• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Why so much dislike around the 5th gen?

Years
Most of the hate I see directed at this generation is at the Pokemon (Vanillite and Trubbish in particular cop it the worst) and the criticism that Unova is too linear.

I personally feel the one thing I hate with this generation is the scaled EXP system which made grinding take forever, and ever since it came back in 7th Gen I got horribly reminded of it because while 5th Gen had easy Audino training... 7th Gen didn't, and that's a bad thing.

Shanedmuir

Shane D.M.
Years
The Gen 5 games came out around the time I was in 6th or 7th grade, so they were honestly a big part of my late childhood. They are old enough to the point where I can consider them quite nostalgic to play. The story was memorable to me, and jam packed with moments that I will never forget. Aside from these two points, I also am very intrigued with the large number of new Pokemon that were added, and I liked that the games had animated sprites.

I feel almost as if the reason people hated Gen 5 was because it introduced a lot of new features and such. It possibly could have been a lot for players to handle. The menu theme also changed from previous games, so that could have been a turnoff.

Years
There wasn't any re-match gym leader battle and also trainning low leveled pokemon could been difficult in the later stages.

Remember that the low EXP gain of most wild Pokemon in Unova was balanced out by Audino that you could easily find in shaking grass and give out massive EXP. The main downside is all that Audino grinding will mess up your EVs by clogging it up with EV points for HP.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I didn't like the fact you couldn't get old pokemon, but they fixed that in the sequels

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I definitely don't have Gen V, but one thing I did think of a while ago is that, since the story is very packed in this generation, it might not feel like 'your' story and thus feel less personal. I think that's a legit critique to have as it may take away the player's feeling of involvement in the region and the story; maybe that's why people say they didn't like the story. Replaying Diamond for a bit made me see this.

Remember that the low EXP gain of most wild Pokemon in Unova was balanced out by Audino that you could easily find in shaking grass and give out massive EXP. The main downside is all that Audino grinding will mess up your EVs by clogging it up with EV points for HP.
I was wondering about the EVs Audino gives because I always use them for grinding (obviously), so thanks for the info!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
In many ways, Gen 5 has a lot in common with Gen 3. Both RS and BW alike aimed for a hard reboot feel, forcing you to mostly use new Pokémon and taking place in isolated, standalone regions that were completely disconnected from previous ones. Both gens introduced a large number of new Pokémon, many of which seemed oddly designed compared to previous gens and were obvious replacements for older Pokémon. RS and BW also went in radically different storytelling directions than the previous games, with RS being the first games to have a Legendary-focused plot and BW being the first to have a deep, extensive plot, period.

Anyone who was around back then knows that the Hoenn games used to be as widely hated as the Unova games are nowadays. Loads of people who grew up with RBY/GSC quit the series when RS came out, and there were many complaints about the strange new Pokémon, awkward regional design, and lack of old Pokémon. (Sound familiar?)

However, as time passed and the games started to age, they became more fondly regarded, and RSE are now seen as nostalgic classics in their own right. The same will probably also happen to the Unova games with time. Remember that B2W2 are a little less than 5 years old, the same age Emerald was at this point in 2009... and the late 00s were probably the very peak of the anti-RSE backlash.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
The fact that the moving sprites looked superbly weird, and them appearing in the midair getting out of the Pokeball (And there for that second or 2) really...

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
The fact that the moving sprites looked superbly weird, and them appearing in the midair getting out of the Pokeball (And there for that second or 2) really...

Oh yeah, the sprites... Especially if you transferred pokemon from HG/SS or D/P/Pt.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
Gen 5 coincided with the time I fell out of love with Pokémon for the most extensive period of my life. I was in secondary school now and was too embarrassed and ashamed to let anyone know that I still liked it. I think that's why for quite a prolonged period it was my least favorite in the series. I played the game completely blind - not knowing anything. It was so strange and I played through thinking Shelmet was a Water-type for the longest time (this is just an example, I thought Bisharp was Bug-type and there are many more). I thought some of the new Pokémon were just atrocious. An ice-cream Pokémon? Pffffft. Garbodor? So ugly!

That being said when I look back on the games now I'm so much more fond of them. It's probably the generation I've played through the least but I really have come around to enjoying the BW era of Pokémon.
The graphical style is probably my favourite of them all tbh. The music too is beautiful, N's room in the Team Plasma castle is still haunting but fantastic at the same time. Some of the Pokémon I hated at first glance too are now some of my favourites. Trubbish is fantastic, I love it and now I'm protective over the Vanillish line and Garbodor. Some Pokémon are just impossible to say they aren't awesome too: Darmanitan, Volcarona, Zoroark, Bisharp, Braviary... the list goes on!

I haven't even touched on the story! Undoubtedly the best in all of the Pokémon games for me. GYM LEADERS ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THE THREAT THAT IS ABOUT TO CHANGE THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT? WOW! Not to mention the sequels coming instead of the presumed Pokémon Grey.
It was fantastic and I love the games so much now.

I've seen a few very good posts in this thread giving very reasonable points to why the games come across as the fans least favourite but, for me at least, we should be able to overlook the negatives and see the positives!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 13, 2019
In many ways, Gen 5 has a lot in common with Gen 3. Both RS and BW alike aimed for a hard reboot feel, forcing you to mostly use new Pokémon and taking place in isolated, standalone regions that were completely disconnected from previous ones. Both gens introduced a large number of new Pokémon, many of which seemed oddly designed compared to previous gens and were obvious replacements for older Pokémon. RS and BW also went in radically different storytelling directions than the previous games, with RS being the first games to have a Legendary-focused plot and BW being the first to have a deep, extensive plot, period.

Anyone who was around back then knows that the Hoenn games used to be as widely hated as the Unova games are nowadays. Loads of people who grew up with RBY/GSC quit the series when RS came out, and there were many complaints about the strange new Pokémon, awkward regional design, and lack of old Pokémon. (Sound familiar?)

However, as time passed and the games started to age, they became more fondly regarded, and RSE are now seen as nostalgic classics in their own right. The same will probably also happen to the Unova games with time. Remember that B2W2 are a little less than 5 years old, the same age Emerald was at this point in 2009... and the late 00s were probably the very peak of the anti-RSE backlash.

Ruby and Sapphire was my least favorite Pokemon game, up until Black and White came out. I never hated gen 3 when it was new, I was just disappointed with how gen 3 turned out. But over time, as I played Ruby and Sapphire in 2009 and 2010, I started liking gen 3. To gen 3's credit, at least it still had some old Pokemon available in it.................unlike it's distant sequel from 2011.

Back