• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokécurse: BloodRed Version (ALPHA 0.8 Update)

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
MpicITK.png

Have you ever heard of the story of CURSEDONE?

Not really, what's it about?

The story goes about someone who got a copy of POKéMON FireRed from the Internet...
But the game wasn't exactly like it.

A fake cartridge?
No wonder...

But that's not all... The game was titled... POKéMON BloodRed. The legend says the cartridge was cursed by the blood of a demon.

Do demons bleed?

I don't know, what kind of question is that? Regardless, the game seemed fine, apart from the title screen, but after a certain point...

What happened then?

Nobody knows... This person suddenly... Disappeared alongside their Gameboy, but the cartridge was found on the bed...

Disappeared? How?

We'll never know... But the story doesn't end there. Five years later, CURSEDONE simply popped out of nowhere...

Dead?

No! CURSEDONE was alive! But their mindset had undergone... Radical changes. CURSEDONE wasn't as happy as before, and spent all the day crying.

A couple days later their body was found at their parents' house.

Suicide?

You bet... The scariest thing is that one of their friends got the cartridge and sold it at an auction on the Internet...

Sounds like he got a ton of cash.

Indeed. But can you imagine for a moment? What if that cartridge has fell onto bad hands?
If the ROM of the cartridge gets dumped and uploaded to the Internet...

Then everyone would be able to play it, and...

It would be a total massacre.

But what are the chances of that?

AYGSUPX.png

Beware with...
...GHOUL POKéMON

GHOUL POKéMON are frightening, ferocious and very dangerous lookalike POKéMON creatures from THE REALM. Their stats, types and even attacks are very different from your regular POKéMON.
Be extremely careful when trying to tame them... If you can!
DziWWP4.png
...MOVING AROUND WITH NO POKéMON

Sometimes, you'll be forced to explore this dangerous world without POKéMON. Be careful, as the consequences will be dreadful.
...WHAT CHOICES YOU MAKE

You'll be tested with many difficult choices. Even the most insignificant one could have a great effect on your ultimate destiny.
jC34LVl.png
...WHO YOU DEFEAT

Sometimes, you will regret victory, so choose wisely which TRAINER or which POKéMON are you battling with. Not being careful could make you fall into complete madness. However, this could be a myth.
...THE FOUR TORTURED SOULS

There are 4 very powerful GHOUL POKéMON wandering around the KANTO region. Unless you have the right means, you should try your best and not face them, or else you'll be punished by their rage.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Screenshots
ryIgH4a.png
iZoUCDn.png

ZGioPiA.png
AteNLTf.png

z9FLXow.png
MoOPHcE.png

"Dumping" Progress
Current version: Alpha 0.8

DOWNLOAD if you dare...
< < Base Game (Milestone 7) > >

Mirror 1
Mirror 2

<< Download latest update patch >>

Features implementation: 77%.
Story: 45%.
Maps: 33%.
Re-skin sprites: 25%.
New graphics: 25%.
Music: 33%.

Update information

Save files are carried over to newer versions of Pokécurse.
Not all updates are backwards compatible with previous versions. This means that to update to the next version, you may have to delete your save file and start over from the beginning.

To do so, delete the folder name Pokécurse: Blood Red Version located at your Saved Games folder. (usually in C:\Users\{{YOUR-USERNAME}}\Saved Games).

Here is a small chart of how new versions can be compatible with older releases.

• Compatible: You can play with your current save file with no problems.
  • Semi-compatible: It's not necessary to delete your save file to progress in the story, but to enjoy all the features in the new release, you'll have to delete it.
  • Incompatible: You must delete your save file to continue.

Release date
Expecting release date at Christmas 2018.

Staff Credits
93jquF5.png

Kc3TmPS.png

Last edited:

f-croco0708

Delicious FriedCroco in frying pan!
Years
Good game. The idea is interestingly amazing! I enjoy when playing it very much. It brings me true shiver, especially when I enter the Cerulean Cave and Mysterious House.
But there's something make your game quite sketchy. The map isn't built very well, when going to the corner, the black side can be seen. I guess that this would make the game unique after entering another Realm, but before the point this makes your game quite unnatural. Just fix some of your early maps.
The second thing that's quite hilarious in the game: the soul of the Houndour can be caught! I success in the first time. Just change the capture rate to 0 or rescript so that noone could catch it.
The last thing I want to mention is that when player shoul has been captured, just force player to save without informing. This will surely put an end and force player to replay.
Anyway, I just love the game so much! Hope you a success in this game =)).

