• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen 8 Announcement, when should we expect it?

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Seeing as it's almost three years since the reveal of Pokémon Sun and Moon (doesn't seem that long does it?) and a generation has always lasted three years, when should we expect a reveal of Generation VIII?

My money is on February 27th (Pokémon Day) for the initial announcement of the next games in the series, with a possible look at the games.

Years
yes february 27th for me too. april at the latest and before middle february at the earliest. excited with what gamefreak has to show!!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
couldn't really guess a specific date, but they did say that they're going to put one out this year, so given how it's gone for the past few years, we can assume that the annoucement will be sometime with the next 2-3 months, with the games likely having a November 2019 release date

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Expect it sometime this year. And also have the lowest expectations possible and expect nothing. I mean the last few Pokemon games and their pre release info haven't exactly been GOTY hype

Years
Wouldn't be surprised if it's within the next month or two.

Maybe April at the absolute latest but announcing it during the summer for a winter release seems like a really odd thing that Game Freak would do, even though they've done it before with USUM.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
There's quite a fair scope of possibility here.

If anything is to go by, we'd expect an announcement to drop sometime around the end of next month. From what has been found, this generation was announced on the day of the 20th anniversary of the series, which is around the point that has been suspected. Last gen, however, was announced in early January, and that date has passed so it's unlikely. Funnily enough, if we keep going back generations, where Japan got a major staggered release compared to everyone else, BW was announced back in the summer, like with USUM, but over here it was announced in the winter, which again, has already passed.

So with that out of the way, I'm not surprised if they announce it next month, and as a lot of people have been saying here, sometime around February 27. I won't be surprised if they push the announcement into March and leave some kind of image to get us hyped up.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Gen 8 Announcement?

When do you guys think Game Freak will start releasing news about Generation 8?
I've been hearing a lot of people say in Spring. But that's just speculation.

With all the rumors floating around about the Gen 8 games names and region placement in the world, I really do hope it's soon...

Last edited:

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
We have to be getting close, unless they are also going to pull a Metroid Prime 4 on us.

Years
Between TPCi moving up certain promotion materials originally scheduled for later in the year into February and March, as well as a mystery figure reveal on February 27th at midnight (in a series that already contains Meltan), it wouldn't surprise me if we get something by the end of the month.

To be honest though, I would prefer if they held off on announcing anything until later in the year. The games themselves likely won't be out until the 15th or 22nd of November, so announcing anything in February will leave us waiting for 9 months to actually get our hands on it.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
OK, so I've been moseying around the Pokemon official Twitter page, and I believe I may have changed my mind over when the announcement will be. For starters, I doubt it's going to be in February.

So if you look at this official Twitter page, you'll probably no doubt have noticed that they've started running a "Pokemon Facts" series for what could be all (what are currently) 809 Pokemon in the National Pokedex. This started on January 14, and oddly enough they kept going past Blastoise. So if we take that into stride, Mew will no doubt be revealed on June 13, because that's 151 days after January 14. June 13 also just happens to be the last day of E3 2019, so I have a suspicious feeling that their Pokemon Facts series is their attempt of lowkey hyping us up for Gen 8.

In other words, I now expect the announcement to come in June.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
OK, so I've been moseying around the Pokemon official Twitter page, and I believe I may have changed my mind over when the announcement will be. For starters, I doubt it's going to be in February.

So if you look at this official Twitter page, you'll probably no doubt have noticed that they've started running a "Pokemon Facts" series for what could be all (what are currently) 809 Pokemon in the National Pokedex. This started on January 14, and oddly enough they kept going past Blastoise. So if we take that into stride, Mew will no doubt be revealed on June 13, because that's 151 days after January 14. June 13 also just happens to be the last day of E3 2019, so I have a suspicious feeling that their Pokemon Facts series is their attempt of lowkey hyping us up for Gen 8.

In other words, I now expect the announcement to come in June.
I don't think that they would announce the game at E3. June is too late to announce a new gen, plus GF likes announcing games in their own Pokemon Directs.

Back