• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Make your own starter trio!

tealeaves

Mudkip and Jirachi enthusiast.
Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen May 17, 2020
Magnemite vs Togepi vs Machop.

Steel beats Fairy. Fairy beats Fighting. Fighting beats Steel.
I had a hard time finding a good 3 evo Fairy pokemon. My other option was Ralts, but it's also Psychic from the start. Again, Togepi is the only one that becomes Flying in the end, so sadly they aren't all pure type.

On the topic of the three Dragon starters, I once played a fan game with those exact starters. I can't remember the name at all. I had chosen Gible, I do remember that because I had a hard time thinking which one would be the best choice.t

Years
Fighting / Psychic / Dark would be great. I feel like edgy rom hacks and fan games already incorporate this though, I might have to check.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 6, 2021
I'll give this fighting vs psychic vs dark thing a go while we are talking about it. These don't have perfect symmetry but are all 2 stage evolutions with evolution levels that are close:

1. Mienfoo, Elgyem, and Zorua(all Unova, ironically. This isn't a trio I'd love to see).

2. Drowzee, Mankey, and Poochyene

3. Spoink, Hariyama, and Nickit(another I'd love to see).

I'm having a hard time thinking of others at the moment, but it feels like there must be some combination I am missing. It's kind of interesting how hard it is to find purebreds dark types.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Did someone think about Poison, Grass, Ground already? It's perfectly balanced I think. Poison resists Grass but is beaten by Ground, Grass resists Ground and is beaten by Poison, Ground resists Poison and is beaten by Grass.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Three Dragons was my first thought when I saw this thread, but its already been considered so I'll add another suggestion:
Normal-type. All three of them. There could be a slight hint in colouration to this, but basically only in their final forms would they evolve to have as secondary types the classic Fire-Grass-Water triangle.
OR
One singular Normal-type starter that has three variants on its final evolution - Fire / Grass / Water - which could be determined in a unique way that may or may not give the player control, for example:
  • They reach their final form through stones; dependent on the Trainer ID, an NPC will gift a Fire, Water or Leaf Stone
  • If the 3 forms had drastically differing skill-sets, evolution could be linked to favourable personality
OR
In keeping with the duos idea someone brought up, as GameFreak appear to have abandoned the pattern that brought us Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum (probably for the best, although Platinum was needed just for the speed boost) there could be a choice of only two starters, again Normal-types, with different stat distributions but neither would learn any Fighting-type moves. They would both, again in their final evolution only, gain matching secondary types. I think there are two options for this:
  • Dragon - so they'd both have moves that were super-effective on each other.
  • Ghost - so they'd not be able to gain STAB against each other at all.
I think the latter would work well if your rival was the villain of the game. The idea that the starter Pokémon, whom they want to use to crush yours, can't touch it would be a nice irony. You could even have them show their true colours by abandoning their starter for your final battle, and facing you instead with a Dark-type to gain an edge.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 6, 2021
Hate to double post, but I thought of a couple:

1. Ekans, Sandshrew, and Shroomish. All evolve around the same level, all 2 stage evolutions.

I'd prob pick Sandshrew in this crew, though Shroomish isn't tempting.

2. Croagunk, Claydol, and Cacnea, all evolve around the same level and have double symmetry!

Croagunk- poison beats grass, fighting beats dark.

Claydol- Ground beats poison, Psychic beats fighting.

Cacnea- Grass beats ground, dark beats psychic.

I'd prob pick Croagunk in these 3.

Years
Nice one with the double symmetry!

I just thought of the perfect Dragon-type starter trio: Drampa, Turtonator, Druddigon.

Indeed:
  • they are green, red and blue, all sharing details of yellow
  • they are equally matched in strength, with the same base stat total of 485
  • they each have different battle styles: Druddigon is bulky and physically offensive, Drampa is bulky and specially offensive and Turtonator is physically defensive
  • they are all large and can be ridden in a cool way (only Turtonator can't fly, but that can be worked around by giving it a Turtonator-powered jetpack, or having it use its nose and chest cavity as jet engines)

Sure, they are a bit too strong for starters, but aren't Partner Pikachu and Eevee also freakishly powerful?

Last edited:
Back