The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Deep Discussion
Life Record breaking heat across the globe

Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old August 9th, 2018 (3:48 PM).

Nature: Adamant
Hey guys! It's no news that temperatures everywhere have been really something in the northern hemisphere. There have been deaths and hospitalizations. So I thought maybe we could discuss it!

Is global warning coming faster than thought?
Some scientists say that soon these will be normal temperatures, could you adjust?
What are some ways to cool off you do?
Do you think cities should start to designate areas, like public places, for those without ac to cool off during this?

All of my hate cannot be found
I will not be drowned by your thoughtless scheming
Old August 10th, 2018 (7:13 AM).
Wayfarer

Nature: Brave
    "Climate change" is a more accurate term for it and yes it is happening faster than expected. Keeping track of everything the fluctuating temperatures affect is difficult.

Adjusting to the temperature changes won't be a problem. The souped up storms might cause trouble every once in a while. Fortunately most of them are easy to track.

Air conditioning, ice cream, walking in shade, and traveling outside in the morning or late in the afternoon.

Yes, if the demand is there and they don't have any. I think most cities in hot places have some sort of cooling zone or at least a number of public places with air conditioning.
    Old August 11th, 2018 (6:20 AM).

Nature: Hasty
      Climate Change happened, and we all let that happen.

Even if we invested 200% of our lives into a perfectly clean and efficient lifestyle that's environmentally friendly, it would still be undermined by powerful crooks who put themselves above the law and giving numerous corporations the legal luxuries and rights to reverse all our efforts.
      Old August 11th, 2018 (10:00 AM).
      VLONE coming soon

Nature: Relaxed
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by CF1994 View Post
        Climate Change happened, and we all let that happen.

Even if we invested 200% of our lives into a perfectly clean and efficient lifestyle that's environmentally friendly, it would still be undermined by powerful crooks who put themselves above the law and giving numerous corporations the legal luxuries and rights to reverse all our efforts.
        Yep that's exactly what is happening. Humanity is the virus of the planet. We're the only species that destroys it's planet for profit and control. Our actions have caused many animals to go extinct as well. Mother Nature will wipe us out to get rid of the virus and restart.
        Old 1 Week Ago (5:23 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Enpatsu Shakugan.
        The Unyielding Flame

Global warming is simply sensationalist media, I say.

Fear mongering to induce guilt on humanity, even though simple climate change has been a thing throughout all of Earth's history. It's pretty arrogant of humanity in general to assume it's due to us or not. It would've happened with or without us, as it has for the last several billions of years.

Climate change happens, but global warming is nonsense with not a leg to stand on, as far as I'm concerned. The fact a raging hypocrite like Al Gore is the spokesman behind it is further proof of its nonsense.

"I'm a talking cat."
        Old 1 Week Ago (9:08 PM).
        Wayfarer

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Enpatsu Shakugan View Post
          Global warming is simply sensationalist media, I say.

Fear mongering to induce guilt on humanity, even though simple climate change has been a thing throughout all of Earth's history. It's pretty arrogant of humanity in general to assume it's due to us or not. It would've happened with or without us, as it has for the last several billions of years.

Climate change happens, but global warming is nonsense with not a leg to stand on, as far as I'm concerned. The fact a raging hypocrite like Al Gore is the spokesman behind it is further proof of its nonsense.
          https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
          Old 1 Week Ago (9:16 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Enpatsu Shakugan.
          The Unyielding Flame

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Kai Ai View Post
          Climate change, not global warming.

I never said climate change wasn't a thing. Nor did I deny it. I'm saying the overhyped catastrophe and the concept of global warming in particular are sensationalism.

"I'm a talking cat."
          Old 1 Week Ago (9:44 PM).
          Wayfarer

I posted that to help show how humans have negatively affected the natural fluctuation of the Earth's climate.

