really good!

For Dark Void and Shadow Force I'd be happy to make new battle backgrounds to make them look more like Gen 4+

Leandro Zam

Brasileiro
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2021
Hello friends, I am new to this branch of the hack rom and I am having difficulties to be able to do the configuration and installation, do you have any explanatory video? I've already made about 40% of the exchange of the original rom tiles, is it going to be a problem? Thanks in advance!

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 8, 2019
-stuff-

~link~

or install wrong,

-other stuff-

Is there a windows 64 bit version? I only see a download for windows 32 on there.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 6, 2017

They look really cool. Glad you liked my suggestions. ^_^

-----

Also, for you or any other move animator that might be doing Gen 6 moves: Cosmic Power's background combined with Fly would make a great Dragon Ascent animation. Just throwing the suggestion out there if anyone might wanna try.

Leandro Zam

Brasileiro
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2021
Hello friends, I am new to this branch of the hack rom and I am having difficulties to be able to do the configuration and installation, do you have any explanatory video? I've already made about 40% of the exchange of the original rom tiles, is it going to be a problem? Thanks in advance!

Here is the error that is appearing for me:

C:\Users\leand\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\python.exe: can't find '__main__' module in 'scripts'

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 8, 2019
I've found out my problem. If you're having trouble, use python 3.6.

Trainer 781

(Somewhat a sad one as it delays the completion progress)
So despite the Battle Engine Upgrade nearing completion (in terms of abilities, moves) and the hard work put by us (especially Egg), the current progress of and support to the Battle Engine Upgrade is put to a stop and will undergo a complete reboot. I had a discussion with Egg regarding this and he also agrees with this.
There are various reasons to reboot this:
1. Bug fixing is becoming increasingly difficult-
The code is becomming quite messy. Sometimes one issue fix or Ability additional requires change in 6-7 files. We are encountering various complex bugs as well. Things like lack of usage of enums and comments, and usage of Goto labels also contribute to bad coding practice. The Gen 3 Battle Engine made by GF appears to be poorly coded and the Upgrade was built on top of that so that is also contributing to the complexity of maintanence.

2. Support for pokeemerald -
With the advent of pokeemerald, we will have full control and knowledge of the Gen 3 Battle System, especially the graphics part. So the reboot will use same naming conventions and structures as that of pokeemerald. And the rebooted engine will be designed in a such that it can be easily attached to pokeemerald as well as applied to an Progessing Hack.

3. Availability of better builds -
There are now better builds which come with tools that support pre-processing images and strings. So for example, if you want to change a particle of a move animtion. You can directly replace the .png file of that particular particle.

4. Support for Prefilled Gen 1-7 data -
Currently, the Dex Expansion project is also undergoing a revamp with support for pokeemerald style structures and more importantly, prefilled Gen 1-7 data. So if you have being using the Engine Upgrade, you must have seen configurables to adjust form(e) indices. This part will be eliminated if you use the new upcomig Dex Expansion with pre-filled data.

5. One centralized config file -
Configurables are scattered like garbage across the 5 repos. So the aim is to have a single config file the drives all the repos and makes it more convenient to configure data.

So what's up next?
1. You are still free to continue using these 5 repos for now and report bugs in GitHub. Even though bugs reported won't likely be fixed, but they will serve as "what to avoid" in the reboot.
2. The remaining repos will undergo restructure as well, means there will be a change in the installation process as well (hopefully, more easier and cross-platform).
3. Progress on the Battle Engine reboot will start after pokeemerald reaches a good level of decompilation.
4. Contributions like animation scripts (thanks to MrDollSteak, WesleyFG etc.) and particle images (thanks to Goranthegreat, Artemis etc.) will be archived safely for the reboot.

So some of you might feel like pelting stones at me, but then when there is a better way of doing things, some bold decisions have to be taken.
The currently Battle Engine Upgrade was a revelation, but now it requires a reboot to make it even better.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 8, 2019
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT
~text~

Questions:
1: When this is finished, can you apply this to a ROM that had the old Emerald Battle Engine Upgrade?
2: How long do you think this will take? I'm not asking for a release date, but an estimate.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Questions:
1: When this is finished, can you apply this to a ROM that had the old Emerald Battle Engine Upgrade?
2: How long do you think this will take? I'm not asking for a release date, but an estimate.

Considering that it relies on pokeemerald's completion, it will be a long time. Longer than you want to hear.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 8, 2019
Considering that it relies on pokeemerald's completion, it will be a long time. Longer than you want to hear.

Well that kind of sucks, but i'll wait. I can just hack some other games in the meantime. :)

Trainer 781

1. Definitely!
2. This has been already answered by deok for you.

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
A shame you are going to start all over again. Either way, you guys did an amazing job on the battle engine so far and I'm definitely looking forward to the reboot at some point in the future. :]

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 8, 2023
Hi.

I had a few problems that I'd like you to change:

1. Make it possible for us to install devkitPro somewhere else;

2. I have to also change the name of the initial .gba file in line 131 of insert.py for the script to work.

Poq

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 28, 2021
Here is the error that is appearing for me:

C:\Users\leand\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\python.exe: can't find '__main__' module in 'scripts'

I am getting this same error. I don't really have a lot of command prompt experience and no python experience. Any tips?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 28, 2023
When I build the rom and get test.gba, it's just the original rom. Opening it with PGE results in original game data mixed with nonsense.
WJEl8

Edit: I'm on a clean Emerald ROM and haven't edited make.py at all besides changing "false" to "true" on searching for free space.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2022
Does anyone have a correct .INI for PGE?

The one I have created messed up the moveset data. All the movesets have just moved down.

Example: Butterfree's is charizards, raticates is fearows. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back