• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My almost completed team. Taking Suggestions!

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2012
[Gen IV] My almost completed team. Taking Suggestions!

Note: A few posts down I have another team that I'm looking for feedback on.

I'm very new to wifi battling, and just put this team together. I look forward to hearing your constructive criticism.

Swampert (Male) @ Leftovers
Torrent
EV's unknown
Stats: HP 399/Atk 350/Def 211/SpA 185/SpD 216/Spe 136
Adamant (+ Atk, - SpA)
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Avalanche
- Earthquake

The goal of Swampert is to be a physical attacker who can set up Stealth Rock at the beginning of the battle.

NOTE: ^ This pokemon is probably going to be replaced by something else.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Download
EV's unknown
Stats: HP 311/Atk 173/Def 169/SpA 400/SpD 186/Spe 279
Modest (+ SpA, - Atk)
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Porygon-Z's purpose is to be an incredibly strong Special Attacker, with a wide variety of move types.

Electivire (Male) @ Expert Belt
Motor Drive
EV's unknown
Stats: HP 291/Atk 372/Def 139/SpA 198/SpD 175/Spe 289
Adamant (+ Atk, - SpA)
- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch
- Cross Chop
- Earthquake

I think the goal I had in mind for Electivire is to be a strong physical attacker and use a wide variety of move types so Expert Belt's effects can be seen more often.

Dusknoir (Female) @ Leftovers
Pressure
EV's unknown
Stats: HP 291/Atk 222/Def 331/SpA 164/SpD 332/Spe 113
Lax (+ Def, - SpD)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Punch
- Trick Room
- Pain Split

Trick Room allows the use of slower but still powerful pokemon, like the Tyranitar below.

Tyranitar (Female) @ Choice Band
Sand Stream
EV's unknown
Stats: HP 402/Atk 403/Def 245/SpA 175/SpD 223/Spe 142
Adamant (+ Atk, - SpA)
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance (this needs to be changed -- but with what?)
- Earthquake

Fairly bulky Physical Sweeper, possibly used after Trick Room Dusknoir.

That's my team, please offer me constructive criticism, I'm always looking for improvements. thanks!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
All of these suggestions are assuming Gen V. If this is a Gen IV team, sorry for not realizing that.

I agree with replacing Swampert. Ferrothorn is more appropriate for getting hazards up because of its good defensive typing and high defenses:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Protect
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers

While Porygon-Z has its merits in OU, it's not good enough there because of its weakness to Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave (both moves frequently come from Conkeldurr, Breloom and Lucario respectively). Alakazam or Volcarona can replace it. Both have the same Special Attack, but are faster:

Alakazam:
-Substitute/Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard

Volcarona:
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power (Ground/Rock)
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

or
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Rest
Nature: Modest
EVs: 160 HP/252 SAtk/96 Spe
Item: Chesto Berry

If you're playing Gen V, replace Electivire's ThunderPunch with Wild Charge.

Lax is a terrible nature on Dusknoir. I don't think Trick Room would be a good fit, considering a fair few of your Pokemon are fast. It's better off with a standard defensive set:
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch/Shadow Sneak
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/28 Atk/228 Def

In that case, keep the DD Tyranitar set. It's actually pretty decent if you play it right.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Replace Dusknoir with Dusclops. Dusclops can take hits much better than Dusknoir with eviolite. I use Dusclops with all of my teams so I would recommend using it.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2012
All of these suggestions are assuming Gen V. If this is a Gen IV team, sorry for not realizing that.

I agree with replacing Swampert. Ferrothorn is more appropriate for getting hazards up because of its good defensive typing and high defenses:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Protect
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef

While Porygon-Z has its merits in OU, it's not good enough there because of its weakness to Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave (both moves frequently come from Conkeldurr, Breloom and Lucario respectively). Alakazam or Volcarona can replace it. Both have the same Special Attack, but are faster:

Alakazam:
-Substitute/Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard

Volcarona:
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power (Ground/Rock)
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

or
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Rest
Nature: Modest
EVs: 160 HP/252 SAtk/96 Spe
Item: Chesto Berry

If you're playing Gen V, replace Electivire's ThunderPunch with Wild Charge.

Lax is a terrible nature on Dusknoir. I don't think Trick Room would be a good fit, considering a fair few of your Pokemon are fast. It's better off with a standard defensive set:
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch/Shadow Sneak
EVs: 252 HP/28 Atk/228 Def

In that case, keep the DD Tyranitar set. It's actually pretty decent if you play it right.

Woops, should have been more specific this is Gen IV.

Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2013
T-wave on Porygon should be considered as it Porygon is a very effective user of T-wave.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
T-wave on Porygon should be considered as it Porygon is a very effective user of T-wave.

For Porygon2 yes, but Porygon-Z can't use it well because of its poor defenses.

Speaking of Porygon-Z, it's better off with Trick over Dark Pulse to screw over walls with its Choice item. BoltBeam coverage is already good when coupled with Tri-Attack.

