• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokemon: Super Rising Thunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
First, I want to thank everyone who's left comments here since my last post - I love you guys, I really do (smellybellysrock, feel free to use the overworld map concept for your own hack - I hardly invented it, after all - but my specific map is not to be "stolen," sorry ^^' ). You guys are why I keep going. :) I've read every one of your posts and treasure them all, even if I don't always respond as I should...I've just been having a rough time as of late. :( That's also why I've not written any reviews lately, either...I'll try and do better on both counts, though ^^'

Part Three of the intro. Be warned it's a tiny bit more spoilerish than the previous two due to plot-heaviness - this video's several minutes longer that the ones I posted before and with good reason (even though we've seen about 45 seconds of the footage before ^^' ). Once the intro is complete (should be just one more video), most further updates to this thread will be text and screenshot based; with the occasional video to show a few story-based scripts as well as some dungeon related stuff (such as a demonstration of how traps work). If I made videos of everything, after all, there'd be no surprises left ;) And what would be the fun in playing the game then? The intro's being posted merely to whet your appetite for more =D

There are a few more little plot details and some dungeon stuff I wanted to discuss, but since it's 3 AM here and I'm half asleep I'll save it for another post ^^'

Ivee

Ask me about Trailblazer :3
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2019
I think this is the only hack with a story I actually like (but it helps I like stories about animals way more than people). Will Emonga be in this game?

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
Watching that video, that 10 minute video, and I honestly shed a tear. If that's what this hack can do in only ten minutes, then I really need to see more.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Beautiful... moving... awesome... I cannot add more...
Poor Momo... she did not deserve such an awful destiny... but it helps you to gather the strength. That's good. =)
By the way I'd darken Raikou's tail. It looks too pink. =)
I hope to see Super Rising Thunder soon =D

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Noooooooo! Poor Momo! :( I like how you didn't hold anything back there, even including the blood and everything. Not many people would go that far. In fact that's what I like most about this game: it's the attention to detail, which is something that is missing from many other hacks here. Even down to each tree being slightly different which is a really nice touch. I don't think I can say anything else about the quality of the story than I already have (it's fantastic) and it keeps getting better and better.

I have a things to say about the game mechanics. I seem to remember that if you wipe out on Ruby before you got to Oldale Town, you warped back in front of your house? so I guess that if you wipe out whilst fighting the Spearow, you could set it to warp back to the start of the dungeon? Also presumably you've set Pichu to learn SuperThunder at Lv. 6 to tie in with the story - well if the player loses several times against the second Sprearow but beats the first one, that would mean Pichu would grow to Lv. 6 before then and be able to use the move in that battle? I dunno, you probably know better than me. ^^'

Well I say again this has to be one of the most promising hacks I've seen it a very long time and I'm totally hooked. Really looking forward to your updates and *maybe* even a beta. Keep it up PPG!

Years
Watching that video, that 10 minute video, and I honestly shed a tear. If that's what this hack can do in only ten minutes, then I really need to see more.

I have to agree. Really, this is one of the most different, original hacks I've ever seen, I've loved it since I laid eyes on it. I don't mean this to sound like I'm rushing you or anything, but really, don't ever let this hack go without some kind of release. It happens all too often- we see a fantastic idea, and it dies because the creator has to move on to other things in real life. I implore you to not let that happen with this.
Keep up the great work, PPG :)

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
The tiles look good, that's for sure. :x And I like the idea of playing as a Pokemon. It reminds me of Rescue Rangers, but different story. ;> The features you list are well written, so good job on that. And the story is certainly interesting. Good luck on this. It looks promising.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
Wow. I just watched all three videos, and I yearn for more. Despite the constraints placed upon you by the ROM base, you've produced something really interesting and unique.

My only qualm is the lack of consistency with the sprites, but it's not the most important thing to be worried about anyway. It's only the angle of the drey trees that's off, because it doesn't match the other trees, but I suppose it helps them stick out.

Anyway, fantastic game so far. I look forward to seeing more and eventually playing this in the future.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
This is honestly the most moving, original, feature full, amazing, etc. hack I have ever seen. I'm honestly second guessing all the work I've done on my own hack. Amazing job, honestly, and as Gira said, please don't ever give up on this. It's so absolutely amazing (I really need to quit saying that word x.x) that I now have a favorite, which is something I couldn't say in my past 4 years here at PokeCommunity, and I haven't even played yet!

starterra

The Zoroark Trainer
Years
Woah. Just... woah. Momo dies? That is really unexpected. This hack is amazing. And I liked the poetry too :)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Momo died in this hack?! Wow, I never saw that coming, I never thought the storyline would just get any better than this. I just kinda wonder why Nintendo never made a Pokémon game that would involve in someone passing away. Do they think it's "not right" or too "violent" or something?

