• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can we get a solution for Essentials / RPG Maker running poorly in W10?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2018
Hey guys, hope you don't take the title as a threat or something, my idea is to gather all the information we can to finally solve this problem for good.

Let's see, while testing the game I'm developing I noticed that there was some screen tearing while playing. I edited a lot so I thought maybe I screw something up, but nope, tested it again in vanilla Essentials, nothing changed, same thing happens, then I started testing everything and yes, there is some frameskipping in battle, even when trying the summary of one of my mons I noticed some weird lag, and if I started pressing buttons like crazy it seemed like only half of them where registered at all.

So, I started digging around, and it seems it's a fairly common problem and not something specific to my computer (i7 4710hq, 8GB of Ram, GTX 860m by the way).

I found out that this is due to RPG Maker XP using DirectDraw, which completely changed the way it was handled since Windows 8, so, is not specifically an Essentials or RPG Maker XP problem.

Once I identified the problem I was certain I knew how to fix it, you'll see, there's a pretty known emulator that had the same Direct Draw problem and there was a fix for it! Just adding some specific file named ddraw.dll next to the exe completely fixed everything! No stuttering! No lag! 60 fps!

However... While it worked perfectly with the emulator, it doesn't seem to work at all with RPG Maker XP, I think it may be due to the file having to be specific for each program, or maybe I put it in the wrong folder, or who knows, so I tried a lot of ddraw files I found laying around but I don't think any worked, perhaps there was certain change, I think I noticed with one the screen tearing got less obnoxious but it didn't fixed it completely...

So, that's why I created this thread, had any of you ran into this problem and actually managed to fix it? Or ran into it but failed to fix it? Regardless. Would you like to share your notes?

While I was digging around I noticed a person posted this in 4chan's /vp/ Essentials thread, I know, I know, 4chan is not a trustworthy site, but maybe there's some true to it, I'll be pasting what that person said:

Code:
"I can make Essentials works at 60fps using the GPU and fixing the memory leaks that RGSS1 has, but I don't know if I should make this public..."

Ego13

hollow_ego
Years
Hm that sounds like an interesting fix. But for Essentials or RMXP to use that dll you would need to tell it to. So you'd need to find the place where directdraw is used/handled and tell it to use that new dll

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2018
Hm that sounds like an interesting fix. But for Essentials or RMXP to use that dll you would need to tell it to. So you'd need to find the place where directdraw is used/handled and tell it to use that new dll
Not really an expert in this topic, but I think I managed to get Essentials to load the ddraw file using:

Code:
DDrawFix = Win32API.new('./ddraw.dll', 'DDrawFix', 'pi', '') rescue nil

in class Bitmap after it loads rubyscreen.dll, I believe I notice some difference, however, the problem is still not fixed completely.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
I believe I notice some difference, however, the problem is still not fixed completely.

Tried it out myself and there was no difference in framerate whatsoever. A cool idea though, and perhaps it's just not being implemented correctly, who knows.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2018
Would you mind sharing the dll?
That way we can test it out as well
Here, this one is the one that fixes the emulator Kega Fusion, but I tested it working fine with Snes9X, Gens, and many others so it may work with other programs as well. I have doubts if I'm loading it right, so I haven't tried another one.

Back