• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
Years
Forum User Name: Figment
Game(s): Sword
Pokémon Type: Electric
Single/Ultimate: Single

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Ok so I think I might hate myself because instead of doing the sensible thing of doing white 2 like I said I would I decided "Screw you white, you can't beat me!" So I started up white 2, beat the first gym leader, caught a male and a female venipede, brought them to the daycare and bred them to get a new fresh one for white, restarted white and beat progressed far enough to trade, traded random patrat for venipede names puera, also traded in my ducklett and patrat from previous run to serve as hm slaves and pignite to laugh at my suffering, grind a lot, beat 2nd gym with Pokémon occasionally listening but strong enough not to hinder me too much catch a lillipup for pick ups because I think I'll need some luck for this, am now in pinwheel forest trying to progress without overlvling for fear of disobedience and try to beat gym so I can get a Pokémon that will listen every time.

Puera (Whirlipede) lvl 24

Hm slaves
Patrat
Ducklett

I've also started a bunch of single runs for fun though I'm pretty far in most so not sure if I should even count them, I know I'm way too far to recount most of my adventures in nearly any of them; yellow psychic, emerald ground, omega ruby normal. All are at least past 4th gym or later.

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Managed to finish forest and reach the gym without lvling too much and fought burgh.
Surprisingly easy compared to last time since I had rollout and I even buffed it with defense curl in order to ensure maximum damage and I one shorted his whole team.
After crying over how much time I lost from deleting rollout last run I recovered and proceeded to leave and fought Bianca and easily defeated her to finally evolve into scolipede.
Now trying to rush forward to finally get a second Pokémon.

I'm going to try updating more regularly after each gym but I may forget.

Puera (Scolipede) lvl 30

Hm slaves
Patrat (slowly lvling it for evolution for extra hms)
Ducklett

Pickup
Lillipup

Moral support/Debbie downer
Pignite

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Been a while since I posted here, but I've recently resumed my mono dragon run. I'm currently preparing to take on the fourth gym in Y.

Current team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Ok I went to route 4 and defeated Cheren.
Reached nimbasa city and immediately moved past it to reach route 16 and started hunting for my second Pokémon.
Found a decent Trubbish and named him Quis.
Spent some time trolling around a lot of trainers I saved for this grind.
Finally went back to nimbasa and surprisingly struggled against N.
After a quite a few failed attempts I found a solid strategy and managed to beat him.
Challenged the gym and didn't have too much trouble beating it.
Proceeded to route 5 and beat cheren... again.
Reached and passed thru Driftveil.
Reached route 6 and started hunting for my last mon.
Found a decent foongus and named her Amanita.
Am now grinding out Amanita with some trainers I saved for this.

Puera (scolipede) lvl 32
Quis (trubish) lvl 31
Amanita (foongus) lvl 23

Hm slaves are unchanged as is the pickup dog though I have dropped pignite due to lack of room.

The run is progressing well and much better than last time. I also am no longer reaching the disobedience threshold as easily as before so that's no issue either.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Dragon run update

Current progress:
Spoiler:

Current team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Dragon run update

Current progress:
Spoiler:

Final Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Hey question for gen 2 is it legal to trade in a larvitar at some point because it's so late in the game you can't really use it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Hey question for gen 2 is it legal to trade in a larvitar at some point because it's so late in the game you can't really use it.

Which type are you using?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
In this case rock but larvitar is basically a huge pain to get in nearly every generation.

In that case I'm not sure since Geodude and Onix are both available before Bugsy, thus making rule #3 inapplicable.
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Larvitar used in this case, but I'm not the one to make the final call on that.

If it had been a Dark type run then you would have been allowed to trade in Larvitar under rule #3.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
In this case rock but larvitar is basically a huge pain to get in nearly every generation.

In that case I'm not sure since Geodude and Onix are both available before Bugsy, thus making rule #3 inapplicable.
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Larvitar used in this case, but I'm not the one to make the final call on that.

If it had been a Dark type run then you would have been allowed to trade in Larvitar under rule #3.

This note under the rules was applied from when I ran the challenge, and the OP just hasn't updated it to say rule #6 instead of #3 (it was rule #3 on my thread).