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
Good game. The idea is interestingly amazing! I enjoy when playing it very much. It brings me true shiver, especially when I enter the Cerulean Cave and Mysterious House.
But there's something make your game quite sketchy. The map isn't built very well, when going to the corner, the black side can be seen. I guess that this would make the game unique after entering another Realm, but before the point this makes your game quite unnatural. Just fix some of your early maps.
The second thing that's quite hilarious in the game: the soul of the Houndour can be caught! I success in the first time. Just change the capture rate to 0 or rescript so that noone could catch it.
The last thing I want to mention is that when player shoul has been captured, just force player to save without informing. This will surely put an end and force player to replay.
Anyway, I just love the game so much! Hope you a success in this game =)).
Thank you very much for your feedback!

About the catch bug, I'll fix that in the next big update, when a new feature will be introduced.

Funny enough, originally the game over screen forced the game to be saved, but testers from the closed demo said that it was very frustrating to force you to start over from the beginning, so we scrapped it.

it stops downloading halfway for me, anyone else have this problem?
I'm uploading a couple of mirror links if Dropbox is having trouble with downloading the demo.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 18, 2019
hey finished your demo, def looking forward to more of it...had a nice silent hill feel in some of the places and the puzzles weren't dramatically difficult... nice suspence look forward to the next update

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
Milestone 6 & 7 Update
NECRA BALL update
Milestone 7 Demo in August 2017

Milestone 7 is semi-compatible with Milestone 5
This means that you can use the same savefile you have in Milestone 5, but you might miss some stuff that has some importance, but it's not vital.

New features & additions

• GHOUL POKéMON won't be able to be caught using regular BALLS.
  • Introducing NECRA BALLs, a modified version of a regular BALL that can only be used to catch GHOUL POKéMON.
  • Likewise, regular POKéMON will always break out of NECRA BALLs.
  • Obtaining NECRA BALLs will affect the story progress. (Not obtainable as of Milestone 6)
  • The FOUR TORTURED SOULS will throw any BALL back at your POKéMON, hurting it, including NECRA BALLs. When this happens, you'll recover the BALL.
  • Rock Tunnel, Route 5 and Saffron City will become available in Milestone 6.
  • Route 7 and Celadon City will become available in Milestone 7.
  • At least 3 new POKéMON GHOUL will be added in Milestone 6.
  • At least4 new POKéMON GHOUL will be added in Milestone 7.
  • The third TORTURED SOUL will be revealed in Milestone 7.
  • New Trainer battle theme while inside the Realm. The old one will be reused in the future.
  • The last room of the Mysterious House will be available in Milestone 6.
  • Running Shoes will be obtainable in Milestone 7.
  • A new featured involving CURSEDONE himself will be available in Milestone 7

Bug fixes & improvements

• The ball containing the ROOM KEY won't appear twice anymore.
  • Improved dialogues in the MYSTERIOUS HOUSE.
  • Statuses icons have been customized and correctly placed.
  • Fixed a glitch where you could select a non existent POKéMON while switching during a POKéMON battle.
  • Opening the bag in battle will now use the vanilla bag interface.
  • The bag interface will be customized to look like in Pokémon FireRed.
  • Fixed a buggy trainer in Route 4 that made you battle her again right after defeating her.
  • HP gauge bars now turn color at the same amounts.
  • Expanded maps outside the Realm in Milestone 6.
  • Expanded maps in the Realm in Milestone 7.
  • The third TORTURED SOUL will be revealed in Milestone 7.
  • Viridian Forest theme will finally be added in Milestone 7.
  • Milestone 6 will test BetterRandom against Vanilla Random algorithms.
  • If BetterRandom turns out to suit better, it'll replace the vanilla algorithm in Milestone 7.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2021
Review, version 5.1

Going through some recent demos and chronicling my thoughts as I go. Today, Pokecurse BloodRed Version! Right from the get-go, I can tell that a lot of love has gone into this. The "cursed cartridge" angle is kind of stale, but it doesn't look overly cheesy and there appears to be a solid, actual game in here. Time to dive in and get cursed.

What follows is a lengthy text-based Let's Play of sorts, so allow me to bundle it up like so:

Spoiler:

And that was my experience!

This game was a blast when it finally got going, but man, did it take a while to get going. It wasn't excruciatingly long, but it was a copy of a game that I've played many times before, except with even less to do along the way and no hint of when things would finally get interesting. The actual game had excitement, puzzles, atmosphere, exploration. In the buildup, there was nothing to do but grind.

I have mixed feelings about the difficulty. It slowly started to dawn on me that I was really down a Pokemon center and had to rely entirely on items, which successfully created a looming tension that was abolutely perfect for the game. The rules have changed and the stakes have been raised. Not being willing to waste PP led to me endlessly fleeing from most battles, though this meant that I was underpowered when I reached the boss, in a game where being underpowered is a very bad thing. I don't know if I'd want to play the entire game this way; I'm just not hardcore enough for a permadeath no-healing game. For the short while that I was here, though, it was very effective.

