• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Enviornment Varients!

Years
As a continuation of the GT contest, here's the challenge/collaboration thread!​

The goal for this thread it to make variant of pokemon based on environments!
This is not for official variations! It's for everyone to flex their creative muscles to try and create ideas for and concepts for different variations based on many many environments. There can be multiple versions for pokemon in areas as well, but it's recommended you work together! There is no barrier in terms of media, it can be sketches, drawings, pixel art, or sprites.

example:
nqUa7dp.jpg

Finished:

In-Progress:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'll upload these quickly as a way to start off before the GT forum gets removed:

Spoiler:

Right now I'm working on a Tangela variant which evolved in a volcanic environment but I'm having a little trouble with getting the flame particles right. Anyone have any tips on how to make a small realistic flame? I've only ever really done recolours and fusions so spiriting original stuff is very new to me haha. Here's how he's looking so far (only a basic recolour of the vines with a bad strip of fire for now but a lot will change):

yYKrN6W.png

Leaving the boots/face until I've done the vines as I'm not certain on how I'll want them to look yet. And here's the isolated fire:

HVHQiBq.png

Any ideas on how to make this look more realistic/not badly made? Ideally I want him to have those kind of fire tinges on a lot of his vines (I'll probably start from the back and work forward to show that he is still made of vines) and then once that's done I plan to work on things like making his core and feet look like slate, trying to make his vines possibly look more like rock fragments, etc... but I think I may be trying too big of a job for my skills right now haha. What do you guys think of the concept/how hard it'll be to pull off for a novice? I'll keep working on it for now!

Edit: Does this look at all on fire?
jgFvsPJ.png
Not sure I'm very good at this yet :p

Edit 2:
Ce9iHmX.png
This colour may suit it more? Hm... Want to sort this out before adding the rest of the fire...

Last edited:

CDB

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Edit: Does this look at all on fire?
jgFvsPJ.png
Not sure I'm very good at this yet :p

Edit 2:
Ce9iHmX.png
This colour may suit it more? Hm... Want to sort this out before adding the rest of the fire...

I haven't done any sprites in quite a while haha but for fire you generally don't want to outline it; Pokemon sprites usually just have red/orange/yellow in a fire-y shape :p Something like this: (I'm very out of practice)
Spoiler:

I've made my own little modifications to the idea, if you don't mind :) Volcanic soil is very fertile, so I thought a Volcanic Tangela would probably be some kind of flourishing succulent with a hard earthen core that can survive eruptions; since Tangela can quickly regenerate, the plant-parts are replaced as soon as the eruption stops and the lava cools

My own quick sketches:

be18328b5b1d6f0eb7781c83ac5247f3.png

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I haven't done any sprites in quite a while haha but for fire you generally don't want to outline it; Pokemon sprites usually just have red/orange/yellow in a fire-y shape :p Something like this: (I'm very out of practice)
Spoiler:

I've made my own little modifications to the idea, if you don't mind :) Volcanic soil is very fertile, so I thought a Volcanic Tangela would probably be some kind of flourishing succulent with a hard earthen core that can survive eruptions; since Tangela can quickly regenerate, the plant-parts are replaced as soon as the eruption stops and the lava cools

My own quick sketches:

Spoiler:
Bliiimey you're crazy good at this. I absolutely adore the Tangela variant you made he seriously looks so amazing and the idea is just perfect for a volcanic Tangela. I'm really hoping to get a bit more creative by taking part in stuff like this because this is the kind of idea is something that I would love to come up with out of nowhere haha. Perhaps we can make one of the first goals of this thread to fully develop this Tangela variant? I'd absolutely love to see this project come fully into being. I'll try my best to develop some sprite work for it but as I've said before I'm not very well practised yet so we'll see what I can do!

CDB

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023

Glad you like the idea ^_^ Unfortunately I'm not very good at sticking with one thing but I will definitely give feedback or suggestions when they come to mind regarding the Volcanic Tangela

On another note, here are some Poliwrath variants :p

Spoiler:

River Poliwrath are the most commonly seen variant; their strong arms led to underused and therefore weak legs. They much prefer being in water, but while on land, they move around by using their arms to slingshot themselves long distances.

Tropical Poliwrath are more accustomed to sticking near trees, often hiding near colorful plants or within shrubbery. Because of their extremely potent toxins, they do not rely on strength, as River Poliwrath do, but rather their poisonous abilities.

Desert Poliwrath are difficult to spot, as they tend to burrow beneath the sands to shelter themselves from the heat. In order to conserve energy, they generally do not move around; instead, they stay close to familiar areas and lie in wait for unsuspecting prey.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
On another note, here are some Poliwrath variants :p

Spoiler:

Tropical Poliwrath are more accustomed to sticking near trees, often hiding near colorful plants or within shrubbery. Because of their extremely potent toxins, they do not rely on strength, as River Poliwrath do, but rather their poisonous abilities.

I tried to sprite the Tropical Poliwrath.
62p.png
It could be better, I had no clue where to put the splotches of black.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Introducing Alolan Vanillite! :D

I liked the idea of making this wintery Pokémon more suitable for the Alola setting, so I gave Vanillite a more 'tropical summer treat' look - problem is it's still an ice cream Pokémon so I couldn't really play around with the typing too much; ended up just tacking on the Fairy type (there seems to be a trend of making cute foods Fairy type anyway, eg. Swirlix, Morelull, etc). :P

But yeah, it was fun, I'll definitely try this again later - hopefully with a more creative concept. I do want to try making a more drastic change to a Pokémon!

Sunstruck

Insomniac Extraordinaire
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 12, 2023
So this is a sprite meant for my hack, but I think it works well as an environmental variant. I can see this being a Dratini who adapted to life in the sea rather than in a river, and thus became a Water type and developed more aquatic traits to survive there better. Alternatively, they could be a variant of Dratini which never opted to evolve further than Dragonair, thus remaining aquatic for the rest of their lives and adapting to that environment better, instead of leaving the water as Dragonite.

tini.png

Back