• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle?

Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2015
I personally tend to favour Squirtle, he was my first ever starter and will always have a place in my heart~! Though I did go through part of the game with charmander once, and that was a fun experience.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 31, 2015
Ah, a hard decision it can be. But I think Squirtle has most often been my favorite.

Years
I am all about Bulbasaur ^^ though I love all three. This is probably the only gen until X and Y that I truly love all three starters. That being said, I cannot stand the design of Blastoise, I really dislike the cannons. Always felt like one artist on the team was really pushing for a mech warrior in the line-up. Shame on that person.

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
I recall choosing squirtle because of ice beama nd water attacks XP.

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
Years
I usually choose Charmander since when it evolved to Charizard I can use fly so I can go to different cities, although Squirtle is usually my favorite out of the three.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I used to choose Squirtle and charmandar, but now I choose Bulbasaur because it fills the spot in my team for a grass type whereas I can choose anything else for fire and water. I had Red, Blue, Fire Red, and Leaf Green so I got to use everything. My favorite is Squirtle because it learns a lot of different moves and has the best chances of defeating the other starters in a 1 on 1 battle. Kanto starters are about my second or third favorite.

Years
My favourite starter is Squirtle, but I was always unsure about this. I liked Charmander too (Fire-type Pokémon are more my type).
Kanto starters are good. They were the first starter Pokémon and were great in a surprising sorta way.

Shitik

Generic Bio
Years
I chose Bulbasaur and Squirtle a few of my many times playing Fire Red or Leaf Green, but I usually choose Charmander because it seems like he gets the most exp out of the three and evolves into the beloved Charizard who I use for fly. Plus, I usually get like a Starmie or a Poliwrath to fill in for Squirtle, and a Vileplume for Bulbasaur. The only problem with Charizard is facing either your Rival or Lance. Tough times -_-

Years
As with most starters, I end up choosing different ones in different playthroughs, but with my newest playthrough of Leaf Green, which I started just over two weeks ago, I went with Bulbasaur. I'm glad I did because I find it's quite under-appreciated compared to the other two, and although it's Grass-type it still does good against quite a few of the opponents present (particularly at the beginning of the game).

poniko

gots a weasel
Years
charmander was my first choice because i used to think there weren't any other fire pokemons available, lol. if i'd to play kanto again bulbasaur would be my choice - all the other grass pokemons from gen 1 aren't as cool as the fire/water types in my opinion.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
In my very first playthrough of FireRed, I picked Charmander. In all of my following playthroughs, I picked Squirtle for most of them, and then recently in the past couple of years I've started to really appreciate Bulbasaur.

So, first one was Charmander, but right now my favorite is Bulbasaur, closely followed by Squirtle, and then Charmander!

KittiOcelotti

"Smell ya later!"
Years
I choose squirtle and ended up over leveling him because I would use him for every battle, even if he had a typing disadvantage. I swept through all the gym leaders in my fire game and the elite four. I had a very unbalanced team and had trouble leveling my other pokemon up (I didn't know anything about the exp. share in those days).

AND THAT IS WHY MY FAVOURITE POKEMON IS BLASTOISE.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I've played with all three, but my first starter in FireRed was FIREY the Charmander!

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I chose Squirtle, just as I did back in my original Red file. Blastoise is my favorite Pokemon, so I tend to pick Squirtle whenever it's available.

My friend and I started our games at the same time, and we reset one file over and over again to get spares of each of the starters, so I used all three when playing. The Kanto starters are probably my favorite starter trio overall.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I love their designs, on the competitive aspect I prefer Charmander's though. :(
I recall restarting and trading off the starters in order to get all the Kanto starter trio.

Years
In the brief moment I played Leaf Green a few years back, the chosen starter on the file was Squirtle, so I'd say Squirtle here. However if I was playing it myself I would have gone for Bulbasaur as well.

Back