• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has 3D changed your opinion of any old pokemon? (Part II)

Years
There were a lot that changed my mind, but the biggest surprise had to be dunsparce. After they were able to flesh out the design into the 3d grid, it tremendously boosted some much needed character into this pokemon.

Years
What do you think of the models/animations of the new pokebank pokemon?

Misdreavus is so cute in pokemon amie, it does this adorable little giggle face. I also love porygons idle and battle animations.

Slakoth looks hilarious, he looks lazier than he's ever been.

Why did they have to postpone the release date of the Poke Bank :( ugh I can't wait to see more Pokemon.

The 3D models definitely changed my thoughts on some old Pokemon.

Stunfisk is a notable one, I don't like how flat he turned out. Sorry Stunfisk :(

But on the other hand, I did like how Mr. Mime's one depicts it acting like a real mime. Very clever job you did there, Game Freak.

And I know why Eelektross has Levitate, it's actually shown floating now as opposed to like, bouncing (what) in 5th Gen. Nice to see they made it better now.

Shelmet's one is kinda weird though, but I do like how it hilariously just tips over when it faints.

I like Stunfisk's model. It's really flat but it's like that in the anime too so it makes sense.

Mr.Mime is so awesome. :)

I don't like Torkoal's desing. This smoke seems too "fake". :(

§1

Rocket grunt
Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2022
im curious what the missingno would look like in 3d =3

Years
im curious what the missingno would look like in 3d =3

Yes! I hadn't thought of that! XD
I would imagine something similiar to a matrix and we would get sucked into the game and be caught in an eternal war between the ones an the zeroes. Where missingno is the supreme overlord.

Years
Sneasel, on the other hand, is badass. Crossing its arms and stuff. When I first saw it in-game, it felt like it was a new Pokemon haha.

Yeah I agree with you on Sneasel, it looks really cool with its arms crossed like it's saying "I don't give a bother". And I do like how Meowstic opens up its ears when it's attacking, it's pretty cool.

Another good old Pokemon that I think its 3D model made me like it more was Moltres. It was probably my least fave of the Kanto legendary birds but oh man its flames look even more awesome in this game, especially at night!

As for move animations in general, my faves in this game have to be Retaliate, Calm Mind, Hyper Beam and Brave Bird.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I just wanted realised today that Drowzee was a friend safari pokemon and not pokebank....so I never looked for it before now.

Drowzee has such a strange but cool idle animation, he's kinda creepy.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Something I did not know of until yesterday and thought was really cool is this: Normally when you use Surf, you ride on some navy colored blob (which is the way its been for a while). But in X/Y, when you have a Lapras use Surf, you actaully ride on the Lapras! That's so cool! Maybe its not news to the rest of you, but I didn't know because I haven't used a Lapras yet (boxed the one you get, waiting for PokeBank) and only noticed when my sister showed it to me on her X.

Years
Something I did not know of until yesterday and thought was really cool is this: Normally when you use Surf, you ride on some navy colored blob (which is the way its been for a while). But in X/Y, when you have a Lapras use Surf, you actaully ride on the Lapras! That's so cool! Maybe its not news to the rest of you, but I didn't know because I haven't used a Lapras yet (boxed the one you get, waiting for PokeBank) and only noticed when my sister showed it to me on her X.

I found this very awesome and I hope they can do the same with other Pokemon too in the next games ;)

Years
I always loved Suicune and its 3D Model made me love it even more !!

suicune.gif

Can't wait to see it in action!!

Kite [Argus]

Onion Tamer
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Mar 21, 2014
I found out Stunfisk was flat. It was so hilarious..
3D is nice, because you can actually see how the pokémon looks and moves (a bit).

How come everyone keeps saying this!?

It's based on a flounder so of course it's going to be flat, I'm surprised y'all didn't notice this sooner!

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2019
It didn't really change my opinion on it, but my mind was pretty blown when I found out that the bag Delibird holds is actually his tail.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 5, 2015
I also found it frustrating that Typhlosion had no flames, not even when he attacks. It makes no sense... it'd be like giving Charmander a tail with no flame.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I also found it frustrating that Typhlosion had no flames, not even when he attacks. It makes no sense... it'd be like giving Charmander a tail with no flame.
Limitations of 3D models. Rendering the flames is too much for the hardware. The same happened with Mega Blaziken and Charizard X, where the flames don't look like flames at all.

I don't think people realized 3d models are more limited than sprites. The sprites were way more detailed, whereas the models feel...flat, in textures and color. Art style helps, so it's not a huge problem.

Frankly I much prefer the 2D sprites, but the 3D models for Pokemon are the one thing I actually appreciate in regards to XY's graphics. The animation is great.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Limitations of 3D models. Rendering the flames is too much for the hardware. The same happened with Mega Blaziken and Charizard X, where the flames don't look like flames at all.

I don't think people realized 3d models are more limited than sprites. The sprites were way more detailed, whereas the models feel...flat, in textures and color. Art style helps, so it's not a huge problem.

Frankly I much prefer the 2D sprites, but the 3D models for Pokemon are the one thing I actually appreciate in regards to XY's graphics. The animation is great.

That's a design choice not a limitation of 3D models. They went with celshaded models so I imagine some stuff doesn't look good in such art. But 3D models are capable of much more realism than sprites. The old models from Stadium, PBR, etc. had all the flames and they looked beautiful.

They could use particle effects for flames but it wouldn't look good with the celshaded models they have.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Notice I said it's an art style choice, but that doesn't mean anything. There's smaller, cel-shaded game with more details and color than X/Y. Wind Waker is a big example, the fire there doesn't look like an orange scarf with some light effects like Mega Blaziken's fire.

The older Pokemon games had nice effects but they were ridiculously low poly, which is a bigger loss. Like I said, I don't mind 3D models, but 2D sprites just feel more...refined to me, because of the detail to the art.

Yukari

I Agree, I really don't like the 3d nearly as much as I do the sprites and honestly I would have liked it a lot more if they had gone in a direction similar to Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I Agree, I really don't like the 3d nearly as much as I do the sprites and honestly I would have liked it a lot more if they had gone in a direction similar to Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.
Yep. The way Dream Team stylized their models (3d, but looks exactly 2d) is something that suits Pokemon far more. Wish they did something like that instead, although it would probably take a lot of work and Game Freak are pretty incompetent in technology all said and done.

After seeing XY, cel shaded just seems odd. It doesn't...fit. Especially compared to the older sprites.

Years
Vileplume is actually really huge, I thought it wasn't much bigger than Oddish/ Gloom.
The Ghastly family line looks nice in 3D.
Magikarp is hilarious..

Back