• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alolan Pokémon in Fan games?

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
Years
Hey everyone!

I've had this question in my head ever since Pokémon Sun and Moon introduced the Alolan Pokémon -

How do you feel about Alolan Pokémon being introduced in fan games?

I personally believe that, being such a specific kind of Pokémon in the main canon, it's difficult to have them appear in a fan game for no reason/without a proper explanation. There are two ways i can think of to have them in your fan game and make them work out (Following the canon, that is):

- Add them to your game with a proper background as to why an island breed of Pokémon suddenly appeared in your region.
- Make them special events, or unique gifts from NPCs.

Of course you can just ignore the canon and have them appear in your world as any other Pokémon, or even give them their own lore, but as someone who tries to follow the canon as much as possible when it comes to Pokémon and their habitats when developing a story, it'd be interesting to see ways other game devs would go about making them part of their games.

Would you include Alolan Pokémon in your fan game? and if so, how and why?

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
Years
I've already seen it done before, I think. I was even working on adding them in my own game not too long ago.

Personally, I don't really think that it's a big deal. People are going to do it. Whenever there's a new Gen out, people always race to add that Gen's stuff into their fan-game. So it's pretty much more than likely that more and more fan-games will want to add in Alolan forms. Some people might stick with Sun and Moon's Alolan forms, and others might make their own regional forms. I'm not sure how people would approach it canon-wise, though. Some might try to offer explanation as to why they're there, others might just forgo that. In the end, I don't think many people will care regardless - it'll just be another nifty feature that everyone wants to add in.

Would I add them into my game? Eh, maybe. I thought about it and did some work to add them in, but I don't think I will overall. It's just too spur of the moment at this point. I might wait until another time to jump on that bandwagon.

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
Years
I've already seen it done before, I think. I was even working on adding them in my own game not too long ago.

Personally, I don't really think that it's a big deal. People are going to do it. Whenever there's a new Gen out, people always race to add that Gen's stuff into their fan-game. So it's pretty much more than likely that more and more fan-games will want to add in Alolan forms. Some people might stick with Sun and Moon's Alolan forms, and others might make their own regional forms. I'm not sure how people would approach it canon-wise, though. Some might try to offer explanation as to why they're there, others might just forgo that. In the end, I don't think many people will care regardless - it'll just be another nifty feature that everyone wants to add in.

Would I add them into my game? Eh, maybe. I thought about it and did some work to add them in, but I don't think I will overall. It's just too spur of the moment at this point. I might wait until another time to jump on that bandwagon.

I agree. The double edged sword is see is that - at least for me - it will be a dead giveaway of someone who didn't put any time into their story and just wanted to shove all the new scripts and features they found in the forum to their game (probably along with all regions, and 'mons, etc...). It's kind of a turn off because I don't want to play a game that lists as one of its core features "GUISE ALL THE ALOLAN FORMS!!1!FEASHURR!1" just because.

I think, visually, some Alolan forms surpass their Kanto counterparts. I don't think I'll be adding them to my game as more than maybe gifts from an NPC or prizes for winning at the Game Corner or something like that.

Years
I have them in my game as things you can get via breeding/evolving while holding the Strange Souvenir, which is connected to Alola. So from that perspective, I think I have the canon explanation okay. I mean, yeah, the SS doesn't do that in the official games, but...eh.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Iowa
  • Seen Sep 30, 2021
i'll have the Alolan Pokemon in the Alola region of my Fan Game, Pokemon World, and why you ask? because i want my fan game to allow you to travel to any and all previous regions, not just the new one made by myself. :)

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Same way that I included gen VII new pokémon. Just put it in the wild areas. After all, they are all pokémon introduced in Alola.

Last edited:
Years
You remember the backpackers in SM who used the non-Alolan (original) forms of the Pokemon? Those trainers will exist in my game, except they will be backpackers from Alola and they will be the only ones who use Alolan Pokemon. The only way Alolan Pokemon will be obtainable is through trades with these NPCs.
I have them in my game as things you can get via breeding/evolving while holding the Strange Souvenir, which is connected to Alola.

^This is an absolutely brilliant idea.

Alababal

Pokémon Alabaster Developer
Years
I agree with your general sentiment. For my own game I do want to put alolan forms in, and have them be obtainable. I won't put them in the wild without gamefreak setting some sort of precedent of forms appearing in multiple regions though. If that doesn't happen I may have to get creative, but I don't mind that ;)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2018
Pokemon migratory patterns?
Imports and exports of rare exotic pokemon?
Travelers who brought breed and released pokemon into the local area.

Or a combination of all a young professor studying how foreign pokemon from a far away region react when introduced to the new ecosystem.

Just thoughts and yes I am adding them to my game (already have tbh) and they appear only in the new fanmade region. Outside of this region in the other regions you may see them in trainer battles but thats it except maybe safari pokes or a random trade here or there.

Fan made region is actually kinda end game content in my game.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
I'll add up one possibility that someone else probably already thought about :
the / a local criminal organization trafficking pok?mon.

Perhaps you could throw in things such as a seemingly abandoned shed in
which you may find a shiny, an old or non-core game shiny, a unique variant, a rare
pok?mon or one whom isn't from the region, or maybe a cage that accidentally fell
in the middle of the road and can be opened with a certain cutting move + determined
attack statistic or higher or an other move that allows the stat to temporarily raise (I know, Ranger games are getting to my head >w<)

Yet an other possibility would be somehow implementing a non-local pok?mon with a backstory
of descending from someone that was taken to the region by some trainer in the past, or belonging to
a small population that was imported by researchers (even if FenrisXP already proposed something like that.)

Oh, cubone doesn't have a regional variant YET, so fan-devs could have a cubone obtained as
starter, gift, through trade or through in-game even, whom surprises us by evolving into the Alolan marowak.

Last edited:
Back