6. Trading is permitted for evolution, and obtaining version exclusive Pokémon in your region's Pokédex that cannot be obtained otherwise, as long as its level does not exceed the highest level on your team. No HA/Perfect IVs for this trade in, Egg moves are allowed as they provide much needed type coverage in harder runs. You may hack Pokemon to evolve if they evolve by trading if you are incapable of doing so. If the Pokemon requires an item, you must wait until you have the item before hacking the evolution. Using a trade evolution patch on a ROM is also acceptable.
*Note: Trading in Nectars for Oricorio is allowed, as it's a simple form change that doesn't change base stats, this also allows anyone using a specific Oricorio to be used from the first island.
**Note2: Island Scan Pokemon are allowed as well, because although they are not in the Pokedex, they are obtainable within the limits of the game/challenge.
Rule #3 applies to any Pokemon only available in the post-game or not at all, but are still in the Regional Dex, which are: (also incluing all of evo line).
- G/S/C: Anything only available in Kanto/Mt. Silver (i.e. Houndour, Misdreavus, etc.) Same applies to HG/SS, but much more limited due to Safari Zone.
- R/S/E/OR/AS: Beldum
- B2/W2: Archen, Tirtouga, Tympole, Munna, Durant, Heatmor, Cyrogonal, Stunfisk, Larvitar, Croagunk, Carnivine, Tropius, Yanma, Lickitung, Igglybuff, Slakoth, Corphish
- S/M: Porygon, Scyther, Emolga, Riolu, Sewaddle, Togepi, Timburr, Tynamo
USUM: Porygon, Scyther, Heracross, Litleo, Druddigon, Lickitung, Dratini, Emolga, Riolu, Sewaddle, Aron, Rotom, Tynamo

So assuming OP intends for it to work like when I made it, you CAN trade in a Larvitar in GSC, as long as it fits into the general trading rules (No IV breeding and such)
Though this wouldn't apply to HGSS, as you can get Larvitar in the Safari Zone in the mid-game.

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
This note under the rules was applied from when I ran the challenge, and the OP just hasn't updated it to say rule #6 instead of #3 (it was rule #3 on my thread).

So assuming OP intends for it to work like when I made it, you CAN trade in a Larvitar in GSC, as long as it fits into the general trading rules (No IV breeding and such)
Though this wouldn't apply to HGSS, as you can get Larvitar in the Safari Zone in the mid-game.

Ah I just read the part after the rules in this thread and it does say that so it would be perfectly valid for me to trade in 2 larvitars in order to breed in a fresh one for rock, nice. Having a pseudo legend with trade exp boost might be a bit too powerful. Welp time to go catch em for that run.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Dragon run update

Current progress:
Spoiler:

Current team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 4, 2021
I would like to sign in
Username:323k13L
Game:Pokemon Black
Type:MonoGrass
SINGLE CHALLENGE

Last edited:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
I would like to sign in
Username:323k13L
Game:Pokemon Black
Type:MonoGrass
ULTIMATE CHALLENGE

Sorry to interrupt here, but if you're playing just one game, then the challenge is Single! For the challenge to be an "ultimate" challenge you need to play at least one game for every region released so far (that is Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and Alola)! Galar is still considered to be an exception, at least by the Challenge host, but you could go for it as well if you want to!
The same should apply for your sign-up in the Apocalocke (Revised) challenge!

Years

Ultimate Dragon Monotype in Pokémon Ultra Moon

exeggutor-alola.gif
kommoo.gif
kingdra.gif
noivern.gif
drampa.gif
naganadel.gif

FINAL PART

I said I would finish this Challenge before Christmas. And I did it!

Let's dive right into Alola. I started the game with Popplio just so I can get through first Trial quickly. There were no problems and my overleveled Popplio easily beat Totem Raticate. Then I was finally able to get first Dragon-type - Noibat. And the endless grind started. Those small dragons are so squishy and weak. So it took me a while to get it to better level and while I was at it, I also got Bagon after about 15 minutes of searching for it.

Battle with Hala was pretty okay. I leveled up Noibat to level 16 prior the battle to get Wing Attack and it was enough to take care of Machop with just one hit and Makuhita with two. I then switched to Bagon to lure our Crabrawler's Z-Move and heal Noibat. All-Out Pummeling beat Bagon, so I could switch Noibat in safely. My Z-Move later and I finished first island.

