• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Desert Version - Alpha 0.2! (Second Gym Released!)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Pok?mon Desert Version - Alpha 0.2! (Second Gym Released!)

Pok?mon: Desert Version

Story

biggo.gif
Apologies if this comes across as jumbled... I've spent the past ten hours working on this alpha for y'all and am tired as almighty hell.

So the premise is: a Gastly comes to you in a nightmare (I'm gonna expand the script for it from what it is now to make it more engaging), then a Trapinch needs rescuing outside. Bam - starter Pok?mon. All the kids in your neighborhood also have new Pok?mon, so you battle all of them until eventually you decide to go into the main city. There, you meet immigrant Brendan from Hoenn. He tells you about the gym challenge and off you go!

There are a few threads going on story-wise:
1. Gym challenge w/ rivals (May, Brendan, Blue/TheDudeYouName
2. Team Rocket's Shenanigans
3. Cartels
4. California Secessionists

You can check out the town map at any point - it's already in there. There's four cities in California, two in Mexico, and a boatload in Arizona. I'm basing it off of my home area (SW USA)!

Please let me know if you find any errors or want to contribute in any way!

To support the hack, please give a listen to my Spotify! If you like it, would mean the world to me if you could follow on Spotify or share my music as well!

Spoiler:

Features

• New Tiles
  • New Story
  • All the advantages of Leon's Firered Base
  • More to come but I'll reveal as more alphas and betas come out :)

Next alpha plans:
    -4 Gyms
    -Fixed Bugs
    -700+ Pok?mon
    -New Tiles! Fixed pueblos at last!

Screenshots

brendan.png
cover21june.png
gastly.png
trapinch.png
road%20ahead%20construction.png
map.png
firstgymbrendan.png
whatisthat.png
all%20rivals.png
mesa.png
pika2.png

Yes, I know the title screen is fucked. I'll fix it.

Credits

• 777ID777 - All actual work on the ROM

Anthroyd - for helping me learn all the shit I never bothered to learn as a kid
    Diegoisawesome - oh my god you're amazing
    Lu-Ho - Obligatory
    Hackmew - all your shit
    Leon - base

I forget from where, but some of my tiles were totally images on Google that I indexed and recolored.

Two special ones for the oldies in the community...
    Linkandzelda (Liquid Crystal) - Being a great friend throughout the years, letting me disect Liquid Crystal as a complete noob, and hosting my websites for half a decade!
    Mewthree9000 (Chaos Black) - For being a great friend throughout the years, introducing me to the more complicated aspects of hacking, and for his incredible creativity. Also I probably still use some of his tools.

Bugs

Okay so if anybody can figure out why these are happening, I would LOVE the help!
  • cactus.png
  • When you get out of a wild encounter by the cut cactus, it turns you into a glitched cut cacti that's all sorts of fucked. I left a single wild patch by the cactus if you wanna find out what the error is.
  • -u.png
  • Empty moves look weird!
  • gastlytrapinchnickname.png
  • Nicknaming Trapinch nicknames Gastly... Super weird, eh?
  • mesa%20entrance.png
  • When you enter Mesa for the first time, sometimes the script with the rivals doesn't pop. I'm not sure why this is. If you keep running around the area it eventually pops. I'm very confused...
  • No photo - but whenever Clear Smog is used, the game crashes. So if anybody uses that move, please let me know so I can change the moveset! I'll try to fix the bug as well but it's a hard one :)
  • No photo as well - but Bulldoze doesn't actually hit two people like it says it does. I'll try to fix that as well!
Spoiler:

Download

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 9, 2022
Looks pretty good. Some minor things I noticed in the beginning-
- Oak makes fun of my name
- After getting Gastly, player says "Ishould" instead of "I should"
- Mom casually heals the new ghost I found
- You are prompted to name Gastly when getting Trapinch
- Gastly's two empty (?) moves show up as "-U" in battle
- The houses look disproportionately small from the outside. I mean, houses in Pokemon always do, but these look like 3 people couldn't fit inside.

Also, I'm curious to know what those starfish like things are supposed to be.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Looks pretty good. Some minor things I noticed in the beginning-
- Oak makes fun of my name
- After getting Gastly, player says "Ishould" instead of "I should"
- Mom casually heals the new ghost I found
- You are prompted to name Gastly when getting Trapinch
- Gastly's two empty (?) moves show up as "-U" in battle
- The houses look disproportionately small from the outside. I mean, houses in Pokemon always do, but these look like 3 people couldn't fit inside.