Well anyways, back onto the topic. What I would recommend is maybe trying to learn about ASM editing, if you can ASM edit or something... you might be able to remove the sequence where the trainer 'throws the invisible PokéBall', like what Coolboyman has done with Pokémon Prism. But you don't have to do it if you don't want to, it's just tip.

Maybe also having a double battle with the Spearows with lower levels might be a better idea than battling one after the other. Which means we could do some more research to creating a double wild Pokémon battle, like the system that is in Pokémon Black and Pokémon White.

Years
I...think I'm gonna go edit my HOTY votes. Honestly Pink Parka, this hack, in every aspect, is amazing. It...ugh, amazing is the only word that fits. Just keep on going. I am watching this hack. Definitely.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022

Part Four of the intro. About seven minutes of exposition and two bonus minutes of dungeon crawling - thrilling, I know XD If for some reason you can't watch the video (my background music caused a copyright issue that blocks the video in certain countries; I'm currently swapping the audio out for one of Youtube's free-use tunes; but that process isn't complete yet at the time of this posting), than simply check back a bit later and it should hopefully be done loading the new music :)

I'll either edit this post, or make a separate one sometime later today, to respond to my prior feedback; as well as any I may get after posting this - I worked almost all day long making that giant Feldan script and then playing around with the traps; and I'm about to collaspe from exhaustion ^^'

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Er....................
A black tire?
I was expecting a bit, uh, cooler than a tire but...

The video shows nice updates. ;)
Keep it up~

Last edited:

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Er....................
A black tire?
I was expecting a bit, uh, cooler than a tire but...

The video shows nice updates.
Keep it up~

The Great Black One may not seem that great to us; but look at this from the perspective of the Hero and the other Chus in Pikpik Forest. =D You live in a very primitive hunter-gatherer society that has zero concept of the wheel, and thus wouldn't be able to guess at what a tire's true purpose is. You have a warped view of the society that came before yours as being made up of creatures with strong magic powers; and invest their unexplainable relics left behind with mystic powers of their own due to them defying any attempts at explanation (this is also why the Hero wears a bit of cloth on his ear - it's a talisman, as explained in-game a little later :) ). It's pure magical thinking XD Also, rubber itself, and all the scents that still cling to the Great Black One (gasoline and the like), are incredibly strange to you; but you do know this strange black thing does one thing - the Flash-born don't like the smells any more than all you do. Naturally, being an animist, you ascribe this to the Great Black One "caring for" and "protecting" you, and truly believe it has your best interests at heart. You also believe it's alive, in a strange sense, and can eat Berries....

We players, of course, can put enough pieces together to realize it's actually Wise Elder eating all the Berries, and that the Great Black One is nothing more than a lump of decaying centuries-old rubber and rusted metal, but such thoughts would never enter the Hero's head. :D You could think of this world as being the proto-PMD - give them another few thousand years to learn how to build houses and furniture (and wheels XD); understand money; grasp the concept of agriculture; and to pick up practicing altruism and exploring for the sake of it as a hobby ;) Right now, the People are still more animal than human, and still have a ways to go before they can truly ask, "Are we not men?" XD

And as always, thanks for the feedback! ^^

I...think I'm gonna go edit my HOTY votes. Honestly Pink Parka, this hack, in every aspect, is amazing. It...ugh, amazing is the only word that fits. Just keep on going. I am watching this hack. Definitely.

Thank you so kindly for the compliment, Spherical Ice...it really made me smile :) I'll keep on doing my best to make sure the hack maintains "amazing" quality - I pour all my heart and soul into this endeavor, and to know you and others appreciate it really keeps me going! :)

As for HOTY...although I'm quite flattered, I haven't even been nominated for HOTM yet ^^' Don't you have to be a HOTM winner to even be eligible for any of the categories in HOTY? I know those were the rules last year, at least...or did they change it this time?

Momo died in this hack?! Wow, I never saw that coming, I never thought the storyline would just get any better than this. I just kinda wonder why Nintendo never made a Pokémon game that would involve in someone passing away. Do they think it's "not right" or too "violent" or something?