Pros:
-Fantastic atmosphere and story.
-Beautiful art.

Cons:
-Very slow start.
-Broken and unfinished maps.
-Multiple spelling and grammatical errors.

Last edited:

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
ROAD TO CELADON update has been released!
Milestone 7
Milestone 7 is semi-compatible with Milestone 5
This means that you can use the same savefile you have in Milestone 5, but you might miss some stuff that has some importance, but it's not vital for the game progress.

You can download it from here.

You may also download the demo from the first post.

New features

• The NECRA BALLs have been fully implemented, but as of now there is no way of obtaining them. They will become available in the next update (NECRA BALL Update). We apologize for the inconveniences.
  • The third TORTURED SOUL has been revealed.
    Spoiler:
  • GHOUL POKéMON won't be able to be caught using regular BALLS.
  • The FOUR TORTURED SOULS will throw any BALL back at your POKéMON, hurting it. When this happens, you'll recover the BALL.
  • Rock Tunnel, Routes 5, 8, 9, 10, the Power Plant, Saffron City and Celadon City are now available to explore.
  • A brand new section of the Rock Tunnel, the Cobalt Mines, can be explored.
  • 19 new GHOUL POKéMON have been added.
  • New Trainer and Wild Pokémon battle theme while inside the Realm. The old ones are still used.
  • The last room of the Mysterious House can be opened now.
  • Running Shoes can become obtainable if you start a new game.
  • A new feature involving CURSEDONE is now available.
  • Updated to Essentials version 16.2.
  • Many, many bug fixes.

Bugs and crashes

• The party menu breaks when switching POKéMON. The POKéMON slots will move out, but will not return.
  • While exploring the Celadon Department Store, crashes may (although rarely) occur. This is related to a currently unresolved bug regarding an update in the sound engine.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 18, 2019
hey buddy let me know when you get mirror, drop box stops 25% twice.... not a good look bro....is this part of the scary lol

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
hey buddy let me know when you get mirror, drop box stops 25% twice.... not a good look bro....is this part of the scary lol

I've already placed the mirror links at the first post! I'm also editing it to add information about how to reset saves to enjoy all the content of this release.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 10, 2023
Is every PC broken? Am i only going to be able to play with 6 pokemon?

How do you get the running shoes? I just started my first try but I couldnt find it.

Last edited:

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
Finally I can get some time to reply to your comments!

Dang, I really love the concept of this game. Seems to be inspired by Pokemon cursed version. Can't wait! good luck!

Thank you! I actually took some bits of inspiration from Cursed Version with the Soul mechanics.

This game was a blast when it finally got going, but man, did it take a while to get going. It wasn't excruciatingly long, but it was a copy of a game that I've played many times before, except with even less to do along the way and no hint of when things would finally get interesting. The actual game had excitement, puzzles, atmosphere, exploration. In the buildup, there was nothing to do but grind.

I have mixed feelings about the difficulty. It slowly started to dawn on me that I was really down a Pokemon center and had to rely entirely on items, which successfully created a looming tension that was abolutely perfect for the game. The rules have changed and the stakes have been raised. Not being willing to waste PP led to me endlessly fleeing from most battles, though this meant that I was underpowered when I reached the boss, in a game where being underpowered is a very bad thing. I don't know if I'd want to play the entire game this way; I'm just not hardcore enough for a permadeath no-healing game. For the short while that I was here, though, it was very effective.

Pros:
-Fantastic atmosphere and story.
-Beautiful art.

Cons:
-Very slow start.
-Broken and unfinished maps.
-Multiple spelling and grammatical errors.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I'll make a more lengthy reply to your review later.

Is every PC broken? Am i only going to be able to play with 6 pokemon?

How do you get the running shoes? I just started my first try but I couldnt find it.

Yes, every PC will not work for the entirety of the game. You can only hold up to 6 Pokémon at all times. I've been thinking of a way to 'make up space' for more Pokémon, but as of now I don't know when you'll be able to do so.

The running shoes is a mandatory item, but you get it much later than in the original FRLG games. You'll get them when when you're about to leave Cerulean City.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 10, 2023
I dont know if I will get that far to get them but good to know. I have to say you do seem to have made a certain good amount of a spooky undertone in the game. I only have my starter so far but I'm at mt moon.

One question, in viridian forest....
The last guy in the forest on the way to pewter, was i suppose to understand what gray statues he talks about or is it a reference to something? The other two trainers had me a bit spooked....

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
ROAD TO CELADON hotfix patch 1
A Milestone 7 Patch
This patch is compatible with Milestone 7
This means that you can use the same savefile you have in Milestone 7 with no issues regarding story progress.

You may also download the patch from the first post.

Bug fixes

This hotfix patches a recurrent crash near the end of the story in Milestone 7.

