• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal

Artist and Writer
Years
I enjoy them both actually, but I could say, playing in your own RP could get a bit... daunting. Not only do you have to write all the information for the roleplay, which takes time, but you're also writing posts for your character, which also takes a lot of time. If you have the time for that, and love to do it, then I guess there isn't really a problem. But when someone tries to limit themselves, then it seems more like a chore than fun if you want to take the roleplay far as well as taking your character all the way through it.

And no one would want to roleplay when it seems more like a chore than fun. That's kind of my thought. I throughly enjoy both options, but I wouldn't do the first if I had limited time.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Which do you RPers prefer? Be a GM and participate in your own roleplay or GM your own roleplay without participation?

I truly prefer to participate with the RPers. It's much easier for me to guide the story and move the plot if I have a direct hand in it. Plus, it's much more entertaining for me as well.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
Which do you RPers prefer? Be a GM and participate in your own roleplay or GM your own roleplay without participation?

I agree with Supervegeta. If I GM a RP I'd rather prefer to participate and interact with all other characters, and sometimes imo it has to be done to make sure your RP doesn't die.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years

What is it to run a roleplay without actually playing a role? Not my cup of tea, for sure. I've absolutely no interest in writing a book, and to me that's what it boils down to. It's the same reason I don't read roleplays I'm not participating in. (Unless, y'know, I'm evaluating them to see if I want to join them. That's a different story though.)

Of course, what constitutes participation? I find it hard to imagine GMing while controlling literally 0 characters. That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. NPCs are an extremely powerful tool that to me would constitute participation, even though a good NPC has a very restricted role and it's own unique, rather censored perspective. (I try not to write from the eyes of an NPC but rather the character interacting with them, personally.)

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023

What is it to run a roleplay without actually playing a role? Not my cup of tea, for sure. I've absolutely no interest in writing a book, and to me that's what it boils down to. It's the same reason I don't read roleplays I'm not participating in. (Unless, y'know, I'm evaluating them to see if I want to join them. That's a different story though.)

Of course, what constitutes participation? I find it hard to imagine GMing while controlling literally 0 characters. That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. NPCs are an extremely powerful tool that to me would constitute participation, even though a good NPC has a very restricted role and it's own unique, rather censored perspective. (I try not to write from the eyes of an NPC but rather the character interacting with them, personally.)

I think it depends on the style of the RP. For example, your PTA RP is quite relaxed and very open, with that much freedom it would get boring as a GM to not jump in (and you would probably miss a lot as well).

With RPs with stricter stories however the event posts can become their RPs. I for one, in the past, like using NPCs as my characters and showing events from their perspective, rather than just a broad introduction. Using that I have as many characters as are needed, and sometimes interact with the players, but it keeps an air of authority.

Also the GM-is-a-player can throw up problems of self-favouritism if the group is split into teams, or things like levelling up Pokémon/catching Pokémon. It becomes tricky and I think GMs should be careful when RP in their own game.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
Hey people, I just wanted to inform all you guys that I've decided to temporarily quit RPing.

In recent times I've just lost all inspiration to write any kind of post, and RPing has just become somewhat of a chore for me, and not really fun. I haven't been active in any of my current RPs anyways, so I guess I'll be freeing up those spots I was holding for such a long time. I dunno when I'll be back, it may be a week, a month, or whatever.

I'll still be checking out new RPs though, but I won't be joining them. I'll probably contribute to discussion in this thread as well, but that's it. Again, I'm really sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused for some GMs, but there's not much I can do about it right now. See ya guys later then, I guess.

I'm still going to visit PC so if anybody wants to chat just send me a VM/PM.

end dramatic post

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I've noticed both ways in roleplays. In all honesty, I find GMing and participating in your own roleplay a lot more fun than just controlling the RP. This reminds me of movie filming. Not only you want to be the "director" but also you want to act out a character and direct at the same time. It's more work, but if you have the time...you'll be just fine.

Enjoy your time off, DeepImpact. I'll miss your RP posts in the future, let's hope your inspiration to RP again returns! :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Me and parallelzero, though parallelzero does not do so unless I were to go on leave.

