• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
Since when do we do RPAs anyway?

Anyways, new idea: Pokémon x Skyrim crossover.

Spoiler:

Years
Why don't you just eliminate humans and have the Pokemon take center stage, even being able to learn magic? I'll admit seeing a Weavile toss an enchantment spell would be pretty neat.

Last edited:

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023
So, I recently watching the music videos for NA NA NA and Sing by My Chemical Romance and I honestly think they have a good concept. Go to youtube for the video's but here the story.

The year is 2019 and the world has gone into a post-apocalyptic era due to some catastrophic event around 2012. There is a new form of Government forming and based in California known as Better Living Ind. (BL/Ind.) who are trying to make a perfect people by making them Draculoids, people who are almost zombies and can't think for themselves. They are led by their leader Korse, also known as the Scarecrow.

On the upside, their is a small band of outlaws known only as The Killjoys. They are the rebels fighting against the Ind. to keep their own free will as well as save others. They are led by the pirate radio DJ only known by the name of Dr. Death Defying and they are on the sole mission to overthrow BL/ Ind. and save the world.

Honestly, I think this story could bent and used in so many ways to make a RP of.

So what are your opinions? Do you think it could work?

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Why do you just eliminate humans and have the Pokemon take center stage, even being able to learn magic?

Because there is a niche of people that find humans and even humanoids boring or whatever. I agree with you though. It's a rather unnecessary limitation of the target audience when there could've been more flexibility in character customization to appeal to more people. These days it's always a good idea to focus on RP survivability in my opinion.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years

Because there is a niche of people that find humans and even humanoids boring or whatever. I agree with you though. It's a rather unnecessary limitation of the target audience when there could've been more flexibility in character customization to appeal to more people. These days it's always a good idea to focus on RP survivability in my opinion.

Umm… the characters in my RP will be human. Honestly, the idea of wizard Pokémon doesn't appeal to me personally.

On the other hand, I don't think I even want to use magic in the RP (as in Destruction or Conjuration), since I'd rather stick with Aura and Psychic powers (not to mention Shouts).

Do you guys like the idea? Are there any suggestions? I'm just checking if people will be interested later on to join, because, as you said, RP survivability is low these days…

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Drunk: ...Huh. Then I have no idea what the guy above me was talking about. O.o Regardless. It looks cool to me. I have two recommendations for RP survival. When making the plot, if you don't force people to work as a team you will (sadly) greatly boost survivability. This is because if all characters are near eachother all the time than whenever someone slows down post frequency everyone is forced to wait, which is very bad for the health of the roleplay.

Speaking of which. Fight inactivity. Skip someone's post if they haven't posted in a couple of days. Send reminders if they need help. Remove them if they repeatedly and frequently hold up the roleplay. It sounds harsh, but when the other RPers are forced to wait it damages their interest in posting. People have lives, but you have a roleplay to make sure doesn't die.

I've angsted myself to sleep over GMs of great RPs just giving people free reign to not post until it's too late. *Cough*Dysidia =< You give someone a week to post and suddenly you find out several of your other roleplayers have lost interest. Boom, huge problem on your hands out of the blue.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I think the RPA's are great, it's all about how you look at it. The way I see it, it's just a kind of bonus to RPing. I mean, friendly competition is fun, and it makes RPers strive to achieve. It also makes them feel good, not even for winning, but even just being nominated. I probably won't get any nominations, but I do try to make my characters and posts as best as I can. My interesting character sign-ups, emotional posts, and, well, humor is a fun method to write with.

Which leads me to, I think funniest RPer award is a good one to keep. I've enjoyed humor in RPing (For example, Moon, my fairy on Zelda: A Link of Dimensions) and I do strive to use it at least once in each RP.

As for dramatic characters, there's my big-reveal Kiyoko character on Pokemon Trainer Academy. Also, my sign-up character for the new Warriors RP by shinysweety (Scarheart, whose mate had died, had no family in the clan, etc.).

As for creating RPs, I've created Wolf's Rain: Blood for Paradise, and Zelda: A Link of Dimensions.

Speaking of which, I came here to look for interested RPers for my Wolf's Rain RP; it needs members!