Also, I'm curious to know what those starfish like things are supposed to be.

Hey solidsmeagol! Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll go make an update 0.1.2 with these changes! Damn I was really tired making that Oak script...

I'm not sure how to edit the empty moves from -U.... I'll add to the buglist!

I'm pretty bad at tiles, those small houses are supposed to be pueblos, but... :shaking-head-no: Is there anyone on PC who can help with tiles?

The starfish things are supposed to be agave cacti, but as aforementioned I suck at tiles! lol
agave-parryi.JPG

Thanks a million man!

Last edited:
Years
After I got trapinch I opened the menu to see my pokemons but after exiting the menu I am stuck in place and only the camera is moving. (Am I the only one that hates the black and White pokemon summary and stuff?)

Also nice tiles they look amazing but as someone mentioned before the house looks way too small.

Years
On my tablet I tried to patch to both the Squirrels (1.0) and Independent (1.1) ROMs and they both gave me a white screen on My Boy!.

And if I press any buttons in the patched Independent ROM, the emulator freezes.

I downloaded the patch from the Dropbox link since your hosting service still says "account suspended".

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 9, 2022
On my tablet I tried to patch to both the Squirrels (1.0) and Independent (1.1) ROMs and they both gave me a white screen on My Boy!.

And if I press any buttons in the patched Independent ROM, the emulator freezes.

I downloaded the patch from the Dropbox link since your hosting service still says "account suspended".

The Squirrels one should work. On My Boy! try Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Cartridge Save Type -> Flash 128k

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Hey all!!! So sorry. I found out what the hosting issue is. So that y'all understand, I'll post it here:

I took a class at Vanderbilt University last semester in marketing. The professor was with a company called LBMC. Our final project was to create a marketing campaign for them - which included a mockup website that I coded and designed. I was contacted two days ago (months after the presentation!) that all my sites were taken down due to a copyright complaint by LBMC. I've been contacting members of the company and my hosting service - they're fixing the issue as we speak! Should be back up no later than Monday. I know that fucking sucks - but old heads only work for a few hours a day M-F unlike us youths.

I'm sorry for the delay - I promise a new update no later than Monday, though!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: h-how much longer :((((( im new here and this game sounds soooooo much fun.

Monday at the latest!

Thank you!

After I got trapinch I opened the menu to see my pokemons but after exiting the menu I am stuck in place and only the camera is moving. (Am I the only one that hates the black and White pokemon summary and stuff?)

Also nice tiles they look amazing but as someone mentioned before the house looks way too small.

Thanks for the Tile compliment! I'll try to update the pueblos for next update :)

Hm... Should be a 1.0 ROM (I'll put that in the description). I wish I could say "send me your ROM" but that isn't allowed... They can't see PMs but I'm NOT telling you to send me it there.

The Squirrels one should work. On My Boy! try Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Cartridge Save Type -> Flash 128k

Thank you so much! I hope that works for him. You're incredible.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
It's back up! :)

-Big update tomorrow! Would have had it today but it's 3AM and I can't figure out this damn script... Will over double the size of the current game!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Pok?mon: Desert Version | Alpha 0.2
biggo.gif

- Added second gym!
- First Rocket Hideout
- Introduced May and Blue, first Blue battle
- New City! (Mesa - Phoenix Suburb)
- New NPCs in Tucson
- A few hidden items
- Giveaway Mon! Can you find it?

- NEW BUGS - check the buglist
- I'm having a lot of trouble redoing the sprite for the main character and the pueblos. If anyone has graphic talent, I would LOVE the help!

Download

Last edited:

Vency

Doves In the Wind
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 30, 2019
So far it?s been really enjoyable to play. Keep up the good work!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
Looks interesting. I?m from California, so I like the inspiration. Is the region inspired by Southern California and Mexico, or is it literally supposed to be those areas?

ookamishadows

ookamishadows
Years
This has a lot of potential. I wish that you reach your goal to finish it in the allotted time. When the demo reaches 6 gyms, I will definitely play it. Until then I will peek in on your progress! Have fun! :)

Back