• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2014
That frog is messed up. The grass type looks like a brown oshawott with a hat and the fire type is the only one somewhat acceptable

Annataz

Master of Time and Space
Years
I initially preferred Fennekin, but Froakie has really grown on me. It could all change again when the full evolutions, stats, and movesets are released, but for now, I'm set on choosing Froakie. I like Water types more than Fire types anyway.

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
Fennekin gets too much attention, plain and simple. It's so... feeble! Like it can't even stand up! I can tell we're going to get another "good at attacking, bad at defending but super duper fast" Fire type again. Why not another Emboar!? I'm one of the few who enjoyed a gigantic wrestling wild boar who would toast you then smash you to pieces if you mentioned "bacon".

I really love Chespin. If it's a Grass/Rock type, it's automatically mine! However, Froakie really appeals to me too. But seriously, another Water type frog? C'mon Game Freak! You were doing okay with a Water/Ground frog but... seriously? Just because it's a starter doesn't mean you're off the hook!

Anyways, Snivy was a total disappointment. I hate it with a passion, and don it the worst starter, ever. Chespin shall restore the honor to the Grass type's name!

Years
With only one more CoroCoro issue to go before game release, I am hoping they reveal the starter evolutions with this one so everyone will know if their fave 6th Gen starter certainly lived up to their expectations. I remember back when starter evolutions in 5th Gen were revealed, those who loved Tepig got screwed over the most, and changed their choice to Oshawott or Snivy, mainly due to poor Tepig evolving into another Fire/Fighting starter, which they got sick of at that point. And I do remember most starter evolutions never came out until game release, especially the final stages.

I'm hoping that 6th Gen's starter evolutions don't turn out to be a disappointment, because the thoughts are endless on what they may look like when they evolve. With all the fanart I saw floating around, there are lots of possibilities we may see.

But the one I'm hoping turns out great is Froakie's. I seriously want to see how awesome the froggy looks when he evolves because he's the one I'll be using on my first playthrough out of my respect for Water starters.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
If Fennekin ends up being another Fire/Fighting type than I hope it's more of a special version of Infernape. I don't want it to be Emboar who as of right now is the worst Fire/Fighting in terms of competitive play.

Years
If Fennekin ends up being another Fire/Fighting type than I hope it's more of a special version of Infernape. I don't want it to be Emboar who as of right now is the worst Fire/Fighting in terms of competitive play.

I do know Infernape's stats leaned towards mixed attacker, as opposed to Blaziken and Emboar being primarily physical attackers. I don't we've had a primarily special Fire/Fighting-type yet and Fennekin's stats would likely lean to that side, although the trailer in which Glow Punch was shown did make a few fans rage, but it could lead to Fennekin's evolution being biped. I could see it possibly resembling Renamon from the Digimon series.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
With Torchic being available for free during the release...is there really any point in getting Fennekin?

Seriously...It almost looked like Gamefreak is going: 'Here, since we always disappoint you with the Fire Starters, and since this one has a chance to be a Fighting type, we'll give you the best Fire/Fighting type ever made so you don't have to choose the new one that you'll absolutely hate.'

Just how I'm reading this XD

Now I can start with a Fire and Water starter~...Need to try and see if we have early trades or if we have to wait for first Gym cause I still want to try and get Chespin too. >.<

Years
With Torchic being available for free during the release...is there really any point in getting Fennekin?

Seriously...It almost looked like Gamefreak is going: 'Here, since we always disappoint you with the Fire Starters, and since this one has a chance to be a Fighting type, we'll give you the best Fire/Fighting type ever made so you don't have to choose the new one that you'll absolutely hate.'

Now I can start with a Fire and Water starter~...Need to try and see if we have early trades or if we have to wait for first Gym cause I still want to try and get Chespin too. >.<

I'll trade you my chespin if you find me a shiny Swirlix :p

Years

Not just the best but the ORIGINAL Fire/Fighting starter :3.

Now if Fennekin is Fire/Psychic it'll have it's own perks and disadvantages and not just be another Blaziken clone.

*Icecold*

Years
NO. STAWP. No competitive battling talk.

I likes Emboar, more than Infernape since Infernape is unoriginal.

At least Emboar isn't the usual "fast, bad with defenses, powerful" we keep getting reused over and over again.

If Fennekin becomes Fire/Fighting, I'll laugh so hard.

Years
NO. STAWP. No competitive battling talk.

I likes Emboar, more than Infernape since Infernape is unoriginal.

At least Emboar isn't the usual "fast, bad with defenses, powerful" we keep getting reused over and over again.

If Fennekin becomes Fire/Fighting, I'll laugh so hard.
Sadly Emboar is a "slow, bad with defenses, powerful" kind...it has trouble surviving to land a hit...and has worse defenses than Infernape...

On topic: I hope that Fennekin has the highest defenses out of all fire starters as they'll all pretty frail...

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
Sadly Emboar is a "slow, bad with defenses, powerful" kind...it has trouble surviving to land a hit...and has worse defenses than Infernape...

On topic: I hope that Fennekin has the highest defenses out of all fire starters as they'll all pretty frail...

Judging from the screenshots I've seen around with them leaking the starters' HP stat at X level, it seems as if Chespin is the bulkiest of the three from what I've calc'd in a quick program I made to find base stats. Its defenses are still hidden, so there's that mystery. (Edit: misread your post xD thought you said out of the three starters instead of fire starters)

Also, having access to a Speed Boost Torchic from the very day the game launches pretty much makes most of the Fennekin users think twice. No worries for me, since I'm sticking with either Froakie or Chespin. :]

Last edited:

ErikaInRainbowCity

Everyday I'm Tumblin'
Years
Fennekin is like, super adorable! Must pick :D

Too bad I don't have a 3DS *dies* I spent my money (what little amount I had) on a cheap, used Nintendo DS Lite to replace my old one before I knew X & Y were coming out ;_; Does anyone know if they have a 3DS emulator?

Riv

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2013
Chespin and Froakie both look like they will have fighting with them.

*Icecold*

Years
QUOTE]

...which means no one will stop me from liking it ;) Also proves that Generation 5 isn't as good as everyone thinks it is. ...to me at least.

And I always wonder why people complain about speed when all you really need is a few Speed enhancing elixirs and a Quick Claw.

But I still want meh Chespin D:

Years
QUOTE]

...which means no one will stop me from liking it ;) Also proves that Generation 5 isn't as good as everyone thinks it is. ...to me at least.

And I always wonder why people complain about speed when all you really need is a few Speed enhancing elixirs and a Quick Claw.

But I still want meh Chespin D:
I believe Quick Claw is banned at least in the Smogon competitive system so that's proably why, also Quick Claw is random...

Gen V's starters imo were too flawed...hopefully this generation they'll be more useful in competitive like Hoenn's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back