Global warming refers to a specific part of climate change. It's not the only factor but it is one. You can find evidence supporting it on the same website.
            Old 6 Days Ago (6:58 AM). Edited 6 Days Ago by Enpatsu Shakugan.
            The Unyielding Flame

Quote:
            Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
            Yep that's exactly what is happening. Humanity is the virus of the planet. We're the only species that destroys it's planet for profit and control. Our actions have caused many animals to go extinct as well. Mother Nature will wipe us out to get rid of the virus and restart.
            I guess what bothers me is vilifying humans (which we all are, unless claiming you're not is now the newest trend) and our current way of life, as seen here.

I don't see ShinyUmbreon giving up their internet and current way of life, despite feeling this way. Why not? Practice what you preach, or don't try to rally up notions like this, is what I think. Or expect to be called out for hypocrisy.

"I'm a talking cat."
            Old 6 Days Ago (6:29 PM).

I think the thing there, is that this is a change that has to happen at an institutional level not an individual one. A few people dropping off the internet, or even a lot of people, isn't going to change anything when the majority of our power still comes from burning coal, oil and gas and with dangerous processes like fracking not only no stopping but actually becoming more widely spread.

Everyday people can't make that switch, governments and businesses have to do that.
            Old 6 Days Ago (7:43 PM). Edited 6 Days Ago by Enpatsu Shakugan.
            The Unyielding Flame

Quote:
            Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
            I think the thing there, is that this is a change that has to happen at an institutional level not an individual one. A few people dropping off the internet, or even a lot of people, isn't going to change anything when the majority of our power still comes from burning coal, oil and gas and with dangerous processes like fracking not only no stopping but actually becoming more widely spread.

Everyday people can't make that switch, governments and businesses have to do that.
            Yeah, but if more people had the same conviction for it, it wouldn't remain a small number, was more my point. But most everyone who likes to complain doesn't actually do anything to remedy their complaints.

If each of those same people actually took steps, it would have an impact. But it's always easier to just gripe instead...

"I'm a talking cat."
            Old 6 Days Ago (1:24 AM).
            I was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
              If each of those same people actually took steps, it would have an impact. But it's always easier to just gripe instead...
              No it wouldn't. Individual contribution to climate change is incredibly minor, especially among the majority (ie the poor)
              Old 5 Days Ago (5:30 AM). Edited 5 Days Ago by Nah.

I think that there's something of a point in Enpatsu's most recent post (that sort of more applies in general), but I agree that in regards to carbon emissions, individuals can't really reduce them to a significant enough degree. 10 million people could tomorrow completely stop using electricity and motor vehicles for the rest of their lives, and it wouldn't really do much. Most people aren't really willing to give up those things anyway, or for many it's not an option at all.

World needs to start shifitng towards finding and using more and more alternative/renewable energy sources anyway for the inevitable day that oil/coal/natural gas runs out. Not that you'll see those corporations pursue those avenues anytime soon.
              Old 5 Days Ago (1:07 PM).
              The Unyielding Flame

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Nah View Post
              I think that there's something of a point in Enpatsu's most recent post (that sort of more applies in general), but I agree that in regards to carbon emissions, individuals can't really reduce them to a significant enough degree. 10 million people could tomorrow completely stop using electricity and motor vehicles for the rest of their lives, and it wouldn't really do much. Most people aren't really willing to give up those things anyway, or for many it's not an option at all.

World needs to start shifitng towards finding and using more and more alternative/renewable energy sources anyway for the inevitable day that oil/coal/natural gas runs out. Not that you'll see those corporations pursue those avenues anytime soon.
              Yeah, the gist of my point was basically less vilifying/whining/griping and taking more action.

Even if it DID help to revert back to 100 years ago, that's the antithesis of progress. I believe we can have our cake and eat it too, we just need to find new and better methods. And it's still not too late either.

I'd rather that effort used to complain and all that be used in a different way to actually get there.

"I'm a talking cat."
              Old 5 Days Ago (6:29 PM).

It's major corporations that make the most waste not individual citizens.
              Don't attack strangers online who use minimal resources.

