• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Ethereal Gates

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Fernling, The Hatchling Pokemon (Grass/Flying)

Votes: 830 41.2%
  • Kittorch, The Kitten Pokemon (Fire)

Votes: 815 40.4%
  • Bubull, The Hippo Pokemon (Water)

Votes: 370 18.4%

• Total voters

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 31, 2022
Yep! Setik and Verdva are no longer counterparts. Verdva plays the role of the gen.1/gen.2 "quickly evolving" bug, while setik is now a more 5th gen esque "competitively viable" early game bug.

So basically, Abdoscus is more like the equivalent of Scolipede now than the equivalent of Beedrill? Cool! :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 11, 2017
This game looks stunning. I can't wait until you're finished with it to see all the fakemon and how the story unfolds

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 27, 2016
The pixel art and character designs are among the best I've seen around here. You guys are very talented! I will have a look at the demo for sure once I got some spare time.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 27, 2016
Okay so I finished the demo, it was shorter than I thought. First of, it was really fun to play and I had a great time. Can't wait for the next demo, hopefully with another 2+ gyms?

Now here's a few issues I found:
- the overwolrd has a poor performance. But I guss this is a general problem with RPG maker because the only other fangame I played so far (Reborn) is laggy too. Lag is gone as soon as I enter any house so it's problably the size of the overworld that causes it to lag... no idea if that can be helped
- between Route 2 and Corella Town, there is a tile of a tree that doesn't draw correctly above the player when crossing it. It's the 2nd tree from the left of the bottom row
- the player can walk "through" the most left column of tiles of any Pokemon center

Some feedback regarding the gameplay:
- first thing I noticed is how uncomfortable I am with running on Z while having the "B-button" on X. They share the same key in any other Pokemon game, most people are used to that
- the Pokemon encounter rate is crazy, I got in a fight almost every 3 steps. This is especially nasty because your routes/forsets/etc have high amounts of grass and walking through it can't be avoided most of the time. I suggest to either drop the enounter rate or to have routes with less grass
- it would be really helpful to see the power and accuracy of a TM/HM directly in the bag, before using it

Besides that, congratulations on making this beautiful game! Especially the interface and soundtrack are really cool. Can't wait to play more of it!

Edit: Oh I forgot, here's an exception I got during a fight:

Exception: NameError
Message: undefined local variable or method `attacker' for #<PokeBattle_Battle:0xc5ff3f8>
PokeBattle_Battle:2456:in `pbOnActiveOne'
PokeBattle_Battle:1658:in `pbRecallAndReplace'
BW_BattleCore:404:in `pbSwitch'
BW_BattleCore:365:in `each'
BW_BattleCore:365:in `pbSwitch'
PokeBattle_Battle:4122:in `__clauses__pbEndOfRoundPhase'
PokeBattle_Clauses:42:in `pbEndOfRoundPhase'
BW_BattleCore:183:in `pbStartBattleCore'
BW_BattleCore:182:in `logonerr'
BW_BattleCore:182:in `pbStartBattleCore'

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
Omg etherealgates.com is a thing cool beans go check it out and share it with your friendly friends

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Oct 29, 2015
I can't get the game to open up, is there something i need to do after extractign and installing all the text fonts????

arinceo

Eat, Sleep, Pokemon
Years
I can't get the game to open up, is there something I need to do after extractign and installing all the text fonts????
There's more than one file called game, I made the same mistake. Try opening all of them, one should be right :)

Awesome game guys, three hours in and I haven't beat the first gym!

azlirzli

Lee of Leneka
Years
HEY GUYS, I can't wait for the next update because I've been itching to continue my journey in this already beautiful game. I really pray that the next update drops soon. ALL THE BEST, rooting for this game and you guys always. Always here to help! :) - Lee

My current team:
1. Arsoline - LVL 34
2. Mosachuset - LVL 30
3. Volansalix - LVL 32
4. Abdoscus - LVL 29
5. Aerivore - LVL 31
6. Bansheet - LVL 30

ALL THE BEST TO THOSE PLAYING THE GAME & HAVE FUN :pink_boogie:

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 9, 2016
Where's the download link? II may have skipped over it, but I didn't see it...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2016
I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but i've had to force quit twice during pokemon battles because it freezes.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but i've had to force quit twice during pokemon battles because it freezes.

This has definitely been brought up many times--especially if you're playing on a Mac. These RMXP games are built to be run on PCs, and Wine and Wineskin are mainly ways by which to play, but they're not perfect. We're constantly working on ways to mitigate this issue though. Thanks for the report!

Tomorrow for Christmas we'll have a tiny update including a brand new Pokémon :)

PerihelionProductions

Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years

pp_logo_by_siraquakip-d8tc7kd.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHRISTMAS UPDATE!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As our End-of-Year gift, we've got some brand new official art, as well as a never-before-seen Leneka Pokémon!

Introducing Weebal!
CXRc5W6UAAEu6zx.png

Weebal often roll into a tire-shape for easier traversal through icy terrain!

Also, introducing Ambloot!
CXK7sNvUAAABgQo.png

These Pokémon are known to take anything that looks even remotely shiny!

We'll be updating our first post with more up-to-date screenshots and information soon, thanks for bearing with us!

Back