• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ideal Battle Mechanic Changes for Gen 1 Balance

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 3, 2023
First post : ) (This site/community looks awesome and I am excited to be a part of it.)

I am planning a Gen 1 ROM Hack and have a rough design already. But am hesitant on what changes (if any) I should make to the battle mechanics. I don't want to make changes just for the sake of change. RBY is a holy grail for me and has its own simple charm (relative to later Generations). Therefore I want to keep the battle mechanic changes as minimal as possible to achieve the goal.

From a gameplay perspective the goal is to create decent balance improvements so the number of useful Pokemon during end game is a bit larger.

With that said here are the first thoughts for battle mechanic patching.

1. Fix Obvious Programming Bugs: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_battle_glitches_(Generation_I)

I'd consider addressing most of these. E.g. the Focus Energy bug, some integer overflow issues, Divide by Zero, etc.

Others I am a little more conflicted about. For example the ATK/DEF/SPECIAL boosts being ignored on Crits. I'm worried if I "fix" that I may break/unbalance the game even further....

2. Psychic Nerf

It seems pretty established Psychic is too OP this gen. The question is the most effective way to nerf and rebalance. Some ideas:

A. Introduce a few more powerful bug type moves. This would allow Pinsir/Scyther to become a more effective counter to Psychic I think?

B. Buff ghost. Dream Eater could be changed to ghost type and maybe add one more good ghost move? Also debating making Marowhak ghost/ground. It would fit with this story and also allows a non-poison ghost type to counter Alakazham and others. However I don't want ghost to become to OP instead....

C. Introduce Normal resistance to Psychic. I got this idea from the Pokemon cards (where normal resists Psychic). I am less confident in this change. Maybe this is too extreme a nerf?

D. Any other ideas appreciated. However I don't plant to add Dark type to this Gen

3. Make dragon more fun

Add a STAB move for Dragons. (Either change Dragon Rage or add another move). I am not sure if Dragonite needs the help but it "feels" right for every type to have STAB moves...

4. Partial Wrapping Patches

Based on https://www.smogon.com/rb/articles/rby_trapping "trapping" with wrap/bind/clamp/etc is a huge part of the meta in gen 1. It kind of sounds like Gen 1 players eventually made peace with it and it leads to a lot of swapping out of Pokemon. Would the game be more "fun" and have more depth if trapping behaved more like later gens. My understanding is later gens changed this by having traps prevent pokemon swap they can still use moves when trapped. I really don't know what's best here...

Thanks for reading! Any feedback is appreciated!

-banty

Last edited:
Back