Years
  • Age 27
  • N/A
  • Seen Mar 23, 2013
Honestly, I think you should go for Levitate Bronzong over Porygon-Z all together. He would make up for some of your team's lack of special defensive capacity, which really is only being compensated for by Dusknoir. Either that, or ditch Electivire, because more often than not, it's rendered useless by most opponents. (Which really bothers me, because I love the thing. xD) In place of it, you could try a Breloom with any sub-punch or Bulk Up set.

Sorry if this doesn't help at all. ^^; Just figured I'd get it out there.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: Def 255 / Sp. Def 255
~Hypnosis
~Toxic
~Protect
~Gyro Ball

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Honestly, I think you should go for Levitate Bronzong over Porygon-Z all together. He would make up for some of your team's lack of special defensive capacity, which really is only being compensated for by Dusknoir. Either that, or ditch Electivire, because more often than not, it's rendered useless by most opponents. (Which really bothers me, because I love the thing. xD) In place of it, you could try a Breloom with any sub-punch or Bulk Up set.

Sorry if this doesn't help at all. ^^; Just figured I'd get it out there.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: Def 255 / Sp. Def 255
~Hypnosis
~Toxic
~Protect
~Gyro Ball

While Bronzong does sound like a good replacement for Porygon-Z, the set and its EVs are out of place. First, you'll have to max out its HP followed by the defenses, and any offensive stats, if possible. It also has to have a Relaxed nature to make Gyro Ball hit harder. What I mean is seen here:
-Toxic
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Gyro Ball
-Payback
-Earthquake/Explosion/Hypnosis
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP/84 Atk/80 Def/92 SDef

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2012
OK, I decided to start from "semi-scratch". If you can give me feedback on this team as well I'd appreciate it. Some of the pokes are the same.

Smeargle @ Salac Berry
Own Tempo
EV's 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly (+ Spe, - SpA)
- Baton Pass
- Belly Drum
- Spore
- Substitute

Smeargle's goal here is to set up Metagross for a powerful physical sweep with Belly Drum and Baton Pass.

Metagross @ [Expert Belt or Choice Band?]
Clear Body
EV's unknown
Stats: HP 298/Atk 405/Def 265/SpA 225/SpD 214/Spe 239
Lonely (+ Atk, - Def)
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Bullet Punch

Metagross is my main Physical Sweeper. with the baton passed Belly Drum from Smeargle along with Choice Band (if I decide to use it) I calculated Metagross's attack to be well over 1000. That may be overkill though, I'm not sure.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Download
EV's unknown
Stats: HP 311/Atk 173/Def 169/SpA 400/SpD 186/Spe 279
Modest (+ SpA, - Atk)
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Porygon-Z's purpose is to be an incredibly strong Special Attacker, with a wide variety of move types.

Miltank (Female) @ Leftovers
Thick Fat
EV's unknown
Stats: HP 394/Atk 196/Def 332/SpA 98/SpD 157/Spe 244
Impish (+ Def, - SpA)
- Heal Bell
- Milk Drink
- Body Slam
- Stealth Rock

Miltank is my bulky cleric. with good Defence and HP and Heal Bell I find it to be a pretty good choice.

Gengar (Male) @ Life Orb
Levitate
EV's unknown
Stats: HP 254/Atk 149/Def 128/SpA 367/SpD 166/Spe 312
Rash (+ SpA, - SpD)
- Focus Blast
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball

This is my main Special Sweeper. While I also have Porygon-Z, Gengar isn't locked into a move and has more options. It will be able to last longer in battle.

Last pokemon - ??

I know I might get some criticism for the smeargle, but I just think it's really cool. :P

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I am taking it all into consideration.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
HUGE weakness to Fighting you got there, even with Gengar. Scizor also rips through this, even though Metagross can help tank its hits. A bulky Gyarados can help against both of these:
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spe

or
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Waterfall
-Roar
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

Years
  • Age 27
  • N/A
  • Seen Mar 23, 2013
^^A suggestion for that last missing pokemon:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Bold
Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP/ 216 Def/ 52 Spe
~Quiver Dance
~Fiery Dance
~Morning Sun
~Bug Buzz

This is another bulky fill-in to get rid of some of your fighting weakness. If you could get both PD's Gyarados idea and this on the team somewhere, you should be good to go. Just watch out for Stone Edge. (If you're at risk of that, Metagross should be a healthy switch-in to take the hit.)

Edit: It just occured to me that this is a gen IV team... Sorry. I can't really help there as I have no experience in the gen IV metagame. I guess this would be a good suggestion if you decide to take the team into gen V. xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2012
HUGE weakness to Fighting you got there, even with Gengar. Scizor also rips through this, even though Metagross can help tank its hits. A bulky Gyarados can help against both of these:
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spe

or
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Waterfall
-Roar
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll go with the latter moveset though.

Back