• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Competitive] Magic Room Set-Up

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 1, 2021
Hello all!

I would like to focus on a team that is around the move Magic Room. So far, I have the room setter, Oranguru, but I would like to build some teammates around him to capitalize on this unique move.

Oranguru @ Item?
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp. Def/4 Sp. Att
Calm
- Magic Room
- Psychic
- Protect
- Calm Mind

I'm open to suggestions!

Thank you :)

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
Years
Hello all!

I would like to focus on a team that is around the move Magic Room. So far, I have the room setter, Oranguru, but I would like to build some teammates around him to capitalize on this unique move.

Oranguru @ Item?
Calm
- Magic Room
- Psychic
- Protect
- Calm Mind

I'm open to suggestions!

Do you mean magic room or trick room? Because magic room is a bad move. Which ladder/tier?

A nice core in the lower doubles tier is Oranguru, Torkoal, and Lilligant. Lead with Oranguru and Torkoal, use trick room and protect torkoal then instruct on Torkoal and use eruption. You could also lead Lilligant and Torkoal. Use after you on Torkoal. Torkoal will move right after Lilligant so use eruption on your foes. Lilligant gets a speed boost in the sun with it's ability Chlorophyll.

Oranguru @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 20 SpA / 92 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Instruct
- Protect

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 152 HP / 248 SpA / 108 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower/Rock Slide/Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Lilligant @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- After You
- Protect

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 1, 2021
Do you mean magic room or trick room? Because magic room is a bad move. Which ladder/tier?

A nice core in the lower doubles tier is Oranguru, Torkoal, and Lilligant. Lead with Oranguru and Torkoal, use trick room and protect torkoal then instruct on Torkoal and use eruption. You could also lead Lilligant and Torkoal. Use after you on Torkoal. Torkoal will move right after Lilligant so use eruption on your foes. Lilligant gets a speed boost in the sun with it's ability Chlorophyll.

Oranguru @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 20 SpA / 92 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Instruct
- Protect

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 152 HP / 248 SpA / 108 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower/Rock Slide/Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Lilligant @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- After You
- Protect

I understand, but I would like to try something new and see how it can be improved upon. I've thought of using a screen setter and run with a Kartana who doesn't need to rely on an item to attack non-resistant types while minimizing the damage on my end.

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
Years
I understand, but I would like to try something new and see how it can be improved upon. I've thought of using a screen setter and run with a Kartana who doesn't need to rely on an item to attack non-resistant types while minimizing the damage on my end.

Good on you for wanting to try something new.

If you're thinking about using Kartana as the focal point of your team, may I suggest bringing rain or putting Kartana on a rain team to help with it's 4x weakness to fire.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
I second Squirtlenator's thoughts that it's cool you are looking to try something new, but as stated Magic Room is really not a viable strategy in any format. Moves like Knock Off, Corrosive Gas or Trick/Switcheroo are considerably better options to ensure that the impacts of losing an item are maintained throughout a match. There are tons of viable users of these moves, both offensive and defensive, and I would be happy to recommend some if you decide to go that route.

Years
Hello all!

Oranguru @ Item?
Calm
- Magic Room
- Psychic
- Protect
- Calm Mind

I'm open to suggestions!

Great to see you're interested in using such an unusual move!

As Squirtlenator and Mobile Tsk said, this strategy is not easy to use, or to think of how to use, compared to other, more popular strategies (which are popular because they're relatively easy to play well with). This doesn't mean it's necessarily bad or that you can't make it work, just that it's not straightforward.

I assume the format you want to battle in is a Doubles format? Just regular VGC Doubles for starters maybe?

First, I suggest you check out these three threads on the VGC Reddit where they discuss some ideas and teams for Magic Room. And keep in mind, your entire team doesn't have to revolve around Magic Room. Just one "mode" of it finding some nice use for it is great to begin with.

Let's consider what Magic Room does exactly:
  • Magic Room lasts for 5 turns and turns off all items
  • it overwrites Trick Room, and is overwritten by it
  • it has priority 0 (unlike TR, which has priority -7)

My first observation would be that Magic Room is abuseable by Prankster Pokémon (of which Meowstic and Klefki learn it) and makes it easy for them to shut down Trick Room. Additionally, Trick Room teams love using powerful items as integral parts of their strategy - Life Orb, Eviolite, Weakness Policy, Assault Vest - which makes Magic Room inconvenient for them.
So, one potentially effective way to use Magic Room could be an anti-TR lead: a Magic Room setter/supporter partnered with a fast attacker. Consider this:
Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
(some bulky spread)
- Magic Room
- Light Screen and/or Reflect
-(other moves)

This Klefki would work well with a medium-to-fast, bulky offensive partner against an obvious TR lead. For instance, turn 1, Klefki puts up Reflect or Light Screen, depending on what seems more immediately threatening, the partner attacks or sets up more, and the opponent gets off Trick Room.
First thing next turn, Prankster Magic Room overrides it. This is very unexpected, and while Klefki is in battle it can shut down TR every time before the opponent can do anything with it, giving you control.

That's what I can think of right now - hope it helps with ideas!

Back