Other news

From Milestone 8, Pokécurse will change to a modular format. There will be a standalone game (Milestone 7), and further updates will be released separately, to be applied into the folder with the standalone game.

Development of Milestone 8 is currently on hiatus until November, when more information about the update will be revealed, but it's expected to be released in December.

Replies to other users here:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
NECRA UPDATE is finally here!
Alpha 0.8
This update is compatible with Milestone 7
This means that you can use the same savefile you have in Milestone 7 with no issues regarding story progress.

NOTE: This is not a standalone update. It requires the base version to work.

You may also download the patch and the base game at the first post.

New features

• NECRA BALLs are now obtainable.
  • The Celadon Department Store and Silph Co. are now accessible.
  • The third TORTURED SOUL can now be dealt with.
  • Animated cutscenes (this may require starting a new savefile)
  • Hidden BURNED mode is now officially active, but not fully implemented.

Bug fixes

• Ultimately fixed the crash related to the new sound engine.
  • Fixed anomalous behavior of the rival at the second battle.
  • Fixed the party menu displaying incorrectly when swapping between POKéMON.
  • Corrected some typos and story inconsistencies.
  • The Castilian Spanish translation is dropped in this version, but will be revamped in future versions.

Bugs and crashes

• Even though GHOUL POKéMON are programmed to have evolutions, it crashes the game when trying to evolve.

You heard that right: Yes, we've officially hit the alpha stage of development! Sorry about the long wait.

Last edited:

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
A VERY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

I'm sorry about the triple post, thread bump, and/or any post spamming of the sort, but I have an extremely important announcement related to the development of Pokécurse: BloodRed.

This thread has been the main distribution channel for Pokécurse since it's been published, and it's clear that it's becoming very inactive, and this is quite troublesome.

Pokécurse: BloodRed is a personal side project that's been developed for about a year now, but it wasn't until half a year ago when it launched, and started being supported by the community. As of today, it has reached an overall 50% of it's development. But even so Pokécurse does not have the priority of being developed compared to my game development team's main project. Therefore, if people lose interest in Pokécurse, its development will start to stall. At worst, it may be paused indefinitely.

I understand that Pokécurse: BloodRed isn't a game of their like for most of the people that hang around here. That is why I'm considering of making a more "family-friendly" version, designed towards the average user. This version would have some censored contents to make it less gruesome, but the main story would remain the same.

Another thing that I had in consideration was to make posts on a regular basis (2 weeks or so) in which I'd include any kind of updates, even if they are minor, to make the thread more active and provide an image that the game is being actively developed. However, bumping the thread too many times seems to be frowned upon. Plus, due to the fact that we're mainly focused on our main project, these update posts may come late.

EDIT: It's a little bit too soon to ask the moderators to move the thread to the Games Showcase.

My intention with this post is to get you informed about the status of Pokécurse, and discuss about its future. I think that even those who haven't played the game just yet should have the right to express their first impressions about the game and share their opinions on what would they expect about it, too.

I'm really looking forward at least to finish Pokécurse: BloodRed, especially with the amazing feedback I got from this community, but at this moment it'll be very hard without any support from you guys. If all goes well, the development will quickly recover.

Thank you for reading this, even if you aren't interested.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 18, 2019
hey its been awhile since I played , but it was a blast to play I loved the hondour house. and the rain with empty lake, genioues . very very creative.. yeah seems fan games get less views then gba rom hacks. what ya gonna do right. I do look forward to the next beta....okay Stephen king of pokemon...... keep it up. ps pokemon fan house in vermillion a bunch of pokemon cannibal trainers be great hahaha

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
Hey, everyone!
Although I haven't gotten a lot of support here, I have received half-a-dozen of encouragement messages across other communities.

Despite in all honesty not being what I expected, I've decided to continue the development of Pokécurse for now, and try to post updates on a 10-15 day basis. Depending on the overall interest and support, and how focused I am with our main project, the updates may come earlier or later.

With all that said, update time!

March 24th Update
  • Right now, I'm mostly focused in part of the Fourth TORTURED SOUL's confrontation. It's probably going to be the hardest part of the game to "dump", and one of the most complex things I've ever done, but it's going to end up being something amazing once it's completed and fully working. As a teaser: "I want to play a game."
  • I've also started planning to add a ton of tweaks to GHOUL POKéMON. However, I doubt they won't be ready for the next update, since I need to figure out how to make it backwards compatible with other updates.
  • The next update, "Nightmare Fuel Update", will have a lot of nuanced gameplay extras that I've been eager to add for a long while.
  • Nightmare Fuel Update will also include a way to make up space for new Pokémon if your party is full.
  • Started mapping Vermilion City, but it's not in a presentable state as of now.
  • Making a Pokécurse: BloodRed - Family Friendly version is still under consideration.

zVbJ9Al.png

Back