• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sub vs Dub

Do watch DUB/SUB animes of your favorite

• Dub

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Sub

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters
Years
Subbed and dubbed can essentially be thought of as similar, except the latter are probably seen more as "official" as they are actually created by companies. Subbed on the other hand are simply volunteers giving their time and expertise in the Japanese language to give those who are not adept in the language to watch. I wouldn't say either of them are more accurate than the other because it depends on who's the translator and their Japanese level \: That's just my opinion though, but I definitely prefer subbed because Japanese voices contain more emotion than English ones.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Subbed and dubbed can essentially be thought of as similar, except the latter are probably seen more as "official" as they are actually created by companies. Subbed on the other hand are simply volunteers giving their time and expertise in the Japanese language to give those who are not adept in the language to watch. I wouldn't say either of them are more accurate than the other because it depends on who's the translator and their Japanese level \: That's just my opinion though, but I definitely prefer subbed because Japanese voices contain more emotion than English ones.
Well... Crunchyroll, Funanimation, etc... subs are as official as dubs now =) (not that quality of their subs is good, though xD)

Years
Well... Crunchyroll, Funanimation, etc... subs are as official as dubs now =) (not that quality of their subs is good, though xD)

Well there's that, but personally, when I think of subbed I think of those groups who are generally made of enthusiasts coming together and volunteering their time in working on series :P

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
Years
I prefer subs a lot more than dubs...dubs usually have horrid voice acting, and the translations usually get messed up.

That, and I like Japanese voices.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I definitely watch it subbed first. I prefer watching anime subbed for many reasons.

I like the "Japanese feel" the shows give off and I feel like that gets burnt to the ground when it's dubbed to English.

The second reason is that usually the English dubbed voices are off. Either they sound way too old/young for the character they're supposed to be playing or they overact/underact so bad it's awkward to listen to. I haven't watched one anime (besides Pupa) where the Japanese voice actors/actresses are bad at their roles. They're always spot on.

But that being said, not all dubs are bad. Most are meh, some are disgusting and a few are actually good.

The only anime so far that I prefer dubbed is Panty and Stocking and the only reason is because I love how rude it is in the dubbed version compared to the Japanese version.

Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya are both fantastic dubs but their Japanese counterparts are fantastic too. xD

Any English dub that censors things, renames characters or changes things are automatically a bad dub in my eyes. If you need to change things in order to dub it, dub something else. Please don't ruin the original story.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
I prefer watching my anime in english dub. It's easier for me to watch because I like to move around a lot while watching a show and would prefer to hear the character's voices as I exit in and out of the room. With subs, I'm forced to sit down and ready every line of text and I'm too busy to really do that because I have several distractions lol. Plus if I really wanted to sit down and read every line of text, I would read the manga instead. However if I hear of a really good anime and there is no dub available for whatever reason, I'll consider the sub. Much like with Attack on Titan or the last couple of episodes of Fairy Tail.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I like both, but I try to watch the dub first because sometimes I just don't feel like reading subtitles. I think the reason dubs get a bad reputation even now is because early dubs were heavily censored and given bad voice direction to the point it feels like a different show, which can be a bit insulting to the original staff who put a lot of work into their series and to people who would rather hear the English voices(some people just can't handle the highness of most Japanese voices. It even took me a while to get used to them). So, I can understand some of the sub fans POV; but the fact that their's still a "war" going on is ridiculous and a gets immature after a while; it's because of things like this I still try to keep a certain level of distance in the community.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I prefer subbed over dubbed because I dislike the people they choose to do voice overs for english dubs. The only time I watch dubbed versions is if its a movie. Like right now I'm waiting for the new DBZ movie to come out dubbed so I don't miss any action while I'm reading.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
It depends on the anime and the voice cast for me, really. Some anime I cannot bear to watch dubbed, because the voice acting is either absolutely appalling or really doesn't do the show justice. Having watched Sengoku Basara both subbed and dubbed, I will never watch it dubbed again - the voice actors just can't do justice to the over-the-top nature of the show. Similarly, Death Note loses a great deal of its drama in the dubbed version. But, that said, I would never watch shows like FMA Brotherhood, Noein, any Gundam series or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex with subs, because the voice cast is absolutely fantastic and makes the show so much better.

As a rule, I tend to see who is voicing whom in the English release before I decide whether or not I'll watch it dubbed. I have no real preference between the two formats, as I've long since gotten used to reading subtitles when watching a show, and I'd miss out on a lot of fantastic anime if I only watched dubbed releases.

Saber of Yellow

King of Knights
Years
I personally prefer sub over dub.

Not like I hate dub or anything. Just that I'm pretty used to hearing Japanese voices with anime so when I hear English voices instead..it's a bit weird for me. Though they are a few exceptions (like Hellsing Ultimate)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I generally prefer sub over dub. The dub voices just never quite fit the character and they don't really capture their personalities. It's probably because dubbing companies have a limited number of voice actors to choose from.

When there's no other option though, I usually don't mind watching the dub.

zZJoennZz

What da!?
Years
Depends on the anime, honestly. First, some anime have some puns with word so it would be better in English sub with notes for the watcher to understand. But if it's just fight or shounen genre, I think dub would fit but I still prefer subs in all but watching dub sometimes.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
I generally prefer sub over dub. The dub voices just never quite fit the character and they don't really capture their personalities. It's probably because dubbing companies have a limited number of voice actors to choose from.

This. This is the exact reason why I choose subs over dubs. :/

Dub voice actors couldn't capture the character's personalities as good as the original. Although, if you think about it, MLP:FiM in Japanese is really good, so I guess Japanese voice actors are just better imo. :/

Ponyta

Diamond Hooves
Years
When it's available and I have no distractions, I watch everything I can subbed. It's more genuine, and 9/10 when I get around to watching dubbed...it's awful..

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
This. This is the exact reason why I choose subs over dubs. :/

Dub voice actors couldn't capture the character's personalities as good as the original. Although, if you think about it, MLP:FiM in Japanese is really good, so I guess Japanese voice actors are just better imo. :/
MLP has Sawashiro Miyuki. She herself can beat the whole English cast =D

Reactions: Arc

Jabberwocky

A man ain't nothin' but a man
Years
I have some difficulties reading text that comes very quickly, so when I watch subs I tend to need to rewind a lot to get everything in. For this reason, I prefer dubs.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I prefer watching in English because I could technically spend more time looking at the visuals rather than reading subtitles. However, if the dubbed voice actors lack that kind of enthusiasm or whatever quality the character needs, I don't want to watch it dubbed. If I watched a series in English first, I'll have some difficultly switching over to sub (e.g. Code Geass, FMA, Death Note, Space Dandy).

Some have great dubs, but I preferred the sub (e.g. Steins Gate especially for Okabe and Mayuri). It didn't seem as cute when she referred to herself in the third person in English. I preferred the dub of Baccano because the story takes place in 1930s America.

It really comes down to a case by case basis.

Back