Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:27 PM).
4 million years

Nature: Hasty
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
    Why? He has like 40 different species of Pokemon in storage already at Oak's place that he doesn't do anything with except during certain Leagues (the last time being in DP 8 freaking years ago), and even then not all of them get to battle. So how would him catching every single Pokemon be beneficial when all it would lead to is him having 800+ neglected Pokemon that we would only see approximately once every half decade at best?
    Well catching all the pokemon is kinda one of the major points of the series, but out of all of them he only has a few, like you said. He certainly isn't going to be beating any leagues any time soon, so they might as well give him some actual goal instead of just do the same thing 20 different times in 20 different regions...
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:39 AM).
    Pokémon Master

Nature: Quiet
      I think the fact that Ash is forever a child is irritating because you never see Ash really develop anymore. You see him grow and mature until around the Advanced series, then he just kind of stays the same.

It also doesn't help that Pikachu's level seemingly resets with every generation and Ash has trouble battling rookie trainers. There needs to be continuity. Would the Ash from the Johto league/Orange league really lose so easily to someone like Paul when he just started out?
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (4:21 AM).

Dunno, maybe let him mature?
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:08 AM).
        Canine pokemon fan

Nature: Gentle
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by X4vv View Post
          Dunno, maybe let him mature?
          I think he already is, as XY alt Ash acts like original anime Ash

Original nick - BH
          Name - Bartek
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:50 PM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Quiji.
          All I Want For Xmas

Quote:
            Originally Posted by tigertron View Post
            It also doesn't help that Pikachu's level seemingly resets with every generation and Ash has trouble battling rookie trainers.
            Pikachu's resets are needed, though. If he had kept a steady growth and power level from OS until now with no downgrades, he'd end up one-shotting practically all his opponents, which would be ridiculous from a writing standpoint since his matches would become anti-climactic and predictable.

The only alternatives to resetting him that I could see would be: a) having Ash use him less and only against extremely tough opponents; but this would be somewhat counterproductive in a way given that Pikachu's the mascot and therefore needs to battle regularly, or b) introduce power creep and put Ash's opponent's Pokemon in each new region on the same skill level as his Pikachu or stronger, although this would backfire on Ash's new Pokemon since they'd be way weaker than Pikachu at the beginning, so they'd have to train even harder to catch up.
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:10 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Entei Fan View Post
              I doubt that, Gary/Shigeru is bassicly Green/Blue and we ALL know how he acts

Sure he helps pokemon in generation 4 but he's bassicly android saga Vegeta, a selfish prick

Even Silver learned that hurting pokemon is wrong despite being Sasaki's son
              Yeah, I'm doubtful Gary would qualify as the Vegeta of any saga, let alone the Android saga (actually, come to think of it, none of Ash's rivals would have qualified for one good reason: None of them sought to prove their superiority to Ash due to a chip on their shoulder from being beaten. Actually, ironically enough, Ash himself matched Vegeta in that regard). Besides, Gary never ditched his Pokémon when showing either any weakness from losing or, heck, if it had a poor performance overall DESPITE winning, while Paul was rather notorious for doing that with his Pokémon. Actually, if Paul was comparable to ANY trainer, it was Damian, aka, Ash's Charizard's ex-owner who deceived it into getting itself killed in a rainstorm.
              Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:30 AM).
              Thanks for the pretty av Rainbow x3;

Nature: Sassy
              Ash should confess that he like's Dawn in some point in the anime.

Pearlshipping should be made 100% official 'cuz pearlshippers are awesome people :D

I didn't make this but its wonderful and beautiful :3 x3

Hiyo, i'm Jirachu~<3 Kawaii Pikachu and Jirachi cross, though now my favorite Pokemon character is Korrina; and I crush HARD on her lemme tell ya lol :3
              Jackster is a good friend of mine on this forum so be nice to him please.
              I wanna make other good friends here too ^_^
              Being girly is wonderful!!!!! :D

Kimi is my big sister and i'm a pokemon fan 4 life :3
              http://thekorrinafanklub.proboards.com/
              Please join my forum :D
              Old 3 Weeks Ago (1:40 PM).

Nature: Calm
                Quote:
                Pikachu's resets are needed, though. If he had kept a steady growth and power level from OS until now with no downgrades, he'd end up one-shotting practically all his opponents, which would be ridiculous from a writing standpoint since his matches would become anti-climactic and predictable.
                While I somewhat agree with this, it still seems completely ridiculous to lose to an inexperienced Snivy.

Yeah, I take every chance I get to vent about that.
                Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:20 PM).
                Pokémon World Champion

Nature: Naughty
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by RickGrimes View Post
                  While I somewhat agree with this, it still seems completely ridiculous to lose to an inexperienced Snivy.