Akala Island welcomes me with Pokémon Trainer Sina and her Ice-types. Ewww. Not gonna lie, this battle took me more attempts that I'm willing to admit. So let's just say five.

Lana's Trial was also pretty annoying. Noibat had type advantage over Totem Araquanid, but it was so squishy that Araquanid beat it with just two Bubbles. Luckily, I had some Revives, so I could just send out Bagon and revive and heal Noibat. Took me few Revives, but I was able to Totem Pokémon and finish the Trial.

With that I got Fishing Rod and was able to catch another Pokémon on my team - Horsea. And just in time for Kiawe's Trial. Horsea did a lot of damage with its Water-type Z-Move, but since it's also extremally squisky, Totem Marowak beat it with that bone attack I forgot the name of. But I could finally use Bagon effectively. It resisted Marowak's attack and beat it with Bite.

Nothing interesting happened until Olivia. I was able to beat Mallow's Trial with similar strategy as previous Trials. Noibat used Z-Move, then I switched to Bagon, revive/heal and finish it with Noibat again. After that I found out there is Goomy in Lush Jungle, but it's only available between 5-6am, so I decided to skip it. I couldn't even get Tyrunt in this version. Olivia fight was also pretty easy, I once again used Bagon as shield, while Horsea's Bubble Beam. Bagon was such a great shield that it evolved into Shelgon after this battle.

Ula'ula Island started well. Horsea evolved into Seadra and I was this close to Kingdra. Sophocles' Trial was painful. I was once again forced to use Shelgon, since Noibat and Seadra would have type disadvantage. I taught it Brick Break just in case, but it was still pretty hard battle. Especially because of paralyze. No matter what, Totem Togedemaru inflicted this annoying status with each attack. Took me two tries to beat it, since Shelgon was unable to attack all the time. And Dedenne appeared as SOS Pokémon on my first try.

I was really afraid of Acerola's Trial. Not only is Mimikyu immune to Dragon-type attacks, it's also immune to the first attack in battle. I started with Noibat and used Supersonic, then pop Disguise with Wing Attack. After that I beat it with combined strength of Seadra and Shelgon. After that I was able to get more Pokémon in Haina Desert - Trapinch and Gabite. And I finally got Goomy on Route 17. After some more grinding I had strong team of mid-evolution or even fully evolved dragons. Nothing could stop me. I stomped on Nanu, Team Skull, Aether and everyone between.

I was also able to get Dragon Scale for Seadra around the time I got to Poni Island. And there I also got the very first Alola Dragon-type - Alolan Exeggutor. Dragon Trial was pretty easy. Noivern and Kingdra were once again mvps of that battle.

After that I got another Alola Dragon-type - Jangmo-o. Since I wanted to use as many different Dragon-types as I could, I picked up Poipole. I looked through this thread and couldn't find anything about Ultra Beasts. I evolved it as fast as possible.

This update is already getting long, so let's quickly look at the rest of the game. At this point I had strong fully evolved dragons, so there were no problems. Mina's Trial was surprisingly easy. Naganadel helped a lot with Mina herself and Totem Ribombee, Kommo-o helped with Ilma and Nanu, Goodra and Kingdra with Lana, Garchomp with Kiawe. So that went well. Hapu went down to Kingdra.

Even E4 couldn't stop me. But before facing E4, I caught Drampa. At this point I didn't want to waste time grinding, so I just put it in front of my team and level it on my way to E4.

You can see my team for E4 below, so let's just quickly summarize the fights. There were no fights. At this point majority of my Pokémon were on higher level than Hau's starter. Kahili did fight back a little bit, but it was still nothing.

Overall I would say this was great Challenge. I know it took me how long? A year and a half? Yeah, I should have probably finish it earlier, but there were other challenges I focused on. A lot of time dragons were really weak in early game and laughably overpowered in the end game. I think I'll do another type soon. Maybe Poison or one of the elemental types.

Team

exeggutor-alola.gif

Palmak, Adamant Male Exeggutor
lvl 61, Frisk @Rose Incense
- Dragon Hammer
- Leaf Storm
- Psyshock
- Sludge Bomb

kommoo.gif

Bumbum, Lax Male Kommo-o
lvl 62, Bulletproof @Fightinium Z
- Clanging Scales