• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where did this Mew card come from?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 5, 2020
So I have this Japanese Pocket Monster Mew card. The only one I can find that looks exactly like it is from the Southern Islands set, and is numbered #151. It comes as a normal card, and a reverse holo.
Here's my problem. Mine is a FULL holo card, with hearts and starbursts in it. It's set symbol says "GYM" and it's number is #079. It also has no copyright on the bottom. Problem is, this Mew card is in neither the Gym Heros or Gym Challenger sets. Can anyone help me identify where this card came from, and/or if it is a misprint or a promo card of some sort? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20190419_173845.jpg
    20190419_173845.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190419_173900.jpg
    20190419_173900.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190419_173910.jpg
    20190419_173910.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190419_173955.jpg
    20190419_173955.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190419_173921.jpg
    20190419_173921.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 7
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Okay, maybe I'm just blind but I've been on the hunt for your specific card with those exact characteristics for about an hour and have come up with absolutely nothing. And I specialize in collecting cards from that era - but I've never seen anything like it.

I fear it may be counterfeit. :( But I will keep searching and if anything comes up I'll update this post ASAP!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 5, 2020
My problem exactly! I couldn't find anything either. I hope it's not a fake, but if it is oh well. It's a darn good job if it is counterfeit. But thank you for the feedback, I hope you can find some info on it, as I am still on the hunt as well.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
So I spent a bit more time looking for a replicate of your Mew card, and I was still able to come up with nothing. Not even stickers, off brand, eBay listings, or third-party prints have the Gym Challenges marking or heart holofoil. The only other distinguishing sign is that the bottom border is cut pretty tight but.. I really don't know what you have here.

What's the feel of the card? Does it flex (gently!) like a normal Pokémon card or is it loose and easy to bend? Do any of the corners want to peel up? Are you able to tell if the holofoil is printed above or below the text?

I'm still of the opinion that you've got a counterfeit or some of of sticker on your hands. Hopefully I'm missing something glaringly obvious and a better card connoisseur can come along to solve this mystery for you. Either way, I'd keep it for the novelty of it! You've got something pretty unique and even if it isn't a legitimate WoTC card, it's a neat find nonetheless! :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 5, 2020
So, I tried the things you said. The holofoil is underneath the wording. It was very flexible with a light bend, much more so than an average card. Then I gently felt the corner and BAM. IT'S A STICKER. and it had a silver backing to it that's sticky. I put it back in my cardsaver and now I'm going to search the web for some more info! Thank you so much for the tips and helping me to narrow this down!

Edit: I also lined up the left and bottom borders with another pocket monster card and this is the result I got.

Attachments

• 20190420_104132.jpg
    20190420_104132.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
No problem, friend! Glad we were able to solve the mystery! Sorry it was just a sticker and not the real deal but I promise the Southern Island sets are worth a buy should you come across some legit ones. They make an excellent addition to any collection. :) I'm happy it found a good home with you!

Last edited:
Years
It may actually be a sticker. There are quite a few "Japanese cards" like this that are actually stickers we got from sticker vending machines that are probably still *counterfeit* unlicensed merchandise overall.

I got a Grimer one off of my cousin when I bought his collection, myself.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
It may actually be a sticker. There are quite a few "Japanese cards" like this that are actually stickers we got from sticker vending machines that are probably still *counterfeit* unlicensed merchandise overall.

I got a Grimer one off of my cousin when I bought his collection, myself.

I was gonna say it's a vending machine sticker. Whether its "official" or not, it looks great, much higher quality than the knock of sticker cards we used to get in the UK

Back