Yeah, I take every chance I get to vent about that.
                  Except Snivy wasn't inexperienced, as it already knew Leaf Tornado and had already evolved the next time Ash met it a few days later

"But Pikachu should've defeated it anyway!"

Sure, except without its electricity, it had no stamina and by the end of the battle was visibly panting and sweating

"But it still knew Iron Tail and Quick Attack!"

See previous statement about zero stamina
                  Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:46 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by weedle_mchairybug.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Twilight-kun View Post
                    Except Snivy wasn't inexperienced, as it already knew Leaf Tornado and had already evolved the next time Ash met it a few days later

"But Pikachu should've defeated it anyway!"

Sure, except without its electricity, it had no stamina and by the end of the battle was visibly panting and sweating

"But it still knew Iron Tail and Quick Attack!"

See previous statement about zero stamina
                    1. Ah, last I checked, Snivy alongside Trip were literally just starting out on their first journey at all, let alone together, when they fought (and beat) Ash for the first time, just exited the regional Pokémon Lab. That points to it being inexperienced, period. It knowing a high-level attack doesn't mean it's experienced. Or do I have to remind you of how Pikachu knew high-level attacks in the first episode even though it and Ash were explicit rookies. Now, maybe if he were like Paul and it's made clear that he was not from Unova, I'd at least roll with the idea that he was at least experienced enough to give Ash a hard time. But as it is, Trip and his Snivy were both inexperienced.

2. Since when does Iron Tail require stamina? Last I checked, that wasn't a move like, say Double Edge, where using the attack drains your own HP via recoil. Quick attack, I can sort of understand due to low stamina resulting in a loss of speed, and speed being essential for a move like Quick Attack, but Iron Tail definitely doesn't work like that, just results in a hardening of the tail to deal a heavy blow to the opponent, and it doesn't even need electricity either.

And quite frankly, I also consider it ridiculous that Ash's Pikachu would lose to two rookie Pokémon after beating a Regice single-handedly and with minimal effort, oh, and also a person who doesn't even DO Pokémon training anymore due to retiring to take over the family business. Slightly below the Snivy incident, but still pretty ridiculous.
                    Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:04 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Entei Fan.
                    Canine pokemon fan

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by LadyJirachu View Post
                      Ash should confess that he like's Dawn in some point in the anime.

Pearlshipping should be made 100% official 'cuz pearlshippers are awesome people :D
                      I prefer AshxMisty but AshxDawn works too, specially since she is voiced by Minnie's VA and previously by Twilight Sparkle's VA in the polish dub

Quote:
                      he'd end up one-shotting practically all his opponents
                      You meant that Ash's Pikachu isn't a weakling? O_o

Original nick - BH
                      Name - Bartek
                      Old 1 Week Ago (10:20 AM).
                      Canine pokemon fan

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                        Yeah, I'm doubtful Gary would qualify as the Vegeta of any saga, let alone the Android saga (actually, come to think of it, none of Ash's rivals would have qualified for one good reason: None of them sought to prove their superiority to Ash due to a chip on their shoulder from being beaten. Actually, ironically enough, Ash himself matched Vegeta in that regard)
                        OK i was kinda wrong, Red is no doubt Goku since he trains his pokemon to be number 1 and his good at heart, while Green/Blue is Vegeta since he's all cocky and tries to be number 1

Original nick - BH
                        Name - Bartek
                        Old 1 Week Ago (2:38 PM).
                        All I Want For Xmas

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Alloute View Post
                          I don't get why the Snivy argument is still used, as if fans hadn't learned by BW that Pikachu gets weaker at the beginning of each new saga naturally. Zekrom coming in was just the cherry on top that helped seal Pikachu's loss against Snivy, but Pikachu would've lost even without that extra handicap thanks to PLOT.
                          This. If anything, Zekrom's meddling made Ash's loss less ridiculous than it could've been had Pikachu lost to Snivy at full power.
                          Old 1 Week Ago (8:15 PM).

Quote:
                            This. If anything, Zekrom's meddling made Ash's loss less ridiculous than it could've been had Pikachu lost to Snivy at full power.
                            Eh, not really. Yes, Zekrom basically draining Pikachu of its electric attacks was a factor, but you're forgetting that he had access to two attacks that didn't even require electricity to use, such as Quick Attack and especially Iron Tail, any one of those would have been enough to take down Snivy.
                            Old 11 Hours Ago (4:16 AM).

I've had trouble with this perception, and literally everything I could come up with wasn't so much improving the character as it was wrapping up his loose ends because I felt like they took him as far as he could go short of an actual ending to his story.

Granted, there are the new films in a separate continuity as well; I haven't seen them yet, but maybe they're shaping the character in their own way. Probably was the way to go about it; start from scratch if he must be kept.

Quick Reply