Other than Grovyle in PMD2 (and possibly Giovanni in HGSS, if you believe his leap down Tojho Falls was suicide); the concept of death is one that's relatively unexplored territory in Pokemon games. It's certainly interesting to think of how Game Freak would handle such a topic...though I don't count on it happening anytime soon XD

As for Momo, making that particular twist in the plot public through the posting of the intro videos was, in essence, me beta-testing the entire concept of character death in ROM Hacks. I wanted to make sure I'd handled the whole affair with taste and dignity while at the same time not shying away from the realities of it; and I also wanted to make sure that it evoked the proper responses - people finding it sad or shocking or otherwise emotional; or people finding that it was at least handled in a sensitive and competent manner, if they're not the sort to get emotional over sprites. Momo is not the only named, important character who dies (and her death isn't even the saddest and most tragic one; if the one person other than me who knows most of the plot details' reaction is any indication), so it was important to me to sort of "test the waters" with the entire concept, so to speak :)

Well anyways, back onto the topic. What I would recommend is maybe trying to learn about ASM editing, if you can ASM edit or something... you might be able to remove the sequence where the trainer 'throws the invisible PokéBall', like what Coolboyman has done with Pokémon Prism. But you don't have to do it if you don't want to, it's just tip.

After reading your post several days ago, I actually did my best to investigate ASM, and THUMB/ARM assembly in particular. Up until yesterday when I resumed work on the game itself I was merely reading most everything I could find on this topic; but without much success in the "getting it and understanding it" department - while I can sort of follow it to a degree; I am, deep down, a very right-brained individual. ^^' Anything involving numbers and the rigidly analytical nature of computers and the programming languages written for them makes my poor brain ache. It's like me trying to read pidgin - it's in English, and I can sort of grasp what it's trying to say; but in the end I might as well be reading moon-runes for as much sense as I ultimately get out of the experience ^^; Unless some kind-hearted soul educated in the ways of THUMB wants to write routines for me; I think I can safely say Super Rising Thunder! will contain no ASM, aside from a single instance involving a Shiny Flygon XD

Maybe also having a double battle with the Spearows with lower levels might be a better idea than battling one after the other. Which means we could do some more research to creating a double wild Pokémon battle, like the system that is in Pokémon Black and Pokémon White.

In Ruby; I know that if you get into a double battle with just one Pokemon, it clones your poke so that there's two identical whatever's in your party at the moment on the field. A two-vs-one battle with the two out on the field at once, and just one of you with no cloning, would be a really interesting and fun idea; but it's another of those things that seems impossible without precious ASM knowledge ^^'

This is honestly the most moving, original, feature full, amazing, etc. hack I have ever seen. I'm honestly second guessing all the work I've done on my own hack. Amazing job, honestly, and as Gira said, please don't ever give up on this. It's so absolutely amazing (I really need to quit saying that word x.x) that I now have a favorite, which is something I couldn't say in my past 4 years here at PokeCommunity, and I haven't even played yet!

Thank you so very kindly, Ooka :) But don't second-guess your own hack and your own work - there are people out there who are much more talented than myself (and not just the ASM hackers ^^' ); but instead of focusing so much on how I pale in comparison to these talented souls, I focus on doing the best I, personally, can accomplish; even if it's not going to shake the Pokemon ROM Hacking community in any significant way. And besides, I haven't even seen your hack yet (I took a look around, but other than a very old project, you don't seem to have a hack posted) - I could find you better than me! =D

Wow. I just watched all three videos, and I yearn for more. Despite the constraints placed upon you by the ROM base, you've produced something really interesting and unique.

My only qualm is the lack of consistency with the sprites, but it's not the most important thing to be worried about anyway. It's only the angle of the drey trees that's off, because it doesn't match the other trees, but I suppose it helps them stick out.

Anyway, fantastic game so far. I look forward to seeing more and eventually playing this in the future.

Thanks for pointing out the drey trees, Amachi - I didn't even notice their angle was off! =D (What would I do without you guys and your feedback? XD ) I'm a bit attached to them (Platinum's trees are so gorgeous... ^^' ) and I like that their larger size makes them stand out; but I'll keep my eyes peeled for similar looking tree tiles that wouldn't be inconsistent with the angle of the main foliage :) And thanks for your other kind words, too!

I have to agree. Really, this is one of the most different, original hacks I've ever seen, I've loved it since I laid eyes on it. I don't mean this to sound like I'm rushing you or anything, but really, don't ever let this hack go without some kind of release. It happens all too often- we see a fantastic idea, and it dies because the creator has to move on to other things in real life. I implore you to not let that happen with this.
Keep up the great work, PPG :)

Awwww, thank you, giradialkia (and only just this second did I realize your name refers to Giratina/Diagla/Palkia XD )! I do have a bit of a reputation for leaving things I start unfinished - *cough* *cough* Paws for Alarm...if I had a nickel for every time I've gotten a "WHEN IS CHAPTER SIX COMING OUT" comment... *cough* *cough* - but I really don't want to do that here in this case. A game like this could never get by with "just" a beta release because it is so plot-driven; there would always be loose threads dangling in the wind and concepts left forever unresolved for the players if I let it die after a first beta (or worse - never releasing it at all!). I am dedicated to seeing this through, even if it takes me two more years to finish the game - I swear on a stack of old decaying tires that barring some horrible accident, I'll never let SRT die XD