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=272875

Zero Darkness

The Cripple Who Is Whole
Years
I creating the world of my RP, and I want to know, if you as a role-player, will want to see a map of the world, and how much detaild, only the continents, or + countries, or +cities and landscape [mountains, forests, rivers and lakes] ? I think that the more detaild it is the better, so as for now I creating it the most detailed except for roads, [Its not a pokemon RP, I have 4 continents and 4 kingdoms, one in each continent, and maybe little countries near the kingdoms.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
I agree with PKMTY (I'm gonna call you that, if you don't mind). Inactivity=death of the RP. If you're waiting for someone to post, and that person hasn't posted in quite a while, skip him over, and continue onwards with the storyline. That person will catch up if necessary. Also, consider joint posts for conversations. Agree ahead of time when and where to meet, or simply send a PM and get it started, and you can continue it back and forth. If the person doesn't reply though, track him/her down and force them go with the skipping.

Being a good GM ,or bad one, is the single most important factor in determining often if a RP fails, or finishes. There are other factors, obviously, but this one to me is the most important. It doesn't take terrific writing to do (although it helps), it only takes hard work and determination.

@Zero Darkness A map similar to the ones in the games should be good enough, even if it's not a Pokemon game, in other words, mountains, cities, forests and other important landscapes could be included, but getting more detailed is always a plus, but not a necessity.

Years
I agree with whoever suggested achievements rather than RPAs. And it could be tracked down just like how people do emblems, have a thread and if you think you meet the requirements, post there for the emblem. It doesn't require much. Also maybe there should be some sort of designer emblem for people who spruce up their OPs with lovely CSS and the like. I mean, they definitely took extra time to make everything look organized with relevant graphics and eye-candy. Something for the artistic. xD

Also, I think "Funniest RPer" and any other similar ones should be done away, because humour is subjective. Not everyone may get the joke or reference if they've never heard of said reference. As for drama, I think it's very common to see that in many characters' history and personality, so I don't think there's a need for the most dramatic one. Plus, I wouldn't like the idea of seeing a sudden surge of dramatic characters made just for that sole purpose. Boring imho. ;__;

On a perhaps sarcastic side-note, maybe we should have something for those who make Gary Stu/Mary Sue characters. >:P

Zero Darkness

The Cripple Who Is Whole
Years
@supervegata: I thought about inheritance cycle stlye map. Just I dont know how I gonna do the trees and mountains. Maybe I will do it little low queility, at least so that people could understand things, like that a tree and that a moutain.

Saturated Hue

acrobatic effing pirouette.
Years
@supervegata: I thought about inheritance cycle stlye map. Just I dont know how I gonna do the trees and mountains. Maybe I will do it little low queility, at least so that people could understand things, like that a tree and that a moutain.

Personally, when dealing with terrains on a map, I color-code them (e.g. dark green for forests, gray for mountains, etc.). Since your countries are on four separate continents, it shouldn't be necessary to use color-codes to tell them apart.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, here's a suggestion; how about replacing the funniest roleplayer award for say... a more general "most entertaining roleplayer" award? Since being entertaining is not just restricted to being humorous.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
@Miss Doronjo That's actually a pretty good idea. Much better than the funniest RPer award, IMO, and it's not limited to only humor.

@Zero D Saturated Hue has the right idea. Just keep it simple. Forest are green, mountains are grey, etc.

Zero Darkness

The Cripple Who Is Whole
Years
so what you both meant was to not create tree like thingys, just color the terrein in the color that suit it well?

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
Well, here's a suggestion; how about replacing the funniest roleplayer award for say... a more general "most entertaining roleplayer" award? Since being entertaining is not just restricted to being humorous.

*-DeepImpact- likes*

Also @Zero Darkness, what the guys above me said, Stick to simple, but at the same time descriptive. The map should be like the Pokemon games really lol. Simple to understand.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
@ZD Or, you can draw small squiggles, and make them green, representing trees, and maybe a teepee that's grey, representing a mountain, or something. Nobody cares too much about the quality, as long as they understand the locations and such. At least that's what I think.

Zero Darkness

The Cripple Who Is Whole
Years
ok great, as now I`m doing the world map, and I`m try to give her an explorer like feeling, I will post it here later if thats ok by the rules

Here is the map of the world:
Spoiler:

And not I only have 4 more maps to do, and I gonna do this in the pokemon games style!

Finished my world map, every 1cm equals 100km or 100,000cm.
TheSecondEarth-1.png

Tell me if its good, and the main idea is that the players will know how the world looks.
Now I have more 4 pokemon style maps to do. Somebody have a good guide?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back