• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite names for characters?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
What are your favorite names for your characters? Do you find it easier to name girls than boys or boys than girls? What kind of names do you prefer? Do you like typical ones or ones that no one has heard of?

Girls: Fiona, Sophia, Brianna, Jade, Ruby, Keira... the list goes on.
Boys: Alexander, Nixon, Kodiak,

I have an easier time with girls than I do with naming male characters. I tend to lean towards names that aren't heard as often as well.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Mhm I guess I try and chose more... atypical names? I don't have any favourites since I craft them all when making the character. But some of them have been original, or combining two names, stuff like that.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
Boys' names I just made up or chose for no reason in particular: Vragon, Ciecro, Jaron, Gathor, Garon, Vadlek, Berry, Kado, Xenon, Zak, Demetri, Devon and some others
Girls' names I just made up or chose for no reason in particular: Jasmine, Katherine, Freya, Dresha and some others

Boys' names I chose or created for reasons: Pathos, Chernon, Tyr, Azazel, Mephiles, Tron, Aegis, Nasch, Swift, Achim, Roark, Ahuizotl, Trishula, Plageues, Daemon, Baphomet and some others.
Girl's names I chose or created for reasons: Dolly, Rosa and some others

Typically boys than girls, though I wouldn't say naming girl's are difficult.

What names I prefer is well...complicated. I have some names I like, ones that I haven't shared here since I only am using Shattered Crests as an example but I really enjoy interesting and odd names (ex: Xavier, Wilbur, Ciel) and other names that have some meaning behind them, (Ex: Yui, Rook, Naomi) and just some I like making up (Perry, Spark, Vines, Emmet, Emel, IE) or just liked for no reason than hearing them (Adam, Patrick, Kamui, Declan)

Yeah, I like names.

Bay

Years
Girl names: Sandy, Charlotte, Josephine, Bunny
Boy names: Jacob, Iokua, Jean, Dirk, Finn

A lot of the names I more or less choose for no particular reasons and I tend to choose ones people are more familiar with. Lately I've been only using Western names save for a few instances like Iokua in Foul Play and Sandy's last name in Detroit After Human. So yeah, I plan to have more variety in names down the road.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Admittedly my names come from mostly anywhere so I can't really say I play favourites. I do have a bit of a preference, when naming human characters, to slightly use slightly altered names referencing other franchises.

darkmaster006 said:
Mhm I guess I try and chose more... atypical names? I don't have any favourites since I craft them all when making the character.
What, you mean you don't have an already allocated bin of hundreds of names ready to take-one-off and use at your leisure? :p

But I do find interesting that some people have the names ready "before" and others do so "after", I wonder how much of that is the names themselves and how much of that us feeling that we "know" our characters enough to just happen to have a fitting name for them.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
I used to put a lot of thought into names and try to pick more unusual things that would like have meaning for the character. So like for example naming a character Violet and she was a gardener, etc. Nowadays I mostly just randomly generate them using Behind the Names or just use whatever name feels right. It's more fun and easier on me.

The one exception is I really like the name Sloane because it's fairly unique and means warrior, but I tend to refrain from using it because it's my name so it feels weird to use it for a character.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I used to put a lot of thought into names and try to pick more unusual things that would like have meaning for the character. So like for example naming a character Violet and she was a gardener, etc. Nowadays I mostly just randomly generate them using Behind the Names or just use whatever name feels right. It's more fun and easier on me.

The one exception is I really like the name Sloane because it's fairly unique and means warrior, but I tend to refrain from using it because it's my name so it feels weird to use it for a character.

Yeah... I used to be the same. Nowadays, I've become lazy and such because I don't feel like putting effort into a good name. So, it causes me to reuse a lot of the same ones. I do have moments when I'll go on a hunt for cute or unique names and such, but it hasn't been a constant thing. Also, yeah... I'm that way too. I don't like using friends' or family names or anything. If it's from a TV show or movie maybe, it's usually okay for me to use it. I also hate using my own name as well. It's just so awkward.

Back