Old 5 Days Ago (6:32 PM).
              The Unyielding Flame

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Raven View Post
              It's major corporations that make the most waste not individual citizens.
              Don't attack strangers online who use minimal resources.
              This is scapegoating, in my opinion.

"I'm a talking cat."
              Old 5 Days Ago (6:49 PM).

Quote:
              This is scapegoating, in my opinion.
              It literally isn't yes people can reduce their waste and make it a bit easier in their cities but until the big polluters make an effort the change will be minimal. Huge companies buy out of having to use clean methods so waste continues.

Do you honestly think someone on pc makes as much waste as like walmart? There needs to be global change not just nitpicking random people.

Old 5 Days Ago (8:20 PM).
              The Unyielding Flame

Quote:
              It literally isn't yes people can reduce their waste and make it a bit easier in their cities but until the big polluters make an effort the change will be minimal. Huge companies buy out of having to use clean methods so waste continues.

Do you honestly think someone on pc makes as much waste as like walmart? There needs to be global change not just nitpicking random people.
              I think the notions of blaming the 'corporations' is tired and petty.

Where do your parents work, by the way? A nice little mom and pop store? Doubt it. Corporations keep this country going.

And you're missing my point. Of course emissions by single people is far smaller than any large group, be it a business or even household, but my biggest point was instead of endlessly complaining, people need to either cut back and practice what they preach or come up with better methods for progress.

These constant scapegoats and vilification on how humanity lives these days is so juvenile and senseless, nor does it accomplish anything.

"I'm a talking cat."
              Old 5 Days Ago (8:32 PM).

Quote:

Where do your parents work, by the way? A nice little mom and pop store? Doubt it. Corporations keep this country going.

And you're missing my point. Of course emissions by single people is far smaller than any large group, be it a business or even household, but my biggest point was instead of endlessly complaining, people need to either cut back and practice what they preach or come up with better methods for progress.

These constant scapegoats and vilification on how humanity lives these days is so juvenile and senseless, nor does it accomplish anything.
              It's the constant pressure from "juvenile vilification" that has lead to the few improvements governments and businesses have made as far as conservation and pollution goes. Furthermore, you're making a lot of assumptions about how the people you're talking to live - you have no idea what efforts have been made by individual people to reduce their emissions. On top of that numerous better ways of getting our power have been put forward by people lobbying for a change but the corporations that run the world - despite the fact the shouldn't - do not make those changes and are only supported by the governments they buy our or the crackpot conspiracy theorists they pay to maintain the status quo.

Large corporations, governments and the wealth who aren't using their ridiculously vast resources in a positive way should be vilified because their greed is the most central factor in obliterating the stable environment the human race needs to survive.
              Old 5 Days Ago (9:08 PM).

If corporations close down just because the government is like hey you should recycle then im just :/
              How can you support that attitude and letting them get away with what they do?
              By the way my parents are 70 and retired

Old 5 Days Ago (10:43 PM). Edited 5 Days Ago by Enpatsu Shakugan.
              The Unyielding Flame

Quote:
              Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
              Large corporations, governments and the wealth who aren't using their ridiculously vast resources in a positive way should be vilified because their greed is the most central factor in obliterating the stable environment the human race needs to survive.
              I can agree to this. Those in power have been amazingly impotent in initiating any progress at all, especially with the resources they have. And the reason is literally greed, yes.

But at the same time, I get so sick of this scapegoat mindset of "I'm outside the problem! It's everybody else!"

It's everywhere. I've seen it in real life and online in droves. Everyone should take responsibility if they actually do care about it.

Quote:
              By the way my parents are 70 and retired
              I feel you missed the point of why I even asked.

"I'm a talking cat."
              Old 4 Days Ago (6:25 AM).

Nature: Serious
                Quote:

You have said that people need to do more than complain, but while it might feel like griping, one reason that it is important to keep talking about how we as humans can potentially harm the environment is not to "induce guilt on humanity" as you put it, but simply to raise awareness. People will not make changes to their personal lives, much less seek reforms on a local, national or worldwide level if they don't believe that anything is wrong.