And bye Sammy, I know you'll be back in like, three days. ;D

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
Ok thanks just cause I wanted to know who to contact in case my thread dies before its even put up. XD
Ps hasn't nearly happened yet just wanted to prepare.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
Lmao everytime someone says "ps" i feel like i'm being called xD anyways, does anyone have roleplay suggestions for me?

And by sammm! Skymin is right~ you'll probely back within a week though :p

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm gonna go ahead and advertise this (and maybe make a suggestion for PinkSapphire?)

Danger On The SS Anne is now accepting roleplayers! The RP just got posted today. If you're looking for a journey-ish roleplay, as well as a competitive enviroment, then you should like.. totally join. Plus, this is SwiftSign's first roleplay here in the RP Corner (iirc?) so I support him 100%! ^_^

oh oh BY THE WAY... remember the time I asked about reviving a Pokemon-Hunger Games crossover roleplay like.. a month ago or so? I got my permission granted by the original creator yesterday, and he allowed me to revive the RP. So, I cannot wait to get this RP set, and get started as well!

/so excited

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Danger On The SS Anne is now accepting roleplayers! The RP just got posted today. If you're looking for a journey-ish roleplay, as well as a competitive enviroment, then you should like.. totally join. Plus, this is SwiftSign's first roleplay here in the RP Corner (iirc?) so I support him 100%! ^_^

Not to sound too bias, Megan has a good suggestion here though ;3. SUs are open and I'd love to see some people in there - old roleplayers or new!

oh oh BY THE WAY... remember the time I asked about reviving a Pokemon-Hunger Games crossover roleplay like.. a month ago or so? I got my permission granted by the original creator yesterday, and he allowed me to revive the RP. So, I cannot wait to get this RP set, and get started as well!

Oooh interesting! I like the idea of being sent emergency potions, antidotes and maybe even a few TMs. Feel sorry for whoever dies first though >:3 (well, a tiny bit >> << >>).

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
Anyone have any interest in participating in a non-canon Fairy Tail based RP (not to be confused with a fairy tale)? The series struck a cord with me, and I'm debating whipping something up, provided there's any interest. I'm also throwing a few Pokemon-related ideas around in my head, but more on those later.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Anyone have any interest in participating in a non-canon Fairy Tail based RP (not to be confused with a fairy tale)? The series struck a cord with me, and I'm debating whipping something up, provided there's any interest.

I would definitely be interested in this! The fairy tail one that is, I love the series and think it would be a great universe for a RP. I'd just have to figure out how to RP and such beforehand though since I havent RP'd before but I wouldnt mind giving it a shot if you didnt mind me being a newbie.

Saturated Hue

acrobatic effing pirouette.
Years
INFODUMP AHEAD​

IM BACK YAY

Alright, guys, so some of you may have realized that I was MIA since a while ago. Now I'd hate to make excuses, but excuses I must make, because these stuff actually happened to me. For the past three months, it's been nothing but a storm of bad luck for me.

For about a week after I 'left', I had internet issues. I could hardly open Google anymore, let alone actually post several paragraphs here on PC. We called in customer service, and that problem was resolved. Briefly. I don't really understand the mechanics or what was really going on, but after two days' worth of hassle my parents decided to grab a new modem, with a new wireless provider. And so the internet problem was over.

OOOH, BUT I'M NOT DONE YET

After that, something happened, the details of which I'd rather not talk about, that quite upsetted myself and my family. To blow off steam, we went on a three-week vacation to my hometown (which had very, very limited internet connection; the countryside is fun, though!). We returned at the 23rd--I had the ability to return to PC from that date onwards, but it required a little...courage-gathering before I could actually sign-in again. So there's that.

Also, I believe A MASSIVE APOLOGY is in order to GMs whose RPs I left hanging, without a single word of warning (and of course to the RPers as well). I feel horrendous about it, but the whole thing was really out of my hands. Still, I'm terribly, terribly sorry. ;;

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Anyone have any interest in participating in a non-canon Fairy Tail based RP (not to be confused with a fairy tale)? The series struck a cord with me, and I'm debating whipping something up, provided there's any interest. I'm also throwing a few Pokemon-related ideas around in my head, but more on those later.

I'm also saying my interest in this - fairy tail is amaaaaazing (especially Erza~)

Years
I'm going to go out on a limb and present a new topic!

How do you create your characters? Do you base them off something? Do you get a appearance set then work off that? Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back