• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThorhianTheUltimate

No, im not Thorzain
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
The real BIOS is copyrighted. VBA made their own, but it can use the real one. It is ever so slightly different, causing issues.

Oh lol, your referring to the VBA BIOS XD I guess you made a typo with "VBQ"? Okay, so some hacks may need the VBA "BIOS" to play some of those hacks. Hmm, I wonder why, since having a real BIOS is more accurate.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
There's something I've noticed when I insert songs into a rom.

For some reason, the songs have a higher speed when played ingame than they do normally. Does anybody know what causes this? And is there a way to fix this?

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
I've been using SMCA and AdvanceIntroEd recently, but could NEVER find a solution to a problem i've had. When I spawn in my room, there is a tile error which does not show on A-Map. Since I haven't posted 15 times, I cannot provide a screenshot. Essentially it is a door and carpet tile, which disappear after you leave the room and then come back in. I've tried deleting all level/map scripts but nothing seems to work.
Help is highly appreciated. :)

Well, it might be some tile error or somekind. But the best thing you can do is, create another map! Goto A-Map and create a duplicate of the map(what i mean is make it look like the other one). Then goto SMCA and point out your newly made map. :)

There's something I've noticed when I insert songs into a rom.

For some reason, the songs have a higher speed when played ingame than they do normally. Does anybody know what causes this? And is there a way to fix this?

What are you using to insert them? Sappy or what?

Is it possible to expand the amount of blocks from 512 to 1024 in Emerald? And how can do it?

You can do hex editing or something like that to do that bud :)

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Oh lol, your referring to the VBA BIOS XD I guess you made a typo with "VBQ"? Okay, so some hacks may need the VBA "BIOS" to play some of those hacks. Hmm, I wonder why, since having a real BIOS is more accurate.

Some people just don't realize that VBA doesn't have a real BIOS file or think that is close enough, and they write their code around testing on VBA. I know, for example, that swi 0x12 (LZ77 Image Decompresion) uses registers 0, 1, 2, and 3 in the real BIOS file, but VBA's doesn't use r3. This resulted in JPAN writing a section of his hacked engine to use r3. So, his code didn't work with a real BIOS file because r3 was overwritten. I ended up fixing this when I learned about it.

Nordk

Chief Harpoonist
Years
I appologise if this is a noobish question, but I haven't found anything on it.
Will starting the game and creating a save file adversely effect the game when it comes to editing? I know the game and save files are separate, but I just want to make sure. (going through Oak's intro at the beginning just so I can check some warps is getting really annoying)

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Will starting the game and creating a save file adversely effect the game when it comes to editing? I know the game and save files are separate, but I just want to make sure. (going through Oak's intro at the beginning just so I can check some warps is getting really annoying)

It depends on what you change. If you prevent the game from setting certain flags, those won't get saved, and you will have issue.

Just to test warps, that won't be an issue. Events and other things, that could cause problems.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
Well, it might be some tile error or somekind. But the best thing you can do is, create another map! Goto A-Map and create a duplicate of the map(what i mean is make it look like the other one). Then goto SMCA and point out your newly made map. :)

What are you using to insert them? Sappy or what?

You can do hex editing or something like that to do that bud :)

I use sappy to insert songs.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 28, 2014

As a precaution, don't save (and especially don't save state) while in the map you're working on. Changing the map while you're saved in it can cause all the events (even warps) to stop working, so always save at least one map away. If you do mess up accidentally, changing everything back to EXACTLY how it was will make the map work again. Trust me, I've almost skunked a few saves just by moving an event a few spaces away.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
For some reason, it can only be speed up on sappy but in-game, it's normal.
Are you sure? Because sappy features that.

Actually, I think it played perfectly normal in sappy. The songs I experimented with turned out faster ingame though.
If its important somehow, I was putting these songs in place of the original title screen music to test them ingame. I didn't open the .s files or edit them at all, and I made sure these were midi format0 converted into .s files. They were looped too. ^^

Eminence

Pokemon Eminence
Years

Creating a new map didn't help at all, it will just create the error again :(

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Creating a new map didn't help at all, it will just create the error again :(

Try [my] solution.
Expand the map, and map at the center of it, since the PLAYER will spawn in the very middle of the map (that is, if you haven't changed where the player's X and Y spawn spot).
That's what I did with Rescue Rangers and Life of Guardians. xD

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2014
I'm doing a hack of Emerald, and cannot find the script for the life of me where the mom tells you to come to the T.V., and when the mom in May's house asks who you are and what not. Any ideas?

Eminence

Pokemon Eminence
Years
Try [my] solution.
Expand the map, and map at the center of it, since the PLAYER will spawn in the very middle of the map (that is, if you haven't changed where the player's X and Y spawn spot).
That's what I did with Rescue Rangers and Life of Guardians. xD

Thanks for this information, I could only find information on how to change your x/y position in Emerald not ruby (different offsets), but with your information this should help A LOT.

EDIT: IT WORKED! Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Years
(Sorry for my old message)
Hi, I've a problem ; I have added more or less new Pokémon but I have a problem with their name and sprite : they have the sprite and the name of "???????". By cons, their evolution and their stats work perfectly.
I do not have added to the Pokédex.
Do you think that a report ?

Thank you in advance;)!

Eminence

Pokemon Eminence
Years
(Sorry for my old message)
Hi, I've a problem ; I have added more or less new Pokémon but I have a problem with their name and sprite : they have the sprite and the name of "???????". By cons, their evolution and their stats work perfectly.
I do not have added to the Pokédex.
Do you think that a report ?

Thank you in advance;)!

If the pokemon's you have added do not have a name, you need to open YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor), find the pokemon you added and in the bottom left you can change their name. To change or add a new sprite for the pokemon, you can either make your own or find some indexed sprites online, we have some in the "resources thread". I use Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor, which can be found by simply googline "Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor". Hope this helps!

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
I have a prob with the fadescreen command.

When the weather is dark / rainy and i use a fadescreen command like this.

fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite 0xX
setflag 0xX
fadescreen 0x0

the area gets darker. If i do it with fadescreen 0x2 the area gets lighter. Even if i use special 0x8E the palettes are not reloading and because i use a lot of these commands within one script i comes to the point, where the entiry map is black.

Has anybody fixed it yet?
Any ideas, why it could be like this?

PS:
Excuse my bad english, i am a german hacker

Years
If the pokemon's you have added do not have a name, you need to open YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor), find the pokemon you added and in the bottom left you can change their name. To change or add a new sprite for the pokemon, you can either make your own or find some indexed sprites online, we have some in the "resources thread". I use Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor, which can be found by simply googline "Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor". Hope this helps!
Thank you for your help, but I've done that but it does not work ;(.
The name and sprite no change.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Thank you for your help, but I've done that but it does not work ;(.
The name and sprite no change.

This may sound stupid, but did you press "save" when you finished? Additionally, it might be a bad rom that you're working with. Have you tried the same process on a clean fire red rom?

Years
This may sound stupid, but did you press "save" when you finished? Additionally, it might be a bad rom that you're working with. Have you tried the same process on a clean fire red rom?

Yes, of course ^ ^.
But in fact, I think I misspoke; I created new Pokémon, I have not changed.
And I just saw that when giving him a nickname, there is well marked "Turtwig's nickname" and not "????????? nickname" (yes, I tried to create Turtwig)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back