I have a things to say about the game mechanics. I seem to remember that if you wipe out on Ruby before you got to Oldale Town, you warped back in front of your house? so I guess that if you wipe out whilst fighting the Spearow, you could set it to warp back to the start of the dungeon? Also presumably you've set Pichu to learn SuperThunder at Lv. 6 to tie in with the story - well if the player loses several times against the second Sprearow but beats the first one, that would mean Pichu would grow to Lv. 6 before then and be able to use the move in that battle? I dunno, you probably know better than me. ^^'

Thank you for pointing this whole thing out, Kip! Remember what I said a few posts up about me and my lack of foresight? This is another instance of such ^^' I wanted the Spearow to be reasonably high leveled (the first the same as you, the second one level higher) to make it believable that these birds are a legitimate threat that could have overpowered Momo - and potentially overpower you, too - but the issue of you losing the battle is a serious one. After I first read your post I went back and played through that battle with the levels left as is about fifteen more times; testing it for difficulty and general playability. Even when the computer was a cheating bastard and landed multiple Critical Hits on me through the course of the battle, I was always able to win. The most damage, without getting a crit, that the Spearow can do to you at a time is about two HP due to your good defenses and the move being "not very effective," and if your first move against each of the Spearow is Charm, that will leave them only able to do 1 HP of damage to you at a time (their only attacking move is Peck). The battle is slow and time consuming more than it is difficult; my research demonstrates, but if you're worried about losing; I recommend stopping on the tile just before the stairs (the script that triggers the encounter is right on the stairs) and saving your game, via savestate or the save function. If you lose, just reset =D This will also eliminate the current glitch issue of being warped to map 0.0 (Petalburg City) if you happen to die before getting to Pikpik Grove (Odale Town) since there isn't a defined healing place before then (due to plot, there is no "back to your house" warping) - not to mention avoiding the issue of reaching Level 6 before the Spearows are throughly beaten down ^^' I suppose I could lower the Spearow's levels to make the battle throughly idiot-proof and thus insure the Player's victory and earning of SuperThunder, but I'm worried if I do that; it wouldn't be realistic anymore as to how they could ever have caused such damage to Momo :( It's a Catch-22, really...

Beautiful... moving... awesome... I cannot add more...
Poor Momo... she did not deserve such an awful destiny... but it helps you to gather the strength. That's good. =)
By the way I'd darken Raikou's tail. It looks too pink. =)
I hope to see Super Rising Thunder soon =D

Thank you so very much, Ash493 :) As for Raikou, right now he uses a modified version of Palette 19 - the same palette the Hero uses. This is the palette out of all the ones in Ruby (other than Palette 13, but I can't use that palette since it causes glitches with any sprite that uses Palette 19 - ie, YOU) that lets me get the closest to matching Raikou's actual colors with any degree of accuracy; except for the pinkness of his tail/mane/flowing backhair tresses/whatever they are =D They should be more purple-blue in color, you're right ^^' I can go through Ruby's palettes once more and see if I can find something with yellows and dark blues or purples of various shades together (other than Palette 13), but I can't promise I'll ultimately be able to take care of Raikou's pink problem :( Thankfully though, we won't see him too often =D

I absolutely LOVE this. I'm definitely going to be watching this thread a lot more, magnificent job! Whimsical, in fact!

Thanks a bunch, smellybellysrock! You must be my most loyal fan, what with always commenting and dropping by around here XD Of course, I appreciate it! :) Did this hack inspire your game, Odyssey? ;)

If I didn't respond to you personally; don't worry - I read your post and treasure it along with all the others, and it doesn't mean I think less of you than those to whom I did personally reply :)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Great Black One is a tire... well... that's interesting...
Well the story... I love it... it's really like PMD, beautiful, moving, mysterious...
By the way "The Worm from the North" is it what I think it is?
Well it's awesome and to tell the truth I don't wanna see demo xD I'd be too excited and I'd play it and be dead of waiting for another version =D This story needs to be played complete =D

Other than Grovyle in PMD2
Well... he never did die ;)

I think I can safely say Super Rising Thunder! will contain no ASM, aside from a single instance involving a Shiny Flygon XD Thankfully though, we won't see him too often =D
That's sad :/ I'd like to see some ASM... it'd make hack much better =)

Thankfully though, we won't see him too often =D
Oh :/ I thought Raikou would be more significant part of storyline :/

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I see.
It's understandable if you put it that way. ;)

It seems that this hack will be great. The words you chose gives me an impression that this will be a great game to play.
( I can't really explain what I really mean through English, sorry... =/ )

I wish ye good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back