Though you were critical of previous comments, whether you agreed or not what the previous users succeeded in doing at least is bringing you into the conversation at least, which is constructive.

When you first became part of the discussion the notion that climate change could even be man-made in any way you insisted was "nonsense" and "without a leg to stand on." However, now the conversation has shifted from debating the existence of global warming back to the original intent of the topic, what can we personally do to make the world better.

After viewing the data from NASA and continuing to talk with members of the community, are you perhaps reevaluating beliefs you previously believed? Are you still of the opinion that this is sensationalism and that humans play no role whatsoever in climate change? The sense I got from your more recent posts is that you not be so certain any longer, but I will let you answer that for yourself.

I think if you have come away with anything new then it would be a good thing because we should always keep our mind open for new scientific findings on anything that could present themselves at anytime. However, to reiterate I don't see this as fearmongering or scapegoating or arrogant, I see it as the beginning of a conversation, that is how progress starts.

I also want to add that in my state there are corporations that have actively prevented people from moving to solar and wind-based energy. A local church received donations of solar energy equipment so that they no longer had to use fossil fuels to heat and cool their buildings, however the gas giant Duke Energy has a monolopy on the town and sued the church and blocked them from using more effecient equipment so that they could only use Duke! The Republican governor at the time was a former of CEO of this same company and made laws that allowed the fossil fuel industry to do such predatory actions. He even went so far as to allow them to leak toxins into a state river, and helped them cover it up and did not make them pay for the 39,000 tons of coal ash that went our water system.

The same kind of corruption took place on the other side of the country when I was up north, this time however it was a very famous Democratic Senator voted against groundwater measures because her biggest campaign contributors were also from the oil and gas industry, particularly Exxon Mobil. This allowed said company to use the known carcinogen mbte that leaked into the water supplies of millions of Americans.

The reasons I told you these stories is to illustrate why many people feel frustrated and cynical because we have greedy politicians that let industries do what they want, and it does undermine our conservation efforts. This is a very different thing than individual people not taking action. To give you a larger scale example rather than simply regional ones the real reason that we pulled out of the Paris Accord is because it was what the oil industry wanted us to do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/01/republican-senators-paris-climate-deal-energy-donations

The average corporation is trying to make as much money as they can, and there is nothing wrong with making money, but the reality is that they can use their money to influence the kinds of policies that we get, even though yes individually we do what we can by recycling, turning off electronics when we are not using them, not littering, plating a garden, and driving less. I don't think anyone here is saying that we don't have to do anything personally and bear no responsibility, so please I hope that you don't misunderstand. I think we are only dealing with the surface of the problem however if we just look at ourselves and our daily lives. It ignores the pink elephant in the back of the room if we don't identify larger-scale pollutant contributors.

Name: Narcissus
                Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                Old 4 Days Ago (11:15 AM).
                The Unyielding Flame

To use "corporation" so generally though is an umbrella term badmouthing every single major business, when I'm sure many others aren't directly a cause or may even be trying to alleviate their own impact. They shouldn't all be grouped in so casually; like, "the normal people are fine, but those darn corporations are the issue."

Such a general statement is stupid. And we're essentially biting the hand the feeds us with it too.

And to clear up, climate change IS a thing, but I think it's sensualist propaganda to think it's catastrophe levels or even solely human influence; was my biggest point with that.

"I'm a talking cat."
                Old 7 Hours Ago (7:20 PM).
                It's Britney, witch.

This whole year has been dry and hot where I live in SoCal. Like, we just had about five years of drought from around 2011 to 2015, and just when 2016 gave us some relief, it feels like we're back to drought conditions this year. It hardly snowed in the mountains last winter, it's only rained three times since January, we broke our highest temp record in July, and it's still too warm even in September. It's madness.

Quick Reply