Pokemon Trainer and Digimon Tamer

Age 29
She/ Her
File City, Digital World
Seen December 18th, 2020
Posted December 15th, 2020
11 posts
135 Days
So Blastoise is my favorite Pokemon, and I would love to have a gen 8 team for OU with him as the ace.

Blastoise set I have in mind
Rash Nature
Item: Life Orb
Max IVs
4 Atk, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd
-Shell Smash
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake

Earthquake purely there to hit unsuspecting Heatran or anything soft on the defensive side that is weak to Ground. I'm open to suggestions for this set as well.

I basically want a supporting cast to support my boy. Any help is appreciated.

Mobile Tsk

you may have noticed that I'm not all there myself

Age 26
he/him/his
Seen 17 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
1,203 posts
15.2 Years
I think Blastoise is underwhelming as a Shell Smash sweeper and would generally be outclassed by Cloyster and even Omastar in the current OU environment. That being said, if you wish to use it there is some interesting tech that could make it more viable. Earthquake really serves no purpose on this set as Heatran is already easily dispatched by a boosted Hydro Pump and as a coverage move on an uninvested stat it's still pathetically weak even after a boost. It also forces you to run a Rash nature which isn't ideal. Blastoise would really prefer to run Modest. I have seen some tech with Terrain Pulse alongside a terrain setter to provide a pseudo-Weather Ball for Blastoise. You'd likely want to run Lele or Koko for this to give you Toxapex coverage, and you'd wanna give them a Terrain Extender. All in all though I don't really think it's worth it. Have you considered running Blastoise in a lower tier with a more hospitable environment?

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted 17 Hours Ago
I have to echo Tsk's sentiments. Blastoise is going to have a bad time. There's just nothing it offers that something else doesn't already do much better. As far as I'm aware, it's not even that viable in NU, its actual tier.

Edit: Upon further research, it does weirdly have a niche in RU though. Personally though, I think the Spinner/Pivot version is better.
Staff Anime Villain Collab • Petelgeuse Romanee-Conti • My brain trembles!

Squirtlenator

I'll be back...

He/Him/His
Pallet Town 2029
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 9 Hours Ago
So Blastoise is my favorite Pokemon, and I would love to have a gen 8 team for OU with him as the ace.

Blastoise set I have in mind
Rash Nature
Item: Life Orb
Max IVs
4 Atk, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd
-Shell Smash
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake

Earthquake purely there to hit unsuspecting Heatran or anything soft on the defensive side that is weak to Ground. I'm open to suggestions for this set as well.

I basically want a supporting cast to support my boy. Any help is appreciated.
Hello Rose Oni,

I don't know how much knowledge you have when it comes to competitive battling or which resources out there you're familiar with but, I would like to point you in the direction of three that I think would help you out in your endeavor. They are as followed: https://www.smogon.com/, https://pvpoke.com/, and http://pokemonforever.com/teambuilder.php.

Personally, I like to use a bulky variant myself: Modest Nature EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe.

In regards to your set I would change the rash to a mild nature - a water types weaknesses are grass and electric and % wise most of the time the grass/electric moves used against them are special. Rash is a nature that hinders Special Defense which would put more of the disadvantage against the mon in those circumstances. The below is an alternative to your set.

Blastoise @ Life Orb
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump

Also, Showdown's damage calculator is another valuable tool when constructing an EV spread to figure out the precise EVs to allocate to each stat. Good luck with your team building!

VPP